Sales Money Payment Overview
The Sales Money Payment, also commonly referred to as a Money Payment, is the last item on the Inventory Sales drop-down menu. A Sales Money Payment is used to process a return for a customer who has paid cash for an item and then later wished to return the item, receiving a cash payment back in return.
Normally a Client is given a Client ID when a Client has a credit account or if you would like to keep a record. A Sales Money Payment, similar to the Sales Money Receipt, is used when we don’t have or do not wish to keep a record of the person.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
- Memo – Type in any memo, notes or comments for the Sales Money Payment.
- Mail Address – You can enter a mailing address if required.
- Delivery Address – You can enter in a delivery address if it is different to the mailing address.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the money receipt.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
Information Tab Area
The Sales Money Payment Information Tab area is used to display additional information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
- Bank – This tab displays the banking details including Account ID, Department, Class, Type, Group, Project etc.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default vendor.
- Pricing – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays any price book entries that apply for this Inventory Item.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created, and who created it.
- Add/Deduct – This tab displays additions and deductions details.
- Error Code – Displays any error codes such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
Tracking Details Area
The Sales Money Payment Tracking Details area stores tracking details relating to the current Date, Delivery Date, Cheque no, Invoice No, Sales Rep and Period.
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- Delivery – Is the expected delivery date. (Again this is usually set up in SapphireOne but can be altered as required on creation of this transaction)
- Cheque Noº. – Is the cheque number used.
- Invoice Noº. – Internal reference number and SapphireOne will normally automatically generate it.
- Rep ID – Sales representative ID. (Not essential but there is provision for the linking of a sales rep to this Sales Money Payment).
- Period – Period entered by SapphireOne matching the date.
Transaction Lines Area
The Sales Money Payment Transaction Lines area section contains four data entry lines and a transaction summary list area.
- Inventory – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option, or simply type part or all of the product name to search for the Inventory ID.
- Inventory Details – Once the Inventory ID is entered SapphireOne will automatically display the Inventory Items name.
- Unit – This data field populates from the unit details as set up in the inventory item, for example Set, Each, Ctn, Kg, etc.
- Quantity – The number of Inventory items in this line in the Client Invoice.
- Rate – The rate will be entered by SapphireOne as setup in the Inventory items master file and should not normally be altered. Provision has been made for the user to enter the rate price of the item on a line by line basis.
- Discount – SapphireOne will read any Client discounts from their master file, or from price book if the item has a discount that is current. If required, the user can also select a Discount code from the drop-down menu or enter a discount in manually.
- Discount % – Once the discount code is entered, the discount percentage will display automatically.
- Tax Code – These should not normally be altered by the user and are entered by SapphireOne as they are setup elsewhere in SapphireOne. The user can select a Tax Code from the drop-down menu or enter in manually if required.
- Tax % – SapphireOne will automatically populate this field once the code is selected. To overwrite, simply type in.
- Tax Amount – SapphireOne will automatically calculate the amount of tax in each line in the transaction.
- Total – This displays the line total for the item – Inventory quantity x Rate + Tax = Total.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will then display the Projects Name.
- Don’t Print Checkbox – If this checkbox is selected, the currently highlighted line will not print on the Invoice. The amount from this line will still be included in the total value of the Invoice.
- System automatic data entry – All of the following items details must first be entered into each Inventory Item. The user will note that these data fields are a mixture of grey and white. Grey indicates that it is entered by SapphireOne and the user is not allowed to alter it. The white background indicates that if a quantity is entered into these data entry fields by a user, SapphireOne will then re-calculate the quantity for the line.
- Weight Area – This field will display the total weight for the transaction for this line
- Carton – This field will display the total cartons in the transaction for this line.
- Pallet – This field will display the pallet quantity for this transaction for this line.
- 2nd Unit – This field will display the quantity entered for this line.
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Sales Money Payment Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of critical details of a transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Amount – Total Amount is the Tax free amount of the order.
- Weight/Area – Weight/Area is the total weight or area of all lines entered on the order.
- Carton – Is the calculated total quantity of Cartons.
- Pallets – Is the calculated total quantity of Pallets.
- Discount – This Discount box allows the user to apply an overall discount percentage to the entire invoice. All lines in the Invoice!
- Tags – The user can select a saved Tag from this Drop down or add a custom tag.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
More Details Page
The More Details Page of the Sales Money Payment function includes additional data entry fields for Tax Details, Delivery Instructions, Standing Transactions, Transaction Details, Payment Details, Card Details, Cash Details and Cheque Details.
Text Details Area
The SapphireOne Text Details area is for adding additional unlimited text information regarding the quote.
Delivery Instructions Area
The SapphireOne Delivery Instructions area is for adding additional unlimited Delivery Instructions regarding the quote.
Standing Transactions Area
- Scheduled – The user has the ability to schedule all transaction types on a Weekly, Fortnightly, 30 Day, Monthly, Yearly or Other basis.
- Start/Next Date – Enter the next Start date of the next scheduled transaction. Click on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne Calendar and select your date.
- Stop Date – Enter the Stop date of the next scheduled transaction. Click on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne Calendar and select your date.
Transaction Details Area
- Bank Account Paid To – Enter the bank account the transaction will be paid to. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to select from a list of entered bank accounts.
- Footer Details Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional fields or information to the Footer of the transaction.
- Order Message Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional messages or information related to the transaction.
Payment Details Area
- Card – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid on the Clients Credit Card.
- Cheque – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid by Cheque.
- Cash – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid by Cash.
- Account – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being allocated to their Client Account Balance.
- O/B – Any amount that has not yet been allocated will be displayed here to ensure that the amount is always balanced.
Card Details Area
- Card Nº – Enter the Credit Card Number.
- Expiry – Enter the expiry date.
- Type – Enter the Card Type i.e. Amex, MasterCard, Visa, etc.
- Authorisation Nº – Enter the Card Authorisation Number.
Cash Details Area
- Total – This is the total sum amount of the dollar amounts entered in above Payment Details area.
- Payment – This is a sum total of the different types of payments.
- Cash Change – The amount to be returned to the Client in the form of Cash.
Cheque Details Area
- Bank – The Bank name that the cheque has been drawn from is entered here.
- Branch – The Branch name that the cheque has been drawn from is entered here.
- Drawer – The Drawer is the Company name and can be entered here.
- Chq N – The Cheque number can be entered here.
This Custom Page is where the user is able to customise both the Custom and Transaction Lines area. This Custom Page is available in nearly every major function in SapphireOne, including Clients, Vendors, Inventory, Job Projects, Assets and Employee inquiries.
There are various numbers of Alpha, Numeric, Date and text field headings that are available for the user to customise. When the user edits these headings it is important to consider the number of characters that will fit into the space provided on the Custom page itself. A second consideration is how the headings will fit into any reports that are produced from this Custom Page.
For the existing default names as entered by SapphireOne, the first number indicates the order that it is in the group, and the second number denotes how long the actual data entry field is for the entry of user data. For example, IVAlpha1_20 denotes that the Data Entry Field is the 1st data entry field in the group, and it will allow up to 20 characters. IVAlpha4_30 denotes that is is the 4th data entry field in the group with a maxim limit of 30 Characters.
Link to Sequence
The ‘Link to Sequence’ function allows the user to link a Sale and a Purchase to each other. This is done through the SapphireOne Back to Back function. The SapphireOne Back to Back function links each inventory item on a Quote to it’s unique Vendor or Vendors. When the user converts a Quote to an Order Client Invoice (OCI), the Back to Back function will simultaneously generate an Order Vendor Invoice (OVI). Both the OCI and OVI will have their respective sequence numbers linked through the ‘Link To Sequence’ found on the Custom Page.
The same applies to a Sales Client Invoice (SCI) linking to a Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). For example, when an OVI arrives into stock and is converted to a PVI, the user will be able to identify which client order the goods are to be applied to by using the sequence number in the ‘Linked To Sequence’ function.
By clicking on the ‘Linked to Sequence’ headline SapphireOne will automatically display the linked transaction.
Transaction Lines Area
In the Transaction Lines area of the Custom Page, each transaction line can have it’s own unique set of custom fields. This includes Notes, five Alpha based custom headings, numeric field and date field per transaction line.
While the screen shot above is from a Sales Transaction, the procedure for the user to customise this page is exactly the same no matter what function the Custom Page resides in. All of the data entry fields in these Custom Pages may be used in reports in the same manner that other data entry fields are reported on in SapphireOne.