Job Project Time Sheet Overview
The Job Project Time Sheet allows you to enter a number of Resources against a single Project. A Resource may be anything that is used to achieve the completion of a Project that has a costing value.
SapphireOne recommends that any Resource that you intend to use in this function is created prior to entering a Job Project Resource Time Sheet.
In SapphireOne, any data entry field with a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you don’t know the exact ID to enter, you can replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? characters. SapphireOne will then display a shorter list of records to select the correct ID from. For example, if you enter K@, SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
Moreover, if a data entry field heading is underlined, it indicates that once an ID has been entered, you can click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then perform a specific query for the entered ID and display a list with only a single item in it. You can then view or modify the item as normal.
Job Project Area
How to enter information into the Job Project Time Sheet Project area:
- Project ID – Enter the Project ID. If SapphireOne detects that tasks have been set up for the selected Project it will display an alert enabling the user to select the task that the project is to be assigned to. The use of the wildcard @ symbol search feature in SapphireOne to find the correct Project may also be used here.
- Reference No – You can either accept the default Reference Number or over-type it with a different number.
- Date In – Verify that the Date In is correct. If it is not, enter the correct date. (System will propose your computers date)
- Period – Verify that the Period field is correct. If it is not, enter the correct period.
- Start Date – Enter the start date of the Project.
- Finish Date – Enter the finish date of the Project.
- Memo – Additional details may be entered in this area as well as any memo details required.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the timesheet.
Paperclip Management Saves Time with Easy File Attachment
The SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) features a convenient Paper Clip button on all data entry and inquiry screens. This enables users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. The system also includes a dedicated page for managing documents related to a specific transaction or record, providing robust version control of the attached documents.
The color of the paper clip serves as a visual indicator of the status of the attached documents. A red paper clip indicates that there are no documents currently attached to the transaction or record, while a green paper clip indicates the presence of one or more attached documents. Additionally, the word “Items” is preceded by the number of attached documents, providing a clear and concise representation of the current status.
SapphireOne’s Document Management System is highly versatile and can accommodate a wide range of document types, including Adobe Acrobat, spreadsheets, word processing documents, photo files, JPEGs, CSV files, HEIFs, and MP4 files. With the ability to store an unlimited number of documents for an indefinite amount of time, the system provides users with a comprehensive and efficient solution for managing all their important files and documents.
In SapphireOne, users have the flexibility to control the size of individual documents and determine where they are stored through the Master Defaults settings. These settings can be accessed by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page.
Within the Documents area of the SapphireOne page, there is a Document Size Limit setting with a default size of 10 MB, which can be adjusted as needed. Additionally, users can choose to store the documents either as part of the data file or as separate files, by selecting the appropriate option from the two radio buttons provided.
To attach a document to a transaction, simply click on either the or Paperclip button. The Document List window as seen below will be displayed allowing the the user to select the desired file to attach.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
SapphireOne also provides users with the convenient Drag & Drop functionality to attach documents. To use this feature, simply drag a document from your local computer into the Document List screen and it will be attached automatically. This streamlined process saves time and effort and makes it easier to manage your important files and documents within SapphireOne.
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus button to select a document to upload from the local computer.
SapphireOne’s document management system provides users with the ability to easily manage their attached documents. After a document has been attached, the user has the option to rename it by right-clicking on the file and selecting Rename This feature is useful for maintaining consistency in document names across all records and helps to keep the system organized and efficient.
Documents Area within Document Management System (DMS)
- Open – By clicking on this button, the document will be opened for viewing, allowing users to review its contents without having to leave the SapphireOne system. This feature provides a convenient and streamlined way to access and review important documents within the context of the larger document management system.
- Update – When this button is selected an alert is displayed allowing the user to import a new version of a highlighted document, enabling version tracking. After selecting a new version, the user enters a version number. The latest version becomes available, with previous versions accessible in the History area. The updated document remains linked to associated transactions.
- Scan – This option in SapphireOne provides users with the ability to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to a transaction. This feature requires access to a local or network scanner, and the appropriate scanner and software must be installed on the local machine or network. By using the Scan option, users can quickly and efficiently digitize physical documents and associate them with the relevant transactions within SapphireOne.
- Save – This button in SapphireOne allows users to save the currently highlighted document to disk. This feature provides a convenient way to export a copy of the document for backup or further use outside of the SapphireOne system. By clicking the Save button, users can easily access a digital copy of their important documents and ensure that they are properly preserved and accessible.
- Link Documents – With SapphireOne, users have the ability to link a highlighted document to one or more transactions within the data file. To do this, the user simply clicks the “Link” button, which will bring up an alert allowing them to make their selection. This feature provides a convenient way to associate important documents with multiple transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Link Existing Documents – SapphireOne provides users with the ability to link existing documents in the data file to the current transaction or record. To do this, the user simply clicks the Link Existing button, which will bring up an Alert allowing them to choose from a list of available documents. This feature provides a convenient way to associate existing documents with additional transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Delete – This option in SapphireOne allows users to remove the currently highlighted document. By clicking the Delete button, the selected document will be removed from the system, providing users with a simple way to manage their attached documents and ensure that only relevant and up-to-date information is stored within the system.
- Plus – SapphireOne includes a search function that makes it easy for users to select a document saved on their local computer. This feature provides a convenient way to quickly locate and attach the desired document, streamlining the process of adding and managing important files within the SapphireOne system.
Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides users with additional information about the selected document. When a document is selected in the Documents area, the Details area will automatically display the title of the document and the type of file. This information helps users to quickly identify and manage their important files and documents, providing a more efficient and organized system for document management.
Notes Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock button to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Document Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides additional information about the selected document. This area automatically displays information such as the date and time the document was added, the document number, and the user who added the document. This information helps users to quickly understand the context of the selected document and provides a comprehensive history of the document’s status and interactions within the system. The Document Details area is a valuable resource for managing and tracking important documents within SapphireOne.
History Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The History area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne tracks all version changes and automatically displays the document’s history in this area.
As new versions of the document are imported using the button, the History area will be automatically updated, ensuring that all previous versions of the document are recorded and available for viewing. This enables users to access the most recent version of the document, while still maintaining a complete history of all versions.
The History area provides a valuable resource for tracking the evolution of a document and understanding how it has changed over time. By having a complete record of the document’s history, users can easily review past versions and understand the context of the changes that have been made.
Links Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Links area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) is used to link documents to specific transactions or areas within SapphireOne. This area provides a comprehensive view of all linking information related to the document, including any functions used to import the document into SapphireOne.
By linking documents to transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can easily associate important information and files with the relevant transactions, providing a more organized and efficient system for document management. The Links area is a valuable resource for understanding the relationships between documents and transactions within SapphireOne.
To add additional links to a document in SapphireOne, follow these steps:
- Select/highlight the document you wish to link.
- Click the Link Document button.
- The Files pop-up window will be displayed.
- From the File drop-down menu, select the item you want to link the document to.
- In the Value data entry field, enter the necessary details (ID).
Note that the Value data entry field has a light blue background and is searchable by entering the wildcard symbols ‘?’ or ‘@’, making it easier to find the information you need. By linking documents to specific transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can create a more organized and efficient system for document management.
Updating a Document within Document Management
The process for updating a document in SapphireOne is straightforward:
After clicking the “Update” button in SapphireOne, the user will be asked to confirm if they would like to import a new version of the document:
- Confirm that you wish to import a new version of the document by selecting “Yes.”
- The user will then be prompted to choose the updated document to open.
- After selecting the updated document, a secondary dialogue will appear, asking the user to enter an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Enter the desired value for the new version and select “OK.”
By following these steps, SapphireOne will replace the previous version of the document with the updated document. It will also maintain a complete record of all previous versions in the History area. This process ensures that the most up-to-date information is always readily accessible within the SapphireOne system.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
In addition to SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function in Workbook Mode provides users with a centralized repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. This function gives users the ability to add new documents, modify, view, or delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be automatically updated across all areas where the document is linked within SapphireOne. Similarly, any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window.
For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the updated document name will be reflected when viewing the document in the Documents Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Document Control within Document Management
In this example, we have an inventory item with documents attached, such as installation instructions and a packing checklist. The item is added to a sales order, manufactured, shipped, and the job is completed. SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality allows for easy attachment and access to all relevant documents throughout the entire process, from sales order to completion. This improves efficiency and helps ensure all relevant information remains consistently available and up-to-date.
A year after the completion of the job, a revision of the inventory item is made, along with updates to its associated Documents (DMS). To keep the information organized and up-to-date, it is not necessary to create a new inventory item for the revision. Instead, the documents and files can be easily updated using SapphireOne’s DMS file that are attached.
By using the Update button within the DMS, users can import a new version of the document and SapphireOne will automatically keep track of all version changes, ensuring that the most recent information is readily available. This process saves time and effort by allowing users to simply update the documents and files, rather than creating a new inventory item for each revision.
In SapphireOne, when referring back to the original completed sales client invoice or job projects client invoice, the associated documents and files will be displayed in their original state or as they have been updated. The user has the option to view the documents and files as they were at the time of completion or as they currently are, providing a comprehensive and accurate record of all relevant information.
In the screen shot above, both the current and historical documents are attached to the inventory item. As a SapphireOne user, you have the ability to edit the list and choose to delete the historical document by simply selecting the Minus button.
Additionally, you also have the ability to modify the existing document, keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised. This ensures that a complete and accurate record of all revisions to the document is maintained, allowing you to easily reference the most recent version or any previous versions as needed.
The ability to manage both current and historical documents, as well as the option to modify and delete them, provides users with a flexible and efficient solution for document management within SapphireOne.
Information Tab Area in Job Project Time Sheet
The Job Project Time Sheet Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The tabs for this type of transaction include:
- Project – This displays the information in the Projects master file for the selected Project ID.
- Resources – This displays the information in the Resources master file for the selected Resource ID
- Activities – This displays the information in the Activities file under Resources for the selected Resource ID
- History – This tab displays a selection of the history based on the Resource and Project
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
As you enter the timesheet details, a summary of the timesheet appears in a single line below. You can view or modify a line by selecting it, then proceed to view or modify in the data entry area above.
How to enter timesheet information:
- Resource ID – Enter the Resource ID. Use the wildcard @ symbol search feature in SapphireOne to find the correct Resource. Incorrectly entered ID’s will cause SapphireOne to display error messages. The name of the Resource will then be displayed to the immediate right of the Resource ID data entry field.
- Name – This field is automatically populated when you enter your Resource ID.
- Activity – The Activity data entry field is linked back to the Resource as entered in the Projects area. Alternatively, you may key in the @ symbol to display an alert with a list of activities options for this resource.
- Date – Enter the date the work was completed.
- Start – Enter the start time in hours.
- Finish – Enter the finish time in hours.
- Cost – Enter the cost of the Activity if known.
- Qty – Enter the number of units against the Standard Rate or Activity code in the Qty field.
- Rate – Enter what you intend to charge for the activity.
- Amount – This field is calculated by SapphireOne by multiplying the Qty with the Rate.
- Complete % – The user may indicate the completion of the current job or project by entering a number in the Completed % data entry field.
- Project Task – Enter the relevant task for the project – these are set up on Job Projects – Planning/quote page
- Asset – You can link a timesheet to a asset
- Notes – Enter any additional information or notes relating to the project.
- Start – The start time of the activity.
- Finish – The Finish time of the activity.
- Loads – The number of loads associated with the activity.
- Loader – A secondary link to the asset used to load the activity.
- Material – A list of Materials used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
- Location From – A list of Locations used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
- Location To – A list of Locations used to the activity can be recorded and maintained.
Transaction Footer Area
The Job Project Time Sheet Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – The batch field shows the total for all Timesheet entered in the current group.
- Process in Payroll – SapphireOne automatically records if the timesheet has been processed through payroll
- Tag – The user can mark this transaction with a tag if required. To add a new Tag category, type the name of new tag into the tag box on the screen and then hit the tab key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm. Alternatively, if you wish to remove a Tag from the list, simply select the drop-down menu and click on the name of the Tag you wish to remove whilst simultaneously holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion from your current list.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
Note that many of the Tag Headings are user-configurable, so you can rename them to suit your needs.
To rename Tag Headings, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults.
- Select the appropriate function’s page.
- Click on the Tag Headings menu to open it.
- Double-click on the heading you wish to rename.
- Enter the new name for the heading and click OK.
- To create customised tag drop-down menus, simply enter a new item that is not currently on the list and then tab away. SapphireOne will prompt you to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold down the Control or Command key and select the tag you want to remove. You will be asked to confirm its removal from the list.
SapphireOne has a tag named HOLD integrated into it. When this tag is selected, the transaction cannot be posted until the HOLD tag status is removed or changed to a different status other than HOLD.
SapphireOne ensures that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the ‘Out of Balance’ is at $0.00, the tick button will activate in the top toolbar, indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When multiple transactions are selected, the navigation buttons will also appear on the main toolbar.
There are three ways to save a transaction in SapphireOne:
- Select the activated tick button . This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main toolbar or the list. When multiple transactions are selected, the user may click on the tick button in the toolbar to produce the same result.
- Click on either of the forward or back arrow buttons . This will prompt SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list, ready for data entry or modification. Note that SapphireOne will move to the same page in the next transaction, such as from Terms page to Terms page, which is convenient when reviewing the same data in multiple items.
- Press the Enter key on the keypad. SapphireOne will save the current transaction and open another transaction of the same type, ready for data entry. This is helpful when entering multiple transactions of the same kind, such as a Client Receipt followed by another Client Receipt.
How to Automate Resource Time Sheet Data Entry
If you are entering multiple repetitive data entries, you can use the blue Next arrow on the main toolbar across the top of your screen to first save the current Time Sheet and open a new blank Time Sheet ready for the next data entry.
Using this Next arrow button performs the following two actions:
- It saves the current Time Sheet and opens a new Time Sheet ready for data entry as documented above.
- It opens a new Time Sheet with the Date In, Start and Finish Dates as they were entered in the previous time sheet. No need to re-enter this information.
The second method is to complete the details in the Project Area, and then navigate to the Additional Information Tab Area and select a Time Sheet from the History list provided.
Right click on History and you will be able to immediately copy any past Time Sheet from the History list into the Time Sheet that you are entering now.
Ensure that you double check each line item in the copied Time Sheet is all correct for the current entry, as copying from historical data retrieves all of the data including dates.
Action Page Overview
The Action Page is a versatile tool that can be added to major records and transaction tables. It includes various actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps, as well as All Day Notifications. This provides users with a centralised location to manage and organise their tasks, meetings, and notes, improving efficiency and productivity.
The Action Page allows users to use the add or delete buttons to add or delete actions as required. Simply select the relevant button to add or delete an action.
The Diary Area in SapphireOne provides users with a comprehensive range of options to customise their actions. It includes a sequence number, title, type, action, user, privacy settings, status, tag, and link fields.
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a unique sequence number for each action.
- Title – Enter a title for the action.
- Type – Choose from the customisable drop-down menu to input a type. This will subsequently become a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Utilise the user-customisable drop-down menu to input an Action. This will then become a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne automatically inputs the user creating this action, though it can be modified if necessary.
- Private – If this checkbox is selected, SapphireOne will only permit the specified user to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options: Open, Hold, and Completed.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active, but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and won’t be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – Users may attach a tag to an action, which will create a permanent tag within the drop-down. To add a new tag, type the name of the new tag into the tag box and press the tab key. Select “Yes” from the pop-up window to confirm. To remove a tag from the list, click on the tag name while holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Select “Yes” from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion.
- Link – When created within a transaction or record, SapphireOne automatically generates a link to the transaction or record. When created from the Options Menu, Palette, or Workbook, users must select an item or function from the drop-down menu to link the action. There are 12 items on this list, ranging from Clients to Manager.
Check List Area
SapphireOne offers a user-friendly checklist tool to create and track actions, allowing users to check off completed items as they progress.
Dates and Times Area
- Start/Finish – Set a Start and Finish time for the action, or select the checkbox for an all-day option.
- Completed – Entering a completion date for an action deactivates it, and it will no longer appear in action lists.
Never forget a task again – set up alarms to send reminders via email at specific dates and times. Users can also receive email notifications with the provided email address.
If necessary, the alarm can be set to recur at intervals selected from the Type drop-down menu. Additionally, the recurring period can be defined by date.
Click the green clock button to add time and date stamps to your notes. You can also customize the font, style, color, and background color of the text in the Notes area by highlighting it and right-clicking.
Invite Attendees Area
In the event module, you can invite multiple attendees to your event and track their acceptance or rejection of the invitation. You can also send them an email notification if their email addresses are provided. Additionally, you can manage and track attendees’ RSVP status in real-time.
Documents Page Overview
The Documents Page centralises document and information storage for transactions and master tables, streamlining organisation and management for easy access and improved efficiency.
The Documents Page simplifies file management by allowing various document types to be attached via drag and drop, including PDFs, spreadsheets, photos, and more. It provides a centralised location for document and information storage for transactions and master tables, streamlining organisation and management for easy access and improved efficiency.
Documents can only be attached once the corresponding record has an assigned ID.
Documents List Screen Options
There are eight buttons on the Document List screen, as follows:
- Open – Allows viewing of the currently selected document.
- Update – Prompts the user to import a new version of the selected document while maintaining links to any associated transactions.
- Scan – Accesses a scanner for scanning documents directly into the data file and linking them to the current transaction (requires a compatible scanner with software).
- Save – Saves the currently selected document.
- Link Document: Enables linking of the selected document to other transactions in the data file, presenting a popup for user selection.
- Link Document – Allows linking of an existing document in the data file to the current transaction or record, displaying a popup with a list of documents to choose from.
- Link Existing Document – Allows linking of an existing document in the data file to the current transaction or record, displaying a popup with a list of documents to choose from.
- Delete – Deletes the currently selected transaction or record.
- Add – Displays a search function for selecting a document from the local computer or device.
The Details area allows users to add a custom name, description, and tags to each document, enabling easy search and location of specific documents. These details can be customised to meet the specific needs of the user or organisation, further improving the efficiency and organisation of the Documents Page.
Last Modified Area
The Last Modified section displays the date and time when the document was last modified, as well as the user who made the changes. This feature helps maintain accountability and enables efficient tracking of document modifications.
The History area records changes made to the document, including the date, time, and user who made the changes. This provides a valuable tool for tracking and managing document revisions.
The Links area allows users to record links to other places where the document has been attached. Links can be added or removed using the (+) and (-) buttons, providing an efficient way to manage and organise related documents.
The Notes area allows users to add any relevant notes related to the document. Clicking the green clock button will add a date/time stamp, further improving document tracking and management.
You can review our Blog and YouTube channel for additional information and resources on SapphireOne ERP, CRM and Business Accounting software.