In a materials-handling context, a Manifest is a list of goods either being delivered to or shipped from a warehouse. A Manifest will generally include a listed description of the cargo items, the quantity, origin and the destination. In logistics, a Manifest describes a list of Inventory based invoices carried on a mode of transport, such as a ship, plane, truck, train or van.
In SapphireOne, the Manifest Inquiry screen is a file containing delivery dockets, invoices, picking and packing slips and electronic files that can be sent electronically via EDI (Electronic Data Interchange). The SapphireOne Manifest Inquiry function allows the user to define and record a multitude of details including the Delivery List, Carrier, Despatch Date, Despatch Location, Vehicle, Transport API, designated delivery Time-Slot, the Temperate, the number of Items, Cartons and Boxes being transported, the Weight of the goods, Con Notes, and the Employee the goods were picked by. The user also has the ability to add unlimited date and time stamped Notes, and to generate seven different predefined Custom Reports for easy generating electronically and printing directly from the Manifest Inquiry file.
The user can adjust the order of the columns by clicking on the column and dragging to the left or right. Like other List Windows in SapphireOne, the user can re-organise the information displayed by highlighting and using functions from the Options Menu.
From this list the user can Look at all Manifest Lines. The user may also Modify the Manifest Lines. This can also be done using the correct keyboard shortcut. Double clicking on the line will also bring up the Manifest Inquiry screen.
Select the New Icon to create a new Manifest file.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
Manifest Inquiry Details Page
The Details Page is the first page to open when a New Manifest record is created or when a Manifest line is Modified . Once a Manifest record has been created it may be modified at any time. Transactions may be added to it or removed from it.
Manifest Details Area
- Carrier – Enter the Carrier/Run Name details. As the user you have the ability to add unlimited Carriers by simply typing in a new Carrier name and selecting Enter or Tab. These Carriers will then be saved in the drop-down menu for future use.
- Despatch Date – Enter the Despatch Date. Select the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne calendar and select the date you require.
- Vehicle – Enter in a Vehicle if required by entering the exact ID. If the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbol is entered SapphireOne will display the same list as when a Manifest Vehicle Inquiry is executed as this field is directly linked to it. Once the required Manifest Vehicle has been selected the user can click on the underlined Vehicle text heading to utilities the Sapphire Mapping System. This is only available to SapphireOne customers who have purchased the Sapphire Custom Web Pack. If you do have the Sapphire Custom Web Pack, SapphireOne will generate a link to the Vehicle, showing in real time the Vehicle location, date and time in the Sapphire Custom Web Pack Mapping System.
- From – Enter the despatch location that the goods will be departing from.
- Notes – Enter any information that the carrier is required to see. i.e. Delivery Instructions. The green clock is available to the left of the memo area to insert today’s date and the time.
- Transport API Button – This is available to SapphireOne users who have purchased the Sapphire Custom Web Pack. It will create an API to 3rd party transport and logistics providers.
- Reload Delivery List Button – The user has the ability to reload the delivery list based on a change of date. For example, if the goods did not go out on the designated day, you may be required to reload the delivery list for the following day.
- Entered – This is automatically populated with the SapphireOne user who created the Manifest, plus the date and time it was created.
- Modified – This is automatically populated with the SapphireOne user who most recently modified the Manifest, plus the date and time it was modified.
- Status – The status will be automatically set as Active and this may not be altered directly by the user. Once Period End has been run for the period that the Manifest item has been created in, it will automatically be made inactive 30 days later.
- Internal Ref – To add an Invoice to the Manifest, enter the Internal Reference number of the Invoice in this field and select the icon. This will add the invoice to the Manifest Line List area. To Delete a Manifest, highlight the line and select the icon. The user also has the ability to scan the barcode of the Invoice which will automatically add the Invoice to the selected Manifest.
- Document Paperclip – Select the paperclip to add any documentation relating to the Manifest. Further information on Document Management in SapphireOne can be found below.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
Manifest Invoice Lines Area
Each Invoice added to the Manifest will appear in the Manifest Invoice Lines area.
To add the invoices to the Manifest Lines area, enter the exact Internal/Invoice Reference Number of each invoice in the Internal Ref field and select one at a time. To delete an Invoice, highlight it then select the button. The user is also able to either Look or Modify an Invoice in the Manifest Lines area.
- Int Ref – This area is automatically populated with the Internal Reference number entered by the user. The Int Ref number is the number that is automatically generated by SapphireOne when a user creates an Order or an Invoice.
- Del Date – This field is automatically populated with the delivery date specified by the customer on the invoice.
- Client ID – This field is automatically populated with the Client ID on the invoice.
- Client Name – This field is automatically populated with the Client Name on the invoice.
- Suburb – This field is automatically populated with the Clients Suburb on the invoice.
- State – This field is automatically populated with the Clients State on the invoice.
- Timeslot – Enter the predefined time chosen by the customer that the items must be delivered in.
- Items – This field is automatically populated with the number of Items on the Invoice.
- Cartons – This field is automatically populated with the number of Cartons on the Invoice.
- Four User Definable Fields – There are four user definable Custom fields that the user has the ability to name according to their requirements. Further information on how to customise the headings is detailed below.
- Temperature – Specify the temperate that the items are required to be shipped in.
- Boxes – The number of boxes listed on the Invoice. Each Box Label has the ability to be printed in sequential order e.g Box 1/10, 2/10, 3/10.
- Weight – The total weight of the particular invoice.
- Con Note – If the user is using a 2rd party logistics party to deliver the goods, the con note provided by the 3rd part logistics company can be entered here.
- Picked By – The name of the employee who picked the goods on the invoice.
- Tag – This relates to the Tag dropdown menu in the footer of the Manifest Inquiry screen. The Tag dropdown is user customisable. Its purpose is to display additional commonly entered information. If the user wishes to remove a word hold down the command key Mac or the Control key PC.
The Footer area at the bottom of the screen display all totals for the Manifest record plus additional Manifest functionality.
- Sequence – The automated SapphireOne sequence number given to the Manifest.
- Total Invoices – The total number of invoices attached to the current Manifest.
- Tag – The Tag dropdown is user customisable. It’s purpose is to display additional commonly entered information. If the user wishes to remove a word, hold down the Mac/command key or the Windows/Control key.
- Pick Button – This button changes the status of invoices that have a Tag of ‘Ready’ to ‘Picking’, indicating on the invoice that the items are ready to be picked in the warehouse. Once the items have been picked, the user can manually change the Tag of the items to ‘Picked’ on the invoice. There is a function within the Sapphire Custom Web Pack which will automatically mark all Picked items as ‘Picked’.
- Delivered Button – Selecting the Delivered button will change the Tag of the Invoice to ‘Delivered’, indicating that all items have been successfully delivered to their desired location.
Once an Invoice is entered into the Manifest Inquiry screen, it is automatically recorded in the Shipping page of each individual Invoice.
How to Customise The Manifest Lines Field Headings
The user has the ability to custom name the four user definable fields in the line entry area of the Manifest Inquiry screen. This can be done by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > Invoice Page. There is a specific area on the Invoice Page named Manifest, and No 1 through to No 4 enable the user to custom name the four column headings as they require. Until an entry is made in Master Defaults the column headings in Manifest will remain blank.
Print Buttons and Custom Reports
There are seven Print Buttons in the Manifest Inquiry screen. The Print icons may be linked to seven different user created Custom Reports for easy report generation and printing.
To name the Print Buttons, go to Master Defaults in Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > Invoice Page. Reports 1 through to Report 7 enable the user to create any name for a report. The user can then create a custom report of the exact same name to link to the Print icon. Until an entry is made in Master Defaults the Print Icon names will remain blank.
To create the custom report, open the Manifest Inquiry List window, select the Tools icon in the main toolbar and then select ‘Custom Report’. This will create a brand new Custom Report and the user will be presented with a blank report canvas to work with. The Custom Reports must have the exact same name as created on the Print buttons to be linked.
The Action Page is a seperate table that can be added to the major record and transaction tables. This includes actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps plus All Day Notifications. The Action Page can be viewed as the equivalent to CRM functionality for every major Table within SapphireOne Accounting Software.
You can Add or Delete Actions . If you double click on an existing Action it will zoom in ready to modify.
- Diary Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a unique sequence number.
- Title – Enter in a title for this action.
- Type – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in a type. This will then form a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in an Action. This will then form a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne will enter in the user who is creating this action although this may be altered if required.
- Private – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will only allow the User as entered to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and will not be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – A tag may be attached to an action. This will then form a permanent tag within the drop-down.
- Link – When created from a function a link to the function is automatically created by SapphireOne.
- Check List area – A user created check list for creating actions. A check box is provided so that a user can selected them off as they progress.
- Dates and Times Area:
- Start/Finish – You can set an action to have a Start and a Finish time, or select the check box for an all Day option.
- Completed – Once an action has a completed date entered it will no longer be active and displayed in any lists of actions.
- Alarm Area – An alarm can be set to email someone at a certain date and time, or send your user a reminder and/or email if the email has been entered.
- Recurring Area – If necessary the alarm may be set to at set periods established by the Type drop down menu. The recurring period may also be set by date if required.
- Notes Area – You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
- Invite Attendees Area – You can invite multiple attendees to your event and keep track of if they have accepted or rejected your invite. These attendees can be notified by email if the email has been entered.
The Documents Page is used to store and record documents and information relating to data entry, transactions and master tables.
Any type of document can be attached to the Documents area. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files and more.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document or file from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
Please note that when creating a new record in SapphireOne, you are unable to attach a document until the record has an entered ID.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. (The appropriate software must be installed on the local computer or device).
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a popup which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. (The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version).
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to this transaction. (The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local computer, device or network).
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted transaction or record.
- When the Add button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer or device.
The Title and Type of the document are displayed in the Details Area.
Last Modified Area
The documents area keeps a record of the Time and Date of when the document was last modified in addition to who initially added it.
The links area allows you to record links to other places this document has been attached to. You can add and remove Links using (+) and (-) .
The history area records changes made to the document.
Any relevant notes which relate to the document may be recorded here. Clicking the green clock icon will add a date/time stamp.