Purchase Vendor Invoice Overview
The SapphireOne Purchase Vendor Invoice is your formal record of the confirmation of the receipt of goods, services and/or inventory from your vendor/supplier. This will have been formed as part of the original Order Vendor Invoice (OVI), which also has a Delivery and Arrival process, detailing inventory arrival into your warehouse or business. As part of the arrival process it will be converted to a Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). That Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) will contain all the line items that were delivered by your Vendor, and those lines will contain information such as Inventory IDs, Inventory descriptions, the number of units, the quantity, the rate that you’ve agreed to pay your Vendor, any discounts that have been applied to each line by your Vendor or the appropriate taxes. SapphireOne also allows the user at each line level to link the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) to a Job Project or to an Asset as part of the inventory management. If you’ve set up the weight for each inventory item, it will automatically show the total weight that you’ve received, the number of cartons, how many products will be in a carton, how many will be in a pallet, and you’ll also have a secondary weight as well. SapphireOne also supports a Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) and it is able to manage the tariffs and duties that may have been incurred on each line. You also have a on-cost factor on each line of inventory and an on-cost to each inventory item. The final cost is then presented as part of the SapphireOne Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI).
SapphireOne also contains the Document Management System (DMS). Typically, the user would scan a copy of the delivery docket and the finalised Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). The final Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) may come in the form of an email and that email would be attached. It can also be sent as a PDF and the SapphireOne PDF capture can be utilised as a function within SapphireOne, to the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). SapphireOne also has the ability to retain a tag on the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). On that tag, you can customise to meet your own requirements. It also contains the functionality to import lines, so if the Vendor has sent an Excel spreadsheet we can import that directly into the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) as part of it. The user can also create a layered style and move the lines appropriately. On the fourth page of Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) is a Shipping Information where we can manage all the related information to how it was shipped i.e. the Vessel name, Status, Ship Date, ETA, what day it came into store, the number of pallets loaded, the pallet volume and the temperature it was shipped at. There is also a Load Type, that can be tracked as well the voyage number, the document number and the manager notes, and then you can track information on each container and you have a number of custom alphanumeric fields, which are in addition with every Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) within SapphireOne. The Types of inventory within the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) being Non-diminishing, Normal, Serial, Batch, Item, Activity, Hire, Asset, Voucher and General Ledger, and all this can be managed within the inventory line items.
The Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI), also commonly referred to as a Vendor Order, is the second item on the SapphireOne Inventory Purchases Data Entry menu. An Order Vendor Invoice is a formal order for goods and/or services that you provide to your Vendor in order to complete a Vendor Order. It is also where SapphireOne formalises the payment and shipping terms.
The Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI), also commonly referred to as a Vendor Purchase, is the fourth item on the Inventory Purchases data entry menu. The Purchase Vendor Invoice data entry screen allows for easy entry of stock purchases into SapphireOne.
Purchase Vendor Invoice Navigation
- Vendor ID – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard “@” or “?” options to search for the correct ID, or simply type part or all of the ID with the appropriate wild card to search for the Vendor ID.
- Contact – Accept the default contact person or select the contact person you wish to attach to this vendor invoice.
- Address 1 – This field is the mailing address which automatically populates from the vendor record.
- Address 2 – This field is the mailing address which automatically populates from the vendor record.
- Delivery address from defaults – If you have alternative delivery addresses saved in the vendor address page you can select them from a drop-down list.
- Copy Mailing address to the delivery address – Copy the mailing address to the delivery address field.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Purchase Vendor Invoice.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
Information Tab Area
The Purchase Vendor Invoice Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed.
- Vendor – Displays Vendor details including ABN, Total Owing, Credit Remaining, Owing + Un-posted, Warning Message, Turnover, Credit terms, Product, Last Transaction Date etc.
- Invoices – Displays a list of recent purchase invoices.
- A purchase invoice can be copied by using right click and selecting ‘Copy Transaction’.
- By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse clicking you can Copy Invoice, Copy Lines and Open in Inquiry which will open the selected transaction in the new inquiry screen.
- Lines – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays history of the Inventory item. Included in each transaction is the Qty ordered and Amount, Sequence N°, any Discount Code and percentage allocated, Date and Type.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default Vendor.
- Pricing – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays PriceBooks which apply to the item for this Vendor.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it. This Tab also displays the total value and percentage of the allocation.
- Allocation – This Tab displays any allocation of the Invoice to a Vendor Payment or Credit. It shows the allocated dollar amount and the allocated percentage.
- Add/Deduct – This tab displays additions and deductions details.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
The Purchase Vendor Invoice Tracking Details area stores tracking details relating to the current Date, Delivery Date, Invoice No, Sales Rep and Carrier.
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- Arrival – Is the expected arrival date.
- Order No. – External reference number.
- Invoice No. – Internal reference number and automatically generated.
- Rep ID – Sales representative ID.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
- Bay Swap – This button allows the user in warehouse management to swap bays of where the Inventory is located.
Transaction Lines Area
As you enter a transaction, a summary of the transaction appears in a single line in the Transaction Lines Area.
- Inventory – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard “@” or “?” options to replace part of the ID to do a limited search for the correct ID.
- Unit – Populates the unit details as entered in the inventory item, for example Set, Each, Ctn, Kg, etc.
- Quantity – The amount of Inventory order.
- Rate – This is the Line Item default rate. You can enter in a new rate but note this is the rate excluding tax.
- Discount – Enter any Discount percentage allocated.
- Tax Code – You may accept the default code or enter in a new tax code.
- Tax % – For example Australia, USA, New Zealand and other countries, the Vendor Tax Code controls the rate. In Australia, the Inventory file will override on GST free or exempt items as required.
- Tax Amount – This will automatically populate with the total amount of tax for each individual line.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- Arrival Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax. There are two locations within a Vendor Order where the Ex-Tax value is displayed. In the Line Entry area where it is displayed on a line by line basis, and in the Totals area at the bottom of the screen as a value for the entire order. This is for users who are arriving orders and need to be able to view the Ex-Tax pricing within the Order.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard “@” or “?” option to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will display the Project Name.
- Project Retention % – Amount of the project costing allocated to this invoice.
- Don’t Print – Select Don’t Print to stop the line from printing on the Invoice. The amount from this line is still included in the total value of the Invoice.
- Weight/Area – This field displays the total weight or area x order quantity. The user may enter the total weight required which will automatically update the order quantity.
- Carton – Displays the total cartons: quantity multiplied by the carton quantity set in Inventory details.
- Pallet – Displays the pallet quantity (quantity multiplied by the pallet quantity set in Inventory details).
- 2nd Unit – Displays total 2nd unit (quantity multiplied by 2nd unit quantity set in Inventory details).
- Tariff – The Tariff ID number will display in this field. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- Duty – This is the Duty amount that may be either a fixed dollar amount or a percentage. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- Duty % – Is the duty amount as a percentage.
- On Cost Factor – The On Cost Factor is calculated as (Cost of Goods and services + On Costs) / Cost of Goods and services. This is automatically populated or you can insert manually the amount.
- Final Cost – Is the Final Cost of Inventory ordered including Tariff, Duties and On Cost Factors.
Transaction Footer Area
The Purchase Vendor Invoice Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Amount – Total Amount is the Tax free amount of the order.
- Arr Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax.
- Weight/Area – Weight/Area is the total weight or area of all lines entered on the order.
- Carton – Is the calculated total quantity of Cartons.
- Pallets – Is the calculated total quantity of Pallets.
- Discount – This Discount box allows the user to apply an overall discount percentage to the order.
- Tags – The user can mark this transaction with a tag if required.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
More Details Page
Text Details Area
The SapphireOne Text Details area is for adding additional unlimited text information regarding the quote.
Delivery Instructions Area
The SapphireOne Delivery Instructions area is for adding additional unlimited Delivery Instructions regarding the quote.
Standing Transactions Area
- Scheduled – The user has the ability to schedule all transaction types on a Weekly, Fortnightly, 30 Day, Monthly, Yearly or Other basis.
- Start/Next Date – Enter the next Start date of the next scheduled transaction. Click on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne Calendar and select your date.
- Stop Date – Enter the Stop date of the next scheduled transaction. Click on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne Calendar and select your date.
Transaction Details Area
- Date Due – This is another date field that can be added to the quote.
- PAYG – Pay As You Go is withholding tax. Percentage is automatically applied if applicable.
- Discount % – This refers to a Prompt Payment Discount. If your Vendor is offering you a prompt payment discount, you can enter the discount in this field and it will automatically apply it if paid during the agreed upon time frame. Enter the percentage amount into the first field and the number of days into the second.
- Auto Allocate to Project – Selecting this will automatically allocate all lines to the pre assigned project of the particular Vendor.
- Browse Signature Button – This allows the user to enter an image of the Clients Signature into the Client Signature text box below. When using SapphireOne’s Web Pack on a iPad, selecting this button will allow the user to sign the text box directly.
- Signature Text Box – If provision for digital signatures has been set up the signatures will be displayed/stored in this Signature data entry field.
- Footer Details Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional fields or information to the Footer of the transaction.
- Order Message Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional messages or information related to the transaction.
Payment Details Area
- EFT – Enter the dollar amount that is being paid by Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Card – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid on the Clients Credit Card.
- Cheque – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid by Cheque.
- Cash – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being paid by Cash.
- Account – Enter the dollar figure amount that is being allocated to their Client Account Balance.
- O/B – Any amount that has not yet been allocated will be displayed here to ensure that the amount is always balanced.
Cash Details Area
- Total – This is the total sum amount of the dollar amounts entered in above Payment Details area.
- Payment – This is a sum total of the different types of payments.
- Cash Change – The amount to be returned to the Client in the form of Cash.