Shops & Till Inquiry Overview
The Shops & Tills Inquiry screen in SapphireOne’s Inventory Mode Point of Sale (POS) menu facilitates the setup of multiple shops within SapphireOne, catering to businesses requiring more than a single shop.
Within each shop, tills can be easily configured based on specific needs. Users have the flexibility to assign a specific client or merchant to each till, enabling customized reporting on individual tills or consolidating data into a single comprehensive report. This feature empowers users with the ability to analyze sales and performance as desired, providing valuable insights for business management.
All inquiry screens in SapphireOne offer the option to customise the list of items displayed on the page. This feature, known as Custom Inquiry, allows you to select the data fields to be shown and the order in which the columns of data appear across the screen. Although a client list is used as an example below, any type of inquiry can be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below represents the standard inquiry list, displaying a basic set of data fields for each client record:
Swap to Custom Inquiry
When you select the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry’ button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen, as shown below. This Custom List screen provides the user with two main options for organising the data display:
- To add or remove the data field columns displayed on the screen, click the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen, you can right-click on the column lines and choose from Delete, Move Left, or Move Right. More information on the Setup screen is provided below.
- To change the order in which the data field columns are displayed, click the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen, you can right-click on the column lines and choose from Delete, Move Left, or Move Right. More information on the Setup screen is provided below.
Once you have customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will be unique to you, and each time you log in, you will see the same custom view. You also have the option to select and save an unlimited number of custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen, as detailed below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen, which can be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To begin setting up your Customised List screen, click the Setup button, as shown above. The Setup screen will appear, as displayed below.
From this screen, users can add and remove data columns as needed. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables can be included in the Custom List screen, provided the user has the necessary authorisation.
The screen features several menu items across the top, which include:
- Reset to Default – Clicking this button resets the display to the default settings determined by SapphireOne. When you add a new data field, SapphireOne will place it on the right-hand side of the data columns. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to your desired location on the screen.
- Show Related Record – This option allows you to add related fields from other tables. By ticking the Show Related checkbox at the top of the screen, you can select a related record, and a mini view of that related record for the chosen entry will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields to be displayed.
- Favourite Set – Located at the top left of the screen, this option enables you to save a custom-created screen for future use. For instance, you can have a simple Inquiry screen for general use and a more complex screen view when auditing specific information.
How to Enter a New Shop
To create a new shop in SapphireOne, there is no requirement to set up any other items throughout the software. The process of establishing a new shop can be easily accomplished by following the documented procedure below.
To enter a new Shop go to: Inventory > POS > Shops.
Then select the icon from SapphireOne main toolbar.
- ID – Enter the unique identifier or Shop ID for the specific shop. This field allows you to assign a distinct code or number to identify and differentiate the shop from others within SapphireOne.
- Name – Enter the name of the shop in this field. The Shop name serves as a clear and recognizable identifier for the specific shop within SapphireOne.
- Start and End Date – Specify the start and end dates for the shop. If you leave the dates as “00/00/00,” SapphireOne will keep the shop permanently active. However, if you enter a start date and end date, SapphireOne will only allow the shop and its tills to remain active during the specified period. This functionality ensures effective control over the shop’s activation and deactivation based on the defined dates.
- Company – When creating a new shop in SapphireOne, SapphireOne will automatically populates the company field with the name of the company that the user is currently logged into. This feature ensures that the shop is associated with the correct company, making it easier to manage and track shop-related transactions within the designated company’s scope.
- Location – Enter the physical location of the shop. This field allows you to specify the exact address or description of where the shop is situated. By providing the shop’s location, you can ensure accurate record-keeping and facilitate efficient management of the shop’s operations within SapphireOne.
- Phone – Enter the phone number associated with the shop. This field allows you to input the contact number through which customers or business partners can reach the shop.
- Docket Header – The text entered in this field will be printed on the header of all dockets for the specific shop, regardless of which till within the shop is used to process the transaction. This feature allows you to customize the docket header with relevant information such as the shop name, slogan, promotional message, or any other details you wish to include
- Docket Footer – The text entered in this field will be printed on the footer of all dockets for the specific shop, regardless of which till within the shop is used to process the transaction. This feature allows you to include additional information, disclaimers, special instructions, or any other relevant details at the bottom of each docket
The new Shop must then be saved by selecting the Green Tick icon before attempting to create any Tills.
Dictation and Speech to Text Overview
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line.
The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive time saver.
When entering a till in SapphireOne, you have the flexibility to set up any number of tills based on the specific scenarios encountered in your shop front environment. The exact number of tills required will depend on various factors, including the reporting and accounting details necessary for your business operations.
It is worth noting that merging reports from multiple tills is a straightforward process and often preferable to separating them. By consolidating the reports, you can obtain a comprehensive overview of your business’s performance. However, it is essential to keep in mind that setting up a larger number of tills can make the reporting process more complex.
Careful consideration should be given to finding the right balance between the convenience of merging reports and the potential complications that may arise from managing multiple tills. By assessing your specific business needs and understanding the impact on reporting, you can effectively determine the ideal number of tills to set up in SapphireOne.
Merchant based Sales.
Merchant-based sales have witnessed a rise in popularity, and SapphireOne recognizes this trend. To cater to evolving market needs, we have initiated the implementation of the TYRO merchant sales system within SapphireOne. This integration allows our clients to conveniently process sales transactions through the TYRO platform.
As part of our commitment to meeting diverse client requirements, we remain open to incorporating additional merchant sales systems based on client requests. Our goal is to provide flexibility and compatibility with various merchant providers, ensuring that our clients can choose the most suitable option for their business operations.
By embracing merchant-based sales systems, SapphireOne aims to enhance the efficiency and convenience of transaction processing, empowering businesses with seamless integration between their point of sale operations and preferred merchant services.
How to set up Tills
When properly configured, the processing of shop or POS based transactions in SapphireOne can be automated to a great extent, with minimal intervention required. Authorised users may simply need to review and verify transactions before they are processed through to the general ledger.
While the setup of tills does require some initial configuration in SapphireOne, it is essential to also set up inventory related items within the SapphireOne to ensure smooth operation. These items include:
- Products or Inventory items – Set up the products or inventory items that the shop will sell. This involves providing details such as item codes, descriptions, prices, and stock quantities.
- Tax codes – Configure the appropriate tax codes applicable to the shop’s products or services. This ensures accurate taxation calculations during transactions.
- Pricing methods – Define the pricing methods to be used, such as cost-based or margin-based pricing, to determine the selling price of items.
By appropriately setting up these items above within SapphireOne, businesses can streamline their shop transactions and ensure accurate recording and processing of sales in SapphireOne. This integration between tills, items, and the general ledger enhances automation and facilitates
Setting up tills in SapphireOne will require configuring additional items within the SapphireOne to ensure smooth operation and accurate transaction processing. The following items should be considered for setup:
- G/L Accounts – Ideally, the setup of G/L accounts should be done during the initial establishment of the data file in SapphireOne. Common G/L accounts to consider include all bank accounts where funds are held, as well as a specific Cash Sale Account to track cash sales.
- Merchant Sales – If you intend to track merchant sales separately, it is recommended to create a separate till dedicated to these transactions. This separate till can be associated with a specific bank account that is designated for merchant sales. By doing so, you can effectively segregate and monitor transactions related to merchant sales, facilitating accurate reporting and analysis.
- Additional Tills – Setting up appropriate G/L accounts and establishing separate tills for specific purposes, such as tracking merchant sales, enhances the financial management capabilities within SapphireOne. These configurations ensure accurate recording and reporting of transactions, providing valuable insights into your business’s financial performance.
- Employee Log In – In order to enforce secure access and accountability, SapphireOne allows for the requirement of employee login for every Point of Sale (POS) transaction processed. This means that all employees, regardless of their role or position, will be prompted to log in before accessing the POS function.
Adding a New Till
When the new Shop has been saved by selecting the Green Tick icon, the user may open the Shop Inquiry by highlighting the Shop from the list and double clicking or selecting the Modify icon in the main toolbar. Then to add or remove a new Till, select the user may use the two buttons to add or Delete a till.
To enter the data into the appropriate column and set up a till, follow the procedure outlined below:
- Till ID – Enter the unique identifier or Till ID for the specific till. This field allows you to assign a distinct code or number to identify and differentiate each individual till within SapphireOne.
- Name – Enter the name of the till in this field. The Till Name serves as a descriptive identifier for the specific till within SapphireOne. By providing a meaningful name, you can easily distinguish and refer to the till in various areas of the system, such as reports, transaction logs, and configuration settings.
- Cash Client – If a till is designated for a particular client or customer, you can enter their information in the Cash Client column. This column allows you to associate a specific client with the till, ensuring that transactions and sales made through that till are attributed to the designated client.
- Blank – If the till is not limited to a specific client and can be used for transactions involving multiple clients, you may leave the Cash Client column blank.
- Cash Bank and Other Bank – In the till setup, you have the option to associate specific General Ledger (G/L) Bank accounts by entering and linking them in the Cash Bank and Other Bank columns. These columns allow you to designate the bank accounts that will be utilized for cash transactions and other transactions conducted through the till.
- Wildcard entry – To conveniently display all G/L Bank accounts within SapphireOne, you can use the ‘@’ and ‘?’ wildcard symbols. By entering ‘@’ or ‘?’ in the respective column, the system will retrieve and display all available G/L Bank accounts, providing a comprehensive list for you to choose from.
- Notes – In the till setup, you have the option to enter any relevant notes or additional information regarding the specific till in the Notes column. This column serves as a space to include any specific instructions, reminders, or other important details related to the till.
- Comments – You can use the Notes column to provide information such as till-specific policies, usage guidelines, or any other relevant notes that you want to document for easy reference. This feature allows you to communicate important details about the till to authorized users or provide additional context for its setup and operation.
- Merchant Column – In SapphireOne, the Merchant column provides a checkbox option to process transactions specifically for the supported TYRO merchant. By selecting the TYRO Merchant checkbox within this till, you can indicate that transactions processed through this till will be routed through the TYRO merchant integration.
- G/L Accounts – Furthermore, when the TYRO Merchant checkbox is selected, you can specify the General Ledger (G/L) account that will be utilized for these TYRO merchant transactions. This allows you to designate the appropriate G/L account where the financial records related to TYRO merchant transactions will be recorded.
- By leveraging this feature, SapphireOne ensures seamless integration with TYRO merchant services and enables the accurate and efficient handling of transactions, along with the associated financial accounting in the specified G/L account.
- Saving the Till – Click on the to save the shop, along with the newly added till.
Processing Orders in a Shop based Environment
When processing orders in a shop-based environment using the Point of Sale (POS) functionality, it is common to encounter situations where the desired item is out of stock. In such cases, the user can capture the order details and create an Order Client Invoice (OCI) using the Client Server application.
Typically, the processing of orders is managed in the Sales module using the Delivery function. However, SapphireOne offers a convenient feature on the second page of an OCI. On this page, users have the functionality to directly convert the OCI to a Till Client Invoice (TCI) without the need to go through the traditional delivery process.
To access this procedure, navigate to the More Details page of the OCI. Here, you will find the option to convert the OCI to a TCI. By selecting this option, the OCI is transformed into a TCI, facilitating a seamless transition from order processing to invoicing directly at the till.
This functionality provided by SapphireOne simplifies the process of fulfilling orders and generating client invoices in a shop environment, ensuring efficient customer service and streamlined transaction processing.