Allocations Inquiry Overview
The SapphireOne Allocation Inquiry data entry screen allocates transactions for Open Item Vendors against their unallocated respective transactions. The Allocation Inquiry screen is very similar to the Transaction Inquiry screen, however this function only displays the records that have not yet been fully allocated.
Normally when a transaction is created, the selected, and SapphireOne determines that an allocation should be made, it will immediately display the allocation screen limited to the Vendor for whom the transaction has been actioned against. The Allocation Inquiry screen is usually used to make an immediate allocation for the Vendor.
The main purpose of the Allocation Inquiry screen is to allocate transactions for Open Item Vendors against their respective transactions that have not yet had an allocation made against them. For example, a Receipt against the appropriate Invoice. However with some restrictions, it may also be used to un-allocate transactions when required.
By default, when this function is selected, any transactions for all Vendors that SapphireOne determines have not been fully allocated will be displayed.
If a transaction has been flagged with PAYG withholding tax, the user should ignore the warning at the time of raising the invoice as until the payment is raised and posted, there is no effect on the G/L accounts.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
How to Search for Allocated Transactions in the Allocation Inquiry Screen
The first time the Vendor Allocation Inquiry list screen is displayed SapphireOne will only display transactions in SapphireOne that are currently not 100% allocated.
If the user wants to check on a transaction that has already had an allocation made against it, or wants to un-allocate an un-posted transaction, they will have to tell SapphireOne to display all transactions with Allocations.
There are two ways to do so:
1. Use (Command F) keyboard shortcut to display the ‘find’ pop-up and search for the transaction manually. By default SapphireOne will display the find pop-up with the ‘All Records’ display option already selected.
2. Alternatively, select the ‘Options’ menu on the main toolbar and select ‘Find’.
In both cases, you then have the option to search transactions that are ‘Allocated Less Than 100%’ or to search all transactions from ‘All Records’.
- If the user wants to delete a transaction that has allocations made against it, SapphireOne will not allow the deletion. The user may use this function to un-allocate the invoices from the transaction if the transaction remains un-posted. Documentation on this procedure is detailed further below.
- When a transaction list is on screen there is an option in the Tools function to either allocate 100% or 0% to the currently highlighted transaction. This allocation or un-allocation may be performed on posted or un-posted transactions.
How to Allocate a Transaction
- Firstly, highlight a transaction from your list of transactions.
- Then go to the main toolbar and select the arrow just to the right of the Tools icon. The Tools drop-down menu will be displayed, and you can select the very first option ‘Allocation’. Selecting the icon allows the Allocation Screen to appear as a pop-up screen.
The Allocation Screen window allows the allocation of the selected receipts to any other transaction for the selected Client.
To allocate amounts, you have the two below options:
- Manually select each line in turn and allocate them. This is done by clicking any anywhere in the line with the mouse.
- Select the ‘Apply To’ drop-down menu option from the Activity area and get SapphireOne to automatically allocate based on the selection made from the drop-down menu.
SapphireOne by default will sort the display by date. When the Apply To drop down menu is selected and either the Bottom Up or Top Down option is selected, the user should be aware that if the list is re-sorted for any reason this may not be what the user wants. The user should select the invoices to be paid on a transaction by transaction basis.
The Allocation Screen Has Five Areas
The Allocation Screen is split into five screen areas which have been outlined below. These include:
1. The Transaction area contains basic details about the Vendor that the Allocation is being made for. The amount left to be allocated Remainder, and the Total Allocated so far are both displayed on the right hand side.
2. The Position area displays the the Remainder that is still available for allocation and the Total Allocated amount allocated so far.
3. The Allocation Lines area displays the lines that are available for allocation. This may change with a selection made from the activity area. The drop-down menu to the right-hand end of the Allocation Lines heading has two options. By default it is set at All. Display All and previously applied discounts. If the second option is selected, ‘Discount only the Current discounts will be displayed.
4. The Activity area has four drop-down menus, a check box and a button for the management of discounts. These drop-down menus in the Activity area enable the performing of certain activities. From each menu, you make your selection. Below is a brief description of what each of these options offer.
Activity Area ‘Apply To’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Apply To’ menu is the first drop-down menu in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu manages the manner in which the allocation is applied to transactions. The options on the Apply To menu are as follows:
|Bottom Up:||This spreads the transaction to be allocated from the Bottom Transaction Upwards fully allocating until there is no more to allocate.|
|Top Down:||This spreads the transaction to be allocated from the Top Transaction Downwards fully allocating until there is no more to allocate.|
|Same Amount:||This searches for transaction of the same Value.|
|Same Internal Reference:||This searches for the transaction with the same Internal Reference Nº.|
|Run No:||This allows you to search for transactions by the Run Number. A dialog screen will then ask you to enter the run number.|
Activity Area ‘Look At’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Look At’ menu is the second drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This option enables you to look at the currently selected transaction.
|Transaction:||This allows you to look at the Vendor Invoice (VI) of the selected Transaction which is being allocated.|
|Source:||This allows you to look at the Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI) of the selected Transaction which is being allocated.|
Activity Area ‘Display’ Menu Options
The ‘Display’ menu is the third drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu gives you the ability to display records based on pre-defined criteria.
|Still to be Allocated:||This will display only Transactions that still have Allocations to be made to them.|
|Run No:||This allows you to search for and display Transactions by the Run Number. A dialog screen will allow you to enter the run number.|
|Remove Hold Records:||This removes from the currently displayed screen Transactions that have a Hold status on them. It does NOT remove the hold status from any of the Transactions.|
|Load To Top/O:||This brings up the Query editor so that you may perform a detailed search and find the transaction or transactions that you are looking for.|
Activity Area ‘Actions’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Actions’ menu is the fourth drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu allows you to perform certain actions. These include:
|Reload:||This will reset the window to how it was when you first entered it.|
|Split:||This allows you to split a transaction into two parts and is used for cases such as retentions.|
|Retrieve:||This allows a transaction to be brought back to the current list even if it has been 100% allocated and transferred to History.|
|Hold/Release:||This allows Transactions to be placed on hold or released from hold. Note that this does change the Transaction status.|
5. The fifth area of the Allocation screen is the Line Summary area at the bottom of the screen which displays details of the current line that is highlighted.
How to Distribute Allocation Amounts
Begin by selecting and highlighting the required line, and from there you can follow either of the below two options:
1. Once the line is selected, the full amount for the transaction will be immediately allocated.
2. To use the Allocation dialog screen, first select the transaction you wish to allocate, then right mouse click (for both Mac and Windows) and select the button to display the ‘Allocation Dialog’ pop-up, and type in the amount you are allocating.
In both cases if the amount remaining is less than the amount to be allocated, only the remaining balance will be allocated to the transaction.
How to Apply Allocation Discounts
Usually when a Prompt Payment Discount is selected on an invoice, SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically apply the discount only if payment is made in full within the specified time frame.
If overdue, SapphireOne does not apply the discount and requires you to select the checkbox on the ‘Allocation Amount’ screen to override SapphireOne and apply the discount.
The full discount will then be taken and allocated to the record concerned. If there is a Credit Memo, the Invoice should be recreated for the correct amount and the discount applied.
- Selecting in the Allocation Amount screen will always override the Prompt Payment Discount settings established in the invoice for this transaction only.
- Selecting the checkbox in the Activity area will cause SapphireOne to take the discount for all the transactions processed during this allocation.
- Care must be exercised when overriding the discounts. When a transaction is partially allocated, SapphireOne will apply the discount to the entire transaction and this may not be what the user wants.
How to Split a Transaction
This function is part of the Actions Menu within the Activity area of the Allocation screen, as documented above. Selecting the ‘Split’ option allows the user to create retention retained records. The transaction will be split in two, with the second part being a retention record. The split may be entered as a dollar amount or as a percentage.
How to Un-Allocate a Transaction
The procedure is the same as documented in this post except that we are removing allocations from the transaction instead of adding them.
- Navigate to the Payables menu select the ‘Allocate’ function.
- Go to the ‘Options’ in the top toolbar menu and select ‘Find’, or use (Command F) keyboard shortcut to display the Open Item Vendors find pop up and select ‘All Records’ from the drop-down Menu. SapphireOne will now list transactions that are fully allocated.
The user can now use this Allocation function to un-allocate transactions.
How to Create an Allocation Inquiry Report
- To create an Allocation Inquiry report, the Vendor Allocation Inquiry screen must first be displayed.
- Next select the Print icon to bring up the print dialog pop-up screen.
- From here you are able to select options to print an Allocation Report. This enables you to print different levels of reports showing the linkage of records to the payment. The Report Type Options are listed below.
Report Type Options
|Transaction||Shows the linked transactions allocated.|
|General Ledger||This shows the linked General Ledger allocations.|
|Invoices:||This shows the linked Invoices being paid.|
|Invoice Lines||This shows the Invoice line item allocations.|
|Wide Invoice Lines||This shows the Invoice line detail and project details.|
Compulsory Projects checkbox and Allocating 100%
There is a Master Default check box on the Projects Page Compulsory Projects.
If the checkbox has been selected, and the allocate 100% or option is selected, as above SapphireOne will display an additional pop up as seen to the right asking for the compulsory Project ID to be entered.
46.5% withholding tax and held items
Once the Payment is entered and the allocation screen is accessed would then display the letter P in the flags column. Right click in this column and the pop up as seen to the right will be displayed.
The PAYG area will only be displayed in this pop up if the P flag has been raised.
To remove the PAYG from the transaction de-select the checkbox, and the PAYG component will be removed from the transaction.