Employee Department Overview
The Employee Department Inquiry screen within SapphireOne Payroll/HR allows the grouping of Employees into different Departments as applicable to your business.
For companies that have a large number of employees, the grouping of employees into different Departments will greatly assist in the analysis and production of reports generated from SapphireOne. Departments can be used for a variety of purposes, such as grouping for Accounting Department, Management, Sales Department, Consulting etc, or for any chosen financial analysis purposes.
The fields accessible through the Employee Department Inquiry screen are the Department ID, Department Name and linked General Ledger accounts. To add an employee to a Department please go to the Employee Inquiry Details Page.
SapphireOne recommends creating Departments before Employee Inquiry files are created, so that Employees can be easily added to an already existing Department.
To create a New Department or Modify an existing Department, select the Department and click the New or Modify icons as required. Select the Green Tick to save your Employee Department entry.
Once you have set up an Employee Department using the New button, and then created new Employees within this Department, when the Employee Department Inquiry screen is next opened, these employees will be displayed in a list in the lower section of the screen.
To add an existing employee to this Department you would go to an Employee Inquiry, select the required Employee and alter the Department of that Employee. Alternatively, when creating a New Employee, you would set their Department as desired.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate below, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logs in they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
- ID – Enter your chosen Department ID.
- Name – Enter your chosen Department Name.
- Active Checkbox – This checkbox is automatically selected when an Employee Department is created to indicate that it is active. Unselect this checkbox to no longer display the Department within the Employee Department Inquiry screen.
The Defaults area facilitates the appropriation of all financial transactions to a specified set of General Ledger accounts. All below fields within the Defaults area are searchable by entering the ‘@’ or the ‘?’ symbols.
- Company ID – The ability to link to any Company within the SapphireOne datafile.
- Department ID – The ability to link to any Department set up within the General Ledger Chart of Accounts.
- Gross GL – The ability to link to a specified General Ledger account and represents the wages and salary gross.
- PAYG GL – The ability to link to a specified General Ledger account. This is commonly referred to as Pay-As-You-Go or Pay-As-You-Earn General Ledger account.
- Net GL – This represents the Net amount after tax.
- Super GL – Ability to link to the Superannuation General Ledger account.
- Bank GL – The ability to link to the General Ledger bank account that the money will be paid from.
Any Notes that are required may be entered in this area. The user can select the Green Clock Icon to add a Time and Date stamp to the Notes. The user also has the ability to highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to their preference.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line. The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
The Action Page is a separate table that can be added to the major records and transaction tables. This includes actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps plus All Day Notifications.
You can Add or Delete Actions . If you double click on an existing Action it will open, ready to be modified.
- Diary Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a unique sequence number.
- Title – Enter in a title for this action.
- Type – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in a type. This will then form a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in an Action. This will then form a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne will enter in the user who is creating this action although, this may be altered if required.
- Private – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will only allow the User as entered to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and will not be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – A tag may be attached to an action. This will then form a permanent tag within the drop-down. To add a new Tag category, type the name of new tag into the tag box on the screen and then hit the tab key. Then select Yes from the pop-up window to confirm. Alternatively, if you wish to remove a Tag from the list, select the drop-down menu and click on the name of the Tag you wish to remove whilst simultaneously holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Then select Yes from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion from your current list.
- Link – When created from within a transaction or a record, a link to the transaction or record is automatically created by SapphireOne. When created from the Options Menu, Palette or Workbook, the user will have to select from the drop down menu if the action is to be linked to an item or function. There are 12 items on this list from Clients to Manager.
- Check List area – A user created check list for creating actions. A check box is provided so that a user can selected them off as they progress.
- Dates and Times Area:
- Start/Finish – You can set an action to have a Start and a Finish time, or select the check box for an all Day option.
- Completed – Once an action has a completed date entered it will no longer be active and displayed in any lists of actions.
- Alarm Area – An alarm can be set to email someone at a certain date and time, or send your user a reminder and/or email if the email has been entered.
- Recurring Area – If necessary the alarm may be set to at set periods established by the Type drop down menu. The recurring period may also be set by date if required.
- Notes Area – You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
- Invite Attendees Area – You can invite multiple attendees to your event and keep track of if they have accepted or rejected your invite. These attendees can be notified by email if the email has been entered.