Pay Run Overview
When all maintenance has been completed in the Working Transactions area and/or the Working Transactions Wizard, the new Pay is ready to be processed.
Pay Run is used to post transactions including PAYG Calculations to the Employee’s History. It also updates the accounting totals, and creates the appropriate General Ledger journals and transactions in SapphireOne. From this the generation of your General Ledger reports may also be performed. You may also select the relevant printed reports, including Pay Slips.
Make a Backup – It is very important that you make a backup before proceeding with the Pay Run.
This facility is located at Payroll/HR > Payroll > Pay Run.
Pay Run Procedure
- Once you have selected Pay Run from the Payroll menu, the screen below will be displayed. Based on the configuration we have applied in Start New Pay there are Weekly employees only in the example below.
- The list will display all employees that have Standing Transactions set up for them for the selected pay period. The Pay Frequency and the Total Net pay is also displayed for each employee.
- You may select individual Employees one at a time or use the buttons to Mark All or Unmark All.
- The four buttons on the right-hand side may be used to mark according to the Pay Frequency required.
- Once you have selected the Employees to be paid select the Process button. The following screen will be displayed.
- Next go to the Pay Period / STP Range Area. Take care and CHECK the dates as proposed by SapphireOne. Today’s date will be automatically entered as the Pay Date the Start and Finish dates will also be inserted as calculated by SapphireOne. If necessary, alter these as required.
The user should be aware that SapphireOne refers to the computer’s internal clock for dates when a pay run is commenced and executed. Also note any dates that SapphireOne applies as a default should always be checked by the user and altered as necessary. This relates in particular to starting and ending dates for a Pay Run.
- From the Options area select the reports that are required. The reports can also be printed later on after the Pay Run, if preferred. Most of these reports are available by going to the main tool bar and selecting: Payroll/HR > Report. This is where you set up the details to be included in your electronic EFT file that may be sent to your bank. The following options are available.
- Payslips – You may select the order you require the pay slips to be emailed or printed. Check the payslips, to ensure they are correct.
- Pay Summary – Provides an abbreviated version of the Payslip.
- Holiday Pay – Provides the details of holiday pay for the selected employees.
- Care / Personal Pay – Provides the details of the Care / Personal Pay for the selected employees.
- Cash Summary – Not normally used. Lists the physical notes and coins dispensed to an employee as their pay.
- Cheque Summary – Not normally used. Lists the physical value of any cheques dispensed to an employee as their pay.
- Direct Credit Schedule – The electronic EFT funds that were transferred to the employees bank account.
- Email Batch Payslips – SapphireOne recommends that this checkbox is selected so that when a Pay Run has been completed, all employees processed in the pay run will receive an email with their payslip attached, eliminating the need to manually send out individual emails to each employee.
- ABA File for EFT – If selected SapphireOne will read the company information into the ABA file from the details entered into the second page of a Company Inquiry configured within Utilities > Controls > Company Inquiry > More Details.
- Run Pay Run on Server – The Pay Run can be run on the server instead on your computer. This might be desirable for reasons of performance.
Take care when selecting the check box as any employees selected in the Pay Run screen on the previous page will be included in the Advanced Pay.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
Final Pay Run Procedure
Depending on the selections made in the checkboxes above the user will be presented with a number of alerts when the Process button is selected. The first will be an alert confirming that the Pay Run has completed successfully.
Depending on selections made from the checkboxes on the previous page other screens will be displayed as well.
- Payslips – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will display the print dialog screen allowing the user to print the payslips.
- ABA for EFT – If this checkbox is selected SapphireOne will display ta screen asking the user to enter in a date for the creation of an EFT file.
- Once a date has been entered and the OK button selected SapphireOne will display another screen asking for the Name of this EFT file and allow for the selection of a save location.
- If the Batch Email checkbox is selected SapphireOne will also go through the emails process if it is able to as each and every employee must have their email details entered correctly in their employee record.
- When the pay is finally processed SapphireOne will display a screen asking for a batch number for this pay.
- SapphireOne will then will display an alert asking if you want to group the EFT payments on the bank reconciliation.
- The Pay Run is complete.
Post Pay Run Procedure
- Reports – When the Pay run and all corrections have been completed generate the necessary reports.
- Backup – Make a final backup of the data for this Pay Run. This backup should be kept in a secure location. A back up of each Pay Run should be kept permanently.
- ABA File – once selected this checkbox will read the company information into the ABA file from the details entered into the second page of a Company Inquiry. This can be found at Utilities > Controls > Company Inquiry > More Details.
Reverse Pay Run
The Reverse Pay Run function is located at Utilities > Utilities > Custom Functions . All Custom Functions for all Modes are grouped here under four Tabs. Select the Payroll Tab.
If a problem occurs during a Pay Run such as an incorrect transaction for an Employee, you can reverse the Pay Run at this point. You may select individual Employees to reverse, or select the whole Pay Run by selecting the Mark All button.
This screen is identical to the screen when the Pay Run was being processed a few pages before in this manual except the form heading is now Reverse Pay Run.
Only transactions from the Last Pay Run can be reversed. Previous Pay Runs will not be displayed through this screen and cannot be reversed.
Single Touch Payroll
SapphireOne is Single Touch Payroll compliant and as of 2021 SapphireOne is now compliant with Single Touch Payroll Phase 2.
Once you have completed a pay run the details are stored in a sub menu from the History dropdown menu.
The procedure is simply, select the pay Run and select the checkbox.
This function can be found by going to: Payroll > History > Pay Run Log / STP.