Job Project Overview
Job Project may be considered as any operation or group of operations pertaining to the management of a business related task. Job Project management software provides a set of integrated features that allow an organisation to collect, track and analyse business activities and profitability across projects of any scale.
The functionality typically includes tools that allow for agreed upon time frames, planning, quoting, budgeting and billing, as well as the management of inventory, resources, documents and digital assets, activities, allocation of plant assets, Clients and Vendors. Retention management is also a key component of Job Project software for both Vendor and Clients, where a fixed amount or percentage and release date is mutually agreed upon at the commencement of the Job Project.
Data visualisation tools can assist with interpreting multiple factors of large data sets. One example of such a tool is a Gantt Chart which graphs tasks against time to assist with Job Project time management. This helps to ensure goals are achieved throughout the project lifecycle and ultimately results in profitability. The Gantt Chart also allows for the synchronisation of resources and activities to ensure that there is no overlap or double booking of resources. Risk Register assessment tools can also be utilised towards this end by providing a repository to capture all identified threats and opportunities relating to the project for consideration.
The SapphireOne Job Project is utilised for any activity where costs and/or income needs to be tracked and calculated. The Job Project may be a large scale project, or as small as a single Job. In either case, a record of both costs and income is a requirement. The user has the ability to manage and revise budgets at a Job Project level, which may be reported through a Profit and Loss (P&L) and/or a Balance Sheet. In addition, the user has the ability to report on Projects at a Project Parent level, Project Child Level and Project Class level.
The Planning / Quote functionality in SapphireOne gives the user the opportunity to plan a project by splitting it into a number of tasks, activities or projects. The basic Costing and Billing details of each may then be monitored. It can be used to compare Expected Costs with Actual Costs, as well as Expected Billing and Actual Billing amounts. The Planning / Quote functionality also displays the quantity and dollar amounts of non-tracked items as well as a total amount of Orders and Purchases that have been processed for the Job Project to date.
SapphireOne Job Project incorporates Plant Costs functionality, commonly used for all mining, constructing, designing, developing, permitting, and testing the applicable plant and other equipment purchased by an organisation that is responsible for the plant. SapphireOne Job Projects is also fully integrated with SapphireOne Contact Relationship Management (CRM) functionality to help Project Managers stay connected with all relationships related to the Job Project, including Vendors, Clients, Resources, Employees and other interested parties.
Job Project Details Page
When first Looking or Modifying a Job Project Inquiry the Details page is the first page the user is presented with. The user can change the Page they are viewing by navigating to the Page drop-down menu on the left hand side of the SapphireOne Toolbar.
This area displays basic information about the Job Project such as the ID, Description, Area and Class.
- ID – By default SapphireOne will automatically create a sequential Job Project number. If this functionality is not required the user may go to Master Defaults and deselect the project number checkbox. If this is done the user will then have to manually enter in a new Job Project ID when any new Job Project is established. SapphireOne recommends establishing an ID naming convention before entering any Job Project ID’s, as once saved these new Job Project ID’s cannot be deleted or reused. However it can be amended by going to Utilities > Utilities > Sapphire Tools > Change ID.
- Description – Enter in a Description or Name for the Job Project. Unlike the ID above, the Job Project Name may be altered at any time.
- Area – This field’s drop down menu is customisable. It allows the user to create a drop down list to select from for any desired purpose.
- Class – All Job Projects may be assigned to a Class. This enables additional Searching, and Reporting for Job Projects within the assigned class. For example, reporting a Profit & Loss or Balance Sheet by Class.
- Status – The status is set by selecting from the drop down list as follows.
- Active – When the Job project is first created it will be set by default as Active.
- Hold – Hold will prevent any further processing of any transactions for the Job Project.
- Finished – The Job Project will no longer be listed in any list of Job Projects, and if linked to a Parent, will no longer be displayed in the Parent Job Project.
- Risk – A risk may be entered with a value of 1 to 25 depending on the severity.
- Company – SapphireOne will automatically enter the company that the user is logged into when this Job Project was created.
- Department – This is an optional field as the entry of a department is dependant on a number of factors. For example one factor might be if Job Project reports are to be generated at the department level.
- Document Paperclip – Clicking on the Paperclip will display the Document Management dialog box. See below for details.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of the System Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button. When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
The Grouping area displays a number of Tags which may be customised by the user. The Grouping Area includes three tags, which are by default named: Tag, Tag2 and Tag3. The user may go to Utilities > Controls > Master defaults > Job Projects Page and rename the Tag headings as required. There is also a provision for the linking of a Parent Job Project to this Project.
- These same three tags are also displayed as part of the details displayed when the list of Clients is on screen. The tags are mainly used for reporting and reconciling Clients details.
- When a detailed query is executed they form part of the list of Fields.
- When a Quick Report is executed they are listed as part of the Master Table and all SapphireOne report writers have these fields accessible.
- All tags can be used within the Custom Inquiry screen.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
- Parent Project – This data entry field must be left blank if the Job Project is not to be linked to a Parent.
- However, if this Job Project is to be linked to a Parent Job Project the link must be established here in a Job Project Inquiry.
- The Parent Job Project must already be set up so that the Parent Job Project’s ID may be entered into this field.
- Parent Project Name – Once a Parent Job Project has been created and the ID entered, it is then known as a Child Job Project by SapphireOne.
In a Job project a Client may be entered as required. This area now displays information about the Client such as the ID, Name, Area and Class.
- Client ID – The Client ID is entered here. SapphireOne recommends establishing a criteria before entering any Client ID’s, as once saved these ID’s may not be deleted e.g. SapphireOne can be entered as Client ID ‘SAPONE’. Once the ID has been created it will become the default Client ID for the Client. Under normal circumstances the Client ID will not be changed or modified, however it can be amended by going to Utilities > Utilities > Sapphire Tools > Change ID. Only an authorised user can modify a Client ID.
- Contact – The first contact in the list of contacts for the Client will be displayed here.
- Phone – The Clients telephone number will be displayed. If the SpliceCom telephone system plug-in has been installed, selection of the Call button, will initiate a call to the telephone number from within SapphireOne.
- Client Job Project No – If the Client has provided a Project number it may be entered here.
- Retention Terms – If retention terms have been mutually agreed for either Client or Vendor, the period that they are set up for must only be set in days. Once the number is entered SapphireOne will add the suffix “days“.
- The user enters the percentage amount along with the number of days until the payment is due. When a Sales Client Invoice (SCI) or Job Client Invoice (JCI) is raised, and a Job Project is assigned to it, the total amount owing will split across two invoices when posted. One Invoice will display the retained amount and the other will display the remainder due.
- The retained amount Invoice’s due date will reflect the number of days assigned in the ‘number of days until payment due’ field, located in the Job Project.
- This functionality is available for a CI, SCI and a JCI.
- Purchase Order – If a specific number is to be used on all invoices for the project, it may be entered here. SapphireOne will automatically enter that number into all invoices. The user may alter it if required on a transaction by transaction basis.
If a Client is entered into the Client Area, SapphireOne will access the Clients Master Record and display their credit details here. This display of the Clients Total Due, Credit Limit, Remaining Credit, Last Billing Date and Invoice Number is in real time.
- Total % – This refers to the suggested value of the client retention to be charged for the Job Project. Based on this, the user can manually decide the percentage per invoice in the Percentage invoice field below.
- % Per Invoice – When data entry is performed the Percentage Per Invoice auto fills the retention value on the individual line. This Percentage will be applied to all invoices for the Job Project.
- Update From Budget – Selecting this button will pre-fill the Total Percentage field based on the previous budgeting set up within the Planning / Quoting Page of a Job Project.
- Owed – This relates to the amount retained.
- Practical Completion – This refers to the practical date in which the Job Project is expected to be completed except for minor defects. This can be entered as a percentage or a date.
- Defects Liability Expiration – Job Projects require that Defect Liability Insurance is taken out. The Projects Defects Liability expiry date may be entered here as a percentage or a date.
This area has two data entry fields. They are directly linked to any timesheets that are used in the Job Project.
This area is also directly linked to the Open Billing Run tool on the Tools drop down menu when a Job Project Inquiry list is on screen.
- Start – The Start date is the date the Billing cycle will begin.
- Days – This refers to the number of days within the Billing Cycle.
- When negative days are entered it will be billed from the following month. For example, -10 will be 10th of every month, -31 will be the 31st for a long month. But for a shorter month it will be the last day. For February it could be the 28th if it is a leap year.
- For any new JCI’s with a Job Project set up with the bill cycle details entered, SapphireOne will change the delivery date to the end of the billing cycle. This is calculated from the start date as entered.
On the More Details page of the JCI, all the transaction lines between Date In and Delivery Date of the transaction will be loaded. The user can then click on the Auto button to allocate all of them.
When time sheets are imported, SapphireOne looks for all time sheets before the calculated finish date. Any that have been missed or not included from earlier billing runs will be included as well.
This area has three data entry fields for the entry of a Sales Rep and a Carrier if required.
- Sales Rep – If required for the Job project a sales rep may be entered here. They may be reported on and used in custom reports.
- Carrier – A Carrier may be entered here. They may be reported on and used in custom reports.
- Activity – A custom rate for an activity may be entered here.
In this area Start, Estimated Finish and Actual Finish dates may be entered.
A date picker is available to simplify the entry of a date.
Contacts Area CRM
When SapphireOne CRM contacts is first selected from the drop down menu SapphireOne displays a complete list of contacts.
- When SapphireOne CRM contacts is accessed from an Inquiry, all Contacts in SapphireOne with a status of Active will be listed as can be seen in the screenshot below.
- It should be noted that contacts, when accessed here in a SapphireOne CRM contacts Inquiry, and from the Palette, the Main tool bar operates as normal. The user simply highlights a contact and uses, Look , Modify or New from the main toolbar. When changes are to be Saved use the Save icon
- Highlighting a contact and selecting the Delete button on the main toolbar will remove the selected contact. In addition from within a table you can use the Minus button for the same result.
- Selecting the Add button on the main toolbar will start the creation of a new contact. In addition from within a table you can use the Plus button for the same result.