The Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode provides users the ability to view and store documents and files either within SapphireOne or in a separate folder not linked to the data file. It serves as a single repository for all documents held within the SapphireOne data file, allowing users to add New documents, Modify , View or Delete existing documents from the Documents Inquiry window.
SapphireOne DMS enables users to store any type of file or document, with no limit on the number of documents that can be stored or the duration of storage. Examples of document types include Adobe Acrobat, spreadsheet documents, word processor documents, photo files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, and MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, settings are available for users to restrict the size of each individual document and choose where the documents should be stored – either within the data file itself or in a separate folder. These options can be modified by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. In the Documents area in the right-hand corner of the SapphireOne Page, users can set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10 MB). Additionally, there are two radio buttons allowing users to select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file or ‘Store as Files’ separate from the data file.
Upon opening the Documents Inquiry window, users are presented with a screen displaying all documents currently stored within the SapphireOne data file. The only documents not displayed are those marked as private and not viewable by the user.
How to Add Documents to SapphireOne DMS
SapphireOne’s Drag & Drop functionality enables users to insert any type of document or file into SapphireOne by simply dragging the selected file from the desktop into the Documents Inquiry window in SapphireOne. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user.
Alternatively, users can select the New icon in the main toolbar to add a new document, and Modify to edit an existing document. The Look an be used to view a document without making any modifications. Documents may be deleted by selecting the Delete icon. To select multiple documents in the list, users can use the Control or Shift keys to choose more than one document.
When opening an existing document or creating a new Document Inquiry, users are presented with a window containing all the document information.
Documents Details Area
- Full Name: This field displays the full name of the document.
- Short Name: This field shows the shortened name of the document, which is the name displayed in the Document Inquiry list window.
- Imported: This field automatically logs the date and time the document was imported, as well as the user who performed the action.
Dictation and Speech to Text Overview
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line.
The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
The Notes Area is designated for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for each note added.
Additionally, the Notes area automatically maintains a user log whenever changes are made to the document. For instance, if the document is renamed or new links are created, SapphireOne records the date, time, and user responsible for the modifications..
- Version – The Version functionality allows users to maintain records of different versions of the same document. In the Version field, users can input the current version number of the document. To update the document’s version, select the ‘Update Version’ button in the lower right-hand corner and choose the new version to import. After selecting the file, the user will be prompted to enter a new version number. The new version will now be the available document, and all previous versions will be recorded and accessible within the History area of the Document Inquiry.
- Type – This field displays the type of the document. For example, Adobe Acrobat, spreadsheet documents, word processor documents, photo files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, and MP4 files.
The History area is automatically updated when new versions of the document are imported using the Update Version button. As new document versions are imported, all previous versions will be recorded and available for viewing within the History area. This feature allows users to access the most recently updated version of the document while still maintaining a complete record of the document’s history.
It should be noted that any documents added using the Documents function will not automatically have links to any other functions in SapphireOne. Users will need to manually create the required links within this area.
The Links area is used to connect documents to specific areas or transactions within SapphireOne. It can also be utilised to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function within SapphireOne, the links area will automatically display a line containing this linking information.
To add additional links, select the Add , and the Files pop-up window will be displayed. From the File dropdown menu, choose what you want to link this document to. Then, within the Value data entry field, enter the details (ID). Since this data entry field has a blue background, it is user-searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
For linking simple items, such as connecting a document to a Client or Vendor file, users can use the Document Inquiries Links area to set up the link. For linking to transactions, more care will need to be taken as there will be a large number of transactions to choose from within the data file. In this case, SapphireOne recommends opening the transaction itself, navigating to the Documents Page by selecting the Paper Clip, , and then selecting the Link Existing Document icon to choose and link the required document.
Users have the ability to add as many document links to as many SapphireOne functions as needed. Linkages can also be deleted in this area by using the Delete icon.
Update Version Button
By highlighting a document and selecting the Update Version button, SapphireOne will prompt the user with a find window to import a new version of the document. The user will be asked to provide the version number for the new document. SapphireOne will then delete the old document and replace it with the updated version.
As noted before, prior document versions are recorded and accessible in the Document Inquiry’s History area.
Clicking on the Open Button will open the most recent version of the document.
Document Management using SapphireOne Paperclip Functionality
Paperclip Management Saves Time with Easy File Attachment
The SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) features a convenient Paper Clip button on all data entry and inquiry screens. This enables users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. The system also includes a dedicated page for managing documents related to a specific transaction or record, providing robust version control of the attached documents.
The color of the paper clip serves as a visual indicator of the status of the attached documents. A red paper clip indicates that there are no documents currently attached to the transaction or record, while a green paper clip indicates the presence of one or more attached documents. Additionally, the word “Items” is preceded by the number of attached documents, providing a clear and concise representation of the current status.
SapphireOne’s Document Management System is highly versatile and can accommodate a wide range of document types, including Adobe Acrobat, spreadsheets, word processing documents, photo files, JPEGs, CSV files, HEIFs, and MP4 files. With the ability to store an unlimited number of documents for an indefinite amount of time, the system provides users with a comprehensive and efficient solution for managing all their important files and documents.
In SapphireOne, users have the flexibility to control the size of individual documents and determine where they are stored through the Master Defaults settings. These settings can be accessed by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page.
Within the Documents area of the SapphireOne page, there is a Document Size Limit setting with a default size of 10 MB, which can be adjusted as needed. Additionally, users can choose to store the documents either as part of the data file or as separate files, by selecting the appropriate option from the two radio buttons provided.
To attach a document to a transaction, simply click on either the or Paperclip button. The Document List window as seen below will be displayed allowing the the user to select the desired file to attach.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
SapphireOne also provides users with the convenient Drag & Drop functionality to attach documents. To use this feature, simply drag a document from your local computer into the Document List screen and it will be attached automatically. This streamlined process saves time and effort and makes it easier to manage your important files and documents within SapphireOne.
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus button to select a document to upload from the local computer.
SapphireOne’s document management system provides users with the ability to easily manage their attached documents. After a document has been attached, the user has the option to rename it by right-clicking on the file and selecting Rename This feature is useful for maintaining consistency in document names across all records and helps to keep the system organized and efficient.
Documents Area within Document Management System (DMS)
- Open – By clicking on this button, the document will be opened for viewing, allowing users to review its contents without having to leave the SapphireOne system. This feature provides a convenient and streamlined way to access and review important documents within the context of the larger document management system.
- Update – When this button is selected an alert is displayed allowing the user to import a new version of a highlighted document, enabling version tracking. After selecting a new version, the user enters a version number. The latest version becomes available, with previous versions accessible in the History area. The updated document remains linked to associated transactions.
- Scan – This option in SapphireOne provides users with the ability to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to a transaction. This feature requires access to a local or network scanner, and the appropriate scanner and software must be installed on the local machine or network. By using the Scan option, users can quickly and efficiently digitize physical documents and associate them with the relevant transactions within SapphireOne.
- Save – This button in SapphireOne allows users to save the currently highlighted document to disk. This feature provides a convenient way to export a copy of the document for backup or further use outside of the SapphireOne system. By clicking the Save button, users can easily access a digital copy of their important documents and ensure that they are properly preserved and accessible.
- Link Documents – With SapphireOne, users have the ability to link a highlighted document to one or more transactions within the data file. To do this, the user simply clicks the “Link” button, which will bring up an alert allowing them to make their selection. This feature provides a convenient way to associate important documents with multiple transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Link Existing Documents – SapphireOne provides users with the ability to link existing documents in the data file to the current transaction or record. To do this, the user simply clicks the Link Existing button, which will bring up an Alert allowing them to choose from a list of available documents. This feature provides a convenient way to associate existing documents with additional transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Delete – This option in SapphireOne allows users to remove the currently highlighted document. By clicking the Delete button, the selected document will be removed from the system, providing users with a simple way to manage their attached documents and ensure that only relevant and up-to-date information is stored within the system.
- Plus – SapphireOne includes a search function that makes it easy for users to select a document saved on their local computer. This feature provides a convenient way to quickly locate and attach the desired document, streamlining the process of adding and managing important files within the SapphireOne system.
Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides users with additional information about the selected document. When a document is selected in the Documents area, the Details area will automatically display the title of the document and the type of file. This information helps users to quickly identify and manage their important files and documents, providing a more efficient and organized system for document management.
Notes Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock button to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Document Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides additional information about the selected document. This area automatically displays information such as the date and time the document was added, the document number, and the user who added the document. This information helps users to quickly understand the context of the selected document and provides a comprehensive history of the document’s status and interactions within the system. The Document Details area is a valuable resource for managing and tracking important documents within SapphireOne.
History Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The History area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne tracks all version changes and automatically displays the document’s history in this area.
As new versions of the document are imported using the button, the History area will be automatically updated, ensuring that all previous versions of the document are recorded and available for viewing. This enables users to access the most recent version of the document, while still maintaining a complete history of all versions.
The History area provides a valuable resource for tracking the evolution of a document and understanding how it has changed over time. By having a complete record of the document’s history, users can easily review past versions and understand the context of the changes that have been made.
Links Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Links area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) is used to link documents to specific transactions or areas within SapphireOne. This area provides a comprehensive view of all linking information related to the document, including any functions used to import the document into SapphireOne.
By linking documents to transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can easily associate important information and files with the relevant transactions, providing a more organized and efficient system for document management. The Links area is a valuable resource for understanding the relationships between documents and transactions within SapphireOne.
To add additional links to a document in SapphireOne, follow these steps:
- Select/highlight the document you wish to link.
- Click the Link Document button.
- The Files pop-up window will be displayed.
- From the File drop-down menu, select the item you want to link the document to.
- In the Value data entry field, enter the necessary details (ID).
Note that the Value data entry field has a light blue background and is searchable by entering the wildcard symbols ‘?’ or ‘@’, making it easier to find the information you need. By linking documents to specific transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can create a more organized and efficient system for document management.
Updating a Document within Document Management
The process for updating a document in SapphireOne is straightforward:
After clicking the “Update” button in SapphireOne, the user will be asked to confirm if they would like to import a new version of the document:
- Confirm that you wish to import a new version of the document by selecting “Yes.”
- The user will then be prompted to choose the updated document to open.
- After selecting the updated document, a secondary dialogue will appear, asking the user to enter an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Enter the desired value for the new version and select “OK.”
By following these steps, SapphireOne will replace the previous version of the document with the updated document. It will also maintain a complete record of all previous versions in the History area. This process ensures that the most up-to-date information is always readily accessible within the SapphireOne system.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
In addition to SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function in Workbook Mode provides users with a centralized repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. This function gives users the ability to add new documents, modify, view, or delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be automatically updated across all areas where the document is linked within SapphireOne. Similarly, any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window.
For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the updated document name will be reflected when viewing the document in the Documents Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Document Control within Document Management
In this example, we have an inventory item with documents attached, such as installation instructions and a packing checklist. The item is added to a sales order, manufactured, shipped, and the job is completed. SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality allows for easy attachment and access to all relevant documents throughout the entire process, from sales order to completion. This improves efficiency and helps ensure all relevant information remains consistently available and up-to-date.
A year after the completion of the job, a revision of the inventory item is made, along with updates to its associated Documents (DMS). To keep the information organized and up-to-date, it is not necessary to create a new inventory item for the revision. Instead, the documents and files can be easily updated using SapphireOne’s DMS file that are attached.
By using the Update button within the DMS, users can import a new version of the document and SapphireOne will automatically keep track of all version changes, ensuring that the most recent information is readily available. This process saves time and effort by allowing users to simply update the documents and files, rather than creating a new inventory item for each revision.
In SapphireOne, when referring back to the original completed sales client invoice or job projects client invoice, the associated documents and files will be displayed in their original state or as they have been updated. The user has the option to view the documents and files as they were at the time of completion or as they currently are, providing a comprehensive and accurate record of all relevant information.
In the screen shot above, both the current and historical documents are attached to the inventory item. As a SapphireOne user, you have the ability to edit the list and choose to delete the historical document by simply selecting the Minus button.
Additionally, you also have the ability to modify the existing document, keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised. This ensures that a complete and accurate record of all revisions to the document is maintained, allowing you to easily reference the most recent version or any previous versions as needed.
The ability to manage both current and historical documents, as well as the option to modify and delete them, provides users with a flexible and efficient solution for document management within SapphireOne.
You can review our Blog and YouTube channel for additional information and resources on SapphireOne ERP, CRM and Business Accounting software.