Job Project Resource Time Sheet Overview
The Job Project Resource Time Sheet allows you to enter a number of Resources against a single Project. A Resource may be anything that is used to achieve the completion of a Project and has a costing value.
SapphireOne recommends that any Resource that you intend to use in this function is created prior to entering a Job Project Resource Time Sheet.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
Job Project Area
How to enter information into the Job Project Resource Time Sheet Project area:
- Project ID – Enter the Project ID. If SapphireOne detects that tasks have been set up for the selected Project it will display a pop up enabling the user to select the task that the project is to be assigned to. The use of the wildcard ‘@’ search feature in SapphireOne to find the correct Project may also be used here to find the correct Project ID.
- Reference No – You can either accept the default Reference No or over-type it with a different number.
- Date In – Verify that the Date In is correct. If it is not, enter the correct date. (System will propose your computers date)
- Period – Verify that the Period field is correct. If it is not, enter the correct period.
- Start Date – Enter the start date of the Project.
- Finish Date – Enter the finish date of the Project.
- Memo – Additional details may be entered in this area as well as any memo details required.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the transaction.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
Documents Area within Document Management System (DMS)
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
Notes Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
History Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Links Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Updating a Document within Document Management
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Document Control within Document Management
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
Information Tab Area in Job Project Resource Time Sheet
The Job Project Resource Time Sheet Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The tabs for this type of transaction include:
- Project – This displays the information in the Projects master file for the selected Project ID.
- Resources – This displays the information in the Resources master file for the selected Resource ID
- Activities – This displays the information in the Activities file under Resources for the selected Resource ID
- History – This tab displays a selection of the history based on the Resource and Project
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
As you enter the timesheet details, a summary of the timesheet appears in a single line below. You can view or modify a line by selecting it, then proceed to view or modify in the data entry area above.
How to enter timesheet information:
- Resource ID – Enter the Resource ID. Use the wildcard ‘@’ search feature in SapphireOne to find the correct Resource. Incorrectly entered ID’s will cause SapphireOne to display error messages. The name of the Resource will then be displayed to the immediate right of the Resource ID data entry field.
- Name – This field is automatically populated when you enter your Resource ID.
- Activity – The Activity data entry field is linked back to the Resource as entered in the Projects area. Alternatively, you may key in the ‘@’ symbol to display a pop up with a list of activities options for this resource.
- Date – Enter the date the work was completed.
- Start – Enter the start time in hours.
- Finish – Enter the finish time in hours.
- Cost – Enter the cost of the Activity if known.
- Qty – Enter the number of units against the Standard Rate or Activity code in the Qty field.
- Rate – Enter what you intend to charge for the activity.
- Amount – This field is calculated by SapphireOne by multiplying the Qty with the Rate.
- Complete % – The user may indicate the completion of the current job or project by entering a number in the Completed % data entry field.
- Project Task – Enter the relevant task for the project – these are set up on Job Projects – Planning/quote page
- Asset – You can link a timesheet to a asset
- Notes – Enter any additional information or notes relating to the project.
- Start – The start time of the activity.
- Finish – The Finish time of the activity.
- Loads – The number of loads associated with the activity.
- Loader – A secondary link to the asset used to load the activity.
- Material – A list of Materials used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
- Location From – A list of Locations used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
- Location To – A list of Locations used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
Transaction Footer Area
The Job Project Resource Time Sheet Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – The batch field shows the total for all Timesheet entered in the current group.
- Process in Payroll – SapphireOne automatically records if the timesheet has been processed through payroll
- Tag – The user can mark this transaction with a tag if required. To add a new Tag category, type the name of new tag into the tag box on the screen and then hit the tab key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm. Alternatively, if you wish to remove a Tag from the list, simply select the drop-down menu and click on the name of the Tag you wish to remove whilst simultaneously holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion from your current list.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
Note that a tag with the name of HOLD is built into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- Initially all of the tag menus are blank. This means that the user is able to create customised tag drop down menus as required.
- These drop-down menus are created by entering an item that is not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select the tag that you want to remove. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
How to Automate Resource Time Sheet Data Entry
If you are entering multiple repetitive data entries, you can use the blue ‘Next’ arrow icon in the main toolbar across the top of your screen to first save the current Time Sheet and open a new blank Time Sheet ready for the next data entry.
Using this button performs the following two actions:
- It saves the current Time Sheet and opens a new Time Sheet ready for data entry as documented above.
- It opens a new Time Sheet with the Date In, Start and Finish Dates as they were entered in the previous time sheet. No need to re-enter this information.
The second method is to complete the details in the ‘Project’ Area, and then navigate to the Additional Information Tab Area and select a Time Sheet from the ‘History’ list provided.
Right click on ‘History’ and you will be able to immediately copy any past Time Sheet from the History list into the Time Sheet that you are entering now.
Ensure that you double check each line item in the copied Time Sheet is all correct for the current entry, as copying from historical data retrieves ALL of the data.