Client Receipt Overview
Client Receipts within SapphireOne are typically now emailed to the Clients automatically. These receipts are generated once funds have been electronically EFT into your bank accounts, and the bank account reconciliation process will generate the requirement to create the Client Receipt. Alternatively, your client may have notified you by email of a remittance, and from the remittance you can generate the SapphireOne Client Receipt (CR) and use the Document Management System (DMS) to attach the remittance to the Client Receipt within SapphireOne.
The Client Receipt within SapphireOne is a digital document that if you enter the Client Invoice Number on the Client Receipt before you enter the Client ID, it will automatically search for the matching Invoice number and then will pre-populate the Client Receipt with the Client ID, Client Name and the correct Amount that the Client has paid. This is a streamlined process as instead of having to enter the Client ID and then manually process it, you can automate it by entering the Invoice number and it will automatically generate the data for you once the Client Receipt has been completed data entry by Processing, or Saving, or Green ticking the Client Receipt. If the auto-allocation is turned on, auto-allocation will then ask you, as the user, to verify and allocate the receipt against the Client Invoice. Once the Client Receipt has been saved it will automatically appear in our bank reconciliation screen for reconciling within your bank reconciliation. The ability to email the Client Receipt is fully automated, and by selecting the Print icon drop-down, you’ll be able to email an electronic copy of the Client Receipt to your Client, putting the Amount, Message or Paid by the Client and the Invoice or Invoice numbers that it has been allocated.
There is no set layout for a Client Receipt. As a user, you can generate the predefined Client Receipt. Alternatively, the SapphireOne user can go to Sapphire Custom Report and create their own receipt that complies with their corporate identity and that it is able to be emailed or receipted to your Client.
SapphireOne also allows the user to store and track Client Receipts to record customer purchase history. All receipts will be allocated and the allocation history is retained for the life of the data file providing a historical record of payment terms for your client. These receipts can also help your corporate identity, when emailed they will contain your corporate messaging. This in turn will flow through to your Business Intelligence Dashboards within SapphireOne.
Client Receipt Navigation
The Client Receipt screen is the first drop-down option in the Accounts Receivables ‘Data Entry’ menu. A Client Receipt is used to record payments by a Client and must always be allocated to a Client Invoice. There are two options for the user when entering a Client Receipt:
- The first option is to enter the Invoice Number from the Client Invoice (CI). This payment is to be allocated into the External Ref. data entry field. SapphireOne will then use the details from the Client Invoice to automatically enter all details for this receipt. It will allocate the payment to the Client Invoice which you have entered.
- Manually enter the details into the Client Receipt, starting with entering the Client ID. This procedure will be explained in detail below.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? symbols. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters K@ SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
How to enter details in the Client Receipt Transaction area:
- Client – Enter your Client ID.
- Ext Ref. – External reference is the Clients Invoice Number.
- Receipt No – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically generate a Receipt Number sequentially. You can overwrite this if required.
- Total – The total cost of the Invoice including tax.
- Date In – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in today’s date. To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Payment Type – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically assume the payment is to be processed immediately and display an EFT option. A drop-down menu is available for the selection of different Payment Types- Cheque, Credit Card, Cash, Direct Debit, E.F.T and Contra.
- Paid To – Once the payment type has been selected, check the payment has been allocated to the right bank account with account ID and description. There is a default bank account in the General Ledger which can be changed. Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) followed by TAB / Enter] option for a list of other bank accounts.
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. Job details.
- Document Paper Clip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Client Receipt.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
Information Tab Area
The Client Receipt Information area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You may only view information here, not alter it. The Information tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. There are five main tabs in the Client Receipt Information area:
- Client – This Tab displays details about the Client i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- Allocation – This displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Trans. – This displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
The Client Receipt Standing Transactions area is used to set up recurring transactions. It also controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Standing Transactions will only be created if the previous periods Standing Transactions have been posted.
If a Standing transactions Stop Date is left as 00/00/00 SapphireOne will keep creating the transaction until it is manually altered or deleted by a user.
Payment Details Area
The Client Receipt Payment Details area allows you to select if bank charges are to be incurred with overseas bank accounts. If bank Charges are to be entered the user must select the ‘Bank Charge’ checkbox.
- Expense – Enter the General Ledger account or use the Wildcard ( @ or ? ) options to select the account.
- Int. Ref – If supplied, enter the reference number given from the bank.
- Total – Enter the Bank Charge amount.
- Tax Code – If necessary, enter the Tax code relating to this Bank Charge.
When this transaction is posted, SapphireOne will create an MP in Payable’s for the bank charge as entered and proceed to post it immediately.
There is also a provision for making this transaction a Standing Transaction that will be executed at certain times.
Transaction Footer Area
The Client Receipt Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and gives you the ability to easily check the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the Client Receipt that has been entered at any given time.
- Amount – Total Amount of the Client Receipt.
- Tax – A system automatically generates tax on the amount.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark the record with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.