Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Overview
Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) functionality, also referred to as Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) involves the welfare, health and safety of personnel at their occupation. The main goal of OHS is to create and develop a safe and healthy occupational work environment.
The SapphireOne Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) functionality within SapphireOne PayRoll/HR allows the user to record and keep track of all WHS Incidents, Outcomes, Trainings and Certificates for employees. The function is directly linked by an Employee ID to the Work Health and Safety Page within an Employee Inquiry. The user will create all WHS records within the WHS Inquiry screen.
When the WHS function is selected SapphireOne will display a list of all active WHS entries as seen below. These WHS records may be linked to any single employee or all of your employees.
Within SapphireOne WHS function you have the ability to record Workplace Incidents, Risk Register and Management plans, names of key WHS people (e.g. WHS Representative, Trained Safety Advisor (TSA), First Aid Attendant), Chemical Storage Records, First Aid Incident Register, Workplace Assessments, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and more. Electronic copies of medical certificates can also be attached for easy access within the employee record.
All inquiry screens in SapphireOne offer the option to customise the list of items displayed on the page. This feature, known as Custom Inquiry, allows you to select the data fields to be shown and the order in which the columns of data appear across the screen. Although a client list is used as an example below, any type of inquiry can be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below represents the standard inquiry list, displaying a basic set of data fields for each client record:
Swap to Custom Inquiry
When you select the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry’ button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen, SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen, as shown below. This Custom List screen provides the user with two main options for organising the data display:
- To add or remove the data field columns displayed on the screen, click the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen, you can right-click on the column lines and choose from Delete, Move Left, or Move Right. More information on the Setup screen is provided below.
- To change the order in which the data field columns are displayed, click the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen, you can right-click on the column lines and choose from Delete, Move Left, or Move Right. More information on the Setup screen is provided below.
Once you have customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will be unique to you, and each time you log in, you will see the same custom view. You also have the option to select and save an unlimited number of custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen, as detailed below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen, which can be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To begin setting up your Customised List screen, click the Setup button, as shown above. The Setup screen will appear, as displayed below.
From this screen, users can add and remove data columns as needed. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables can be included in the Custom List screen, provided the user has the necessary authorisation.
The screen features several menu items across the top, which include:
- Reset to Default – Clicking this button resets the display to the default settings determined by SapphireOne. When you add a new data field, SapphireOne will place it on the right-hand side of the data columns. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to your desired location on the screen.
- Show Related Record – This option allows you to add related fields from other tables. By ticking the Show Related checkbox at the top of the screen, you can select a related record, and a mini view of that related record for the chosen entry will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields to be displayed.
- Favourite Set – Located at the top left of the screen, this option enables you to save a custom-created screen for future use. For instance, you can have a simple Inquiry screen for general use and a more complex screen view when auditing specific information.
Workplace Health and Safety Details Page
Workplace Health and Safety Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically generate a unique sequence number for the WHS entry.
- Inactive Checkbox – A entry will be automatically active when a new WHS entry is created. Select the inactive checkbox when you would like the entry to be removed from the active WHS list.
- Title – Enter a title for the WHS entry.
- Status – Enter the status of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Reference – Enter a reference for the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, type in the name and press Enter. To remove an item, highlight the item and press Delete.
- Created – SapphireOne will automatically record the SapphireOne User, Date and Time the record was created.
- Modified – SapphireOne will automatically record the SapphireOne User, Date and Time the record was most recently modified.
- Type – Enter the Type of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Priority – Enter the Priority of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Location – Enter the Location of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Component – Enter the Component of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Document – Enter the Document of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Custom – This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Custom Text – This field is user customisable and the user may enter data as they require.
- Custom Text B – This field is user customisable and the user may enter data as they require.
- Inventory – Enter the Inventory ID the WHS Inquiry is linked to. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to search for the required Inventory ID.
- Job Project – Enter the Job Project ID the WHS Inquiry is linked to. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to search for the required Project ID.
- Required By – Enter the date the WHS Inquiry is due by. Select on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne calendar.
- Email when Event Closed – Enter the email of the recipient for the close notification of the WHS entry.
- Risk Level – Click on the Risk area to select the level of risk related to the WHS Inquiry from 1 (Green) to 25 (Red).
- Document Paperclip – Select on the paperclip icon to attach any documents related to the WHS Inquiry,
Paperclip Management Saves Time with Easy File Attachment
The SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) features a convenient Paper Clip button on all data entry and inquiry screens. This enables users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. The system also includes a dedicated page for managing documents related to a specific transaction or record, providing robust version control of the attached documents.
The color of the paper clip serves as a visual indicator of the status of the attached documents. A red paper clip indicates that there are no documents currently attached to the transaction or record, while a green paper clip indicates the presence of one or more attached documents. Additionally, the word “Items” is preceded by the number of attached documents, providing a clear and concise representation of the current status.
SapphireOne’s Document Management System is highly versatile and can accommodate a wide range of document types, including Adobe Acrobat, spreadsheets, word processing documents, photo files, JPEGs, CSV files, HEIFs, and MP4 files. With the ability to store an unlimited number of documents for an indefinite amount of time, the system provides users with a comprehensive and efficient solution for managing all their important files and documents.
In SapphireOne, users have the flexibility to control the size of individual documents and determine where they are stored through the Master Defaults settings. These settings can be accessed by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page.
Within the Documents area of the SapphireOne page, there is a Document Size Limit setting with a default size of 10 MB, which can be adjusted as needed. Additionally, users can choose to store the documents either as part of the data file or as separate files, by selecting the appropriate option from the two radio buttons provided.
To attach a document to a transaction, simply click on either the or Paperclip button. The Document List window as seen below will be displayed allowing the the user to select the desired file to attach.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
SapphireOne also provides users with the convenient Drag & Drop functionality to attach documents. To use this feature, simply drag a document from your local computer into the Document List screen and it will be attached automatically. This streamlined process saves time and effort and makes it easier to manage your important files and documents within SapphireOne.
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the
If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus button to select a document to upload from the local computer.
SapphireOne’s document management system provides users with the ability to easily manage their attached documents. After a document has been attached, the user has the option to rename it by right-clicking on the file and selecting Rename This feature is useful for maintaining consistency in document names across all records and helps to keep the system organized and efficient.
Documents Area within Document Management System (DMS)
- Open – By clicking on this button, the document will be opened for viewing, allowing users to review its contents without having to leave the SapphireOne system. This feature provides a convenient and streamlined way to access and review important documents within the context of the larger document management system.
- Update – When this button is selected an alert is displayed allowing the user to import a new version of a highlighted document, enabling version tracking. After selecting a new version, the user enters a version number. The latest version becomes available, with previous versions accessible in the History area. The updated document remains linked to associated transactions.
- Scan – This option in SapphireOne provides users with the ability to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to a transaction. This feature requires access to a local or network scanner, and the appropriate scanner and software must be installed on the local machine or network. By using the Scan option, users can quickly and efficiently digitize physical documents and associate them with the relevant transactions within SapphireOne.
- Save – This button in SapphireOne allows users to save the currently highlighted document to disk. This feature provides a convenient way to export a copy of the document for backup or further use outside of the SapphireOne system. By clicking the Save button, users can easily access a digital copy of their important documents and ensure that they are properly preserved and accessible.
- Link Documents – With SapphireOne, users have the ability to link a highlighted document to one or more transactions within the data file. To do this, the user simply clicks the “Link” button, which will bring up an alert allowing them to make their selection. This feature provides a convenient way to associate important documents with multiple transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Link Existing Documents – SapphireOne provides users with the ability to link existing documents in the data file to the current transaction or record. To do this, the user simply clicks the Link Existing button, which will bring up an Alert allowing them to choose from a list of available documents. This feature provides a convenient way to associate existing documents with additional transactions, ensuring that all relevant information is easily accessible from one central location. For more information about linked documents, refer to the Links Area documentation provided by SapphireOne.
- Delete – This option in SapphireOne allows users to remove the currently highlighted document. By clicking the Delete button, the selected document will be removed from the system, providing users with a simple way to manage their attached documents and ensure that only relevant and up-to-date information is stored within the system.
- Plus – SapphireOne includes a search function that makes it easy for users to select a document saved on their local computer. This feature provides a convenient way to quickly locate and attach the desired document, streamlining the process of adding and managing important files within the SapphireOne system.
Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides users with additional information about the selected document. When a document is selected in the Documents area, the Details area will automatically display the title of the document and the type of file. This information helps users to quickly identify and manage their important files and documents, providing a more efficient and organized system for document management.
Notes Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock button to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Document Details area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides additional information about the selected document. This area automatically displays information such as the date and time the document was added, the document number, and the user who added the document. This information helps users to quickly understand the context of the selected document and provides a comprehensive history of the document’s status and interactions within the system. The Document Details area is a valuable resource for managing and tracking important documents within SapphireOne.
History Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The History area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) provides a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne tracks all version changes and automatically displays the document’s history in this area.
As new versions of the document are imported using the button, the History area will be automatically updated, ensuring that all previous versions of the document are recorded and available for viewing. This enables users to access the most recent version of the document, while still maintaining a complete history of all versions.
The History area provides a valuable resource for tracking the evolution of a document and understanding how it has changed over time. By having a complete record of the document’s history, users can easily review past versions and understand the context of the changes that have been made.
Links Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Links area within SapphireOne’s Document Management System (DMS) is used to link documents to specific transactions or areas within SapphireOne. This area provides a comprehensive view of all linking information related to the document, including any functions used to import the document into SapphireOne.
By linking documents to transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can easily associate important information and files with the relevant transactions, providing a more organized and efficient system for document management. The Links area is a valuable resource for understanding the relationships between documents and transactions within SapphireOne.
To add additional links to a document in SapphireOne, follow these steps:
- Select/highlight the document you wish to link.
- Click the Link Document button.
- The Files pop-up window will be displayed.
- From the File drop-down menu, select the item you want to link the document to.
- In the Value data entry field, enter the necessary details (ID).
Note that the Value data entry field has a light blue background and is searchable by entering the wildcard symbols ‘?’ or ‘@’, making it easier to find the information you need. By linking documents to specific transactions and areas within SapphireOne, users can create a more organized and efficient system for document management.
Updating a Document within Document Management
The process for updating a document in SapphireOne is straightforward:
After clicking the “Update” button in SapphireOne, the user will be asked to confirm if they would like to import a new version of the document:
- Confirm that you wish to import a new version of the document by selecting “Yes.”
- The user will then be prompted to choose the updated document to open.
- After selecting the updated document, a secondary dialogue will appear, asking the user to enter an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Enter the desired value for the new version and select “OK.”
By following these steps, SapphireOne will replace the previous version of the document with the updated document. It will also maintain a complete record of all previous versions in the History area. This process ensures that the most up-to-date information is always readily accessible within the SapphireOne system.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
In addition to SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function in Workbook Mode provides users with a centralized repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. This function gives users the ability to add new documents, modify, view, or delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be automatically updated across all areas where the document is linked within SapphireOne. Similarly, any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window.
For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the updated document name will be reflected when viewing the document in the Documents Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Document Control within Document Management
In this example, we have an inventory item with documents attached, such as installation instructions and a packing checklist. The item is added to a sales order, manufactured, shipped, and the job is completed. SapphireOne’s Document Management Paperclip functionality allows for easy attachment and access to all relevant documents throughout the entire process, from sales order to completion. This improves efficiency and helps ensure all relevant information remains consistently available and up-to-date.
A year after the completion of the job, a revision of the inventory item is made, along with updates to its associated Documents (DMS). To keep the information organized and up-to-date, it is not necessary to create a new inventory item for the revision. Instead, the documents and files can be easily updated using SapphireOne’s DMS file that are attached.
By using the Update button within the DMS, users can import a new version of the document and SapphireOne will automatically keep track of all version changes, ensuring that the most recent information is readily available. This process saves time and effort by allowing users to simply update the documents and files, rather than creating a new inventory item for each revision.
In SapphireOne, when referring back to the original completed sales client invoice or job projects client invoice, the associated documents and files will be displayed in their original state or as they have been updated. The user has the option to view the documents and files as they were at the time of completion or as they currently are, providing a comprehensive and accurate record of all relevant information.
In the screen shot above, both the current and historical documents are attached to the inventory item. As a SapphireOne user, you have the ability to edit the list and choose to delete the historical document by simply selecting the Minus button.
Additionally, you also have the ability to modify the existing document, keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised. This ensures that a complete and accurate record of all revisions to the document is maintained, allowing you to easily reference the most recent version or any previous versions as needed.
The ability to manage both current and historical documents, as well as the option to modify and delete them, provides users with a flexible and efficient solution for document management within SapphireOne.
Workplace Health and Safety Description Area
In the lower half of the screen there are 4 tabs – Summary, Details, Persons and History. The area below these Tabs will alter as each Tab is selected allowing the user to enter data as required. Data entry or modifications must be made by selecting the Details and Persons tabs.
Dictation and Speech to Text Overview
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line.
The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive time saver.
Workplace Health and Safety Summary Tab
SapphireOne defaults to the Summary tab as seen above when the WHS record is first created. This tab displays a summary of the foundational information that is entered into the Details, Persons and History tabs.
Workplace Health and Safety Details Tab
- SapphireOne will enter the current date for the creation of this record but it may be altered if required.
- The user may enter in a description of the WHS event record.
- The notes area is where any additional notes and documentation about this WHS event may be entered.
Workplace Health and Safety Persons Tab
This tab is where the personnel or employee that this record is to be linked to are selected.
- The and buttons allow the user to Add or Delete personnel or employees linked to this WHS record.
- The Employee data entry field has a light blue background for the use of the ‘@’ or ‘?’ wild card to search for the correct Employee ID.
- The user may directly enter data into the Line entry area or use the Relationship and Type drop down menus. These are both user creatable and are directly linked to their respective fields that display the data in the line entry area at the top of the screen. Once a selection is made it is written into the appropriate data entry field in the line entry area.
Workplace Health and Safety History Tab
The History Tab keeps a record of all changes to the WHS record. To view a particular event the user can highlight it and extended details will be displayed in the area below.
Workplace Health and Safety Actions Page
Action Page Overview
The Action Page is a versatile tool that can be added to major records and transaction tables. It includes various actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps, as well as All Day Notifications. This provides users with a centralised location to manage and organise their tasks, meetings, and notes, improving efficiency and productivity.
The Action Page allows users to use the add or delete buttons to add or delete actions as required. Simply select the relevant button to add or delete an action.
The Diary Area in SapphireOne provides users with a comprehensive range of options to customise their actions. It includes a sequence number, title, type, action, user, privacy settings, status, tag, and link fields.
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a unique sequence number for each action.
- Title – Enter a title for the action.
- Type – Choose from the customisable drop-down menu to input a type. This will subsequently become a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Utilise the user-customisable drop-down menu to input an Action. This will then become a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne automatically inputs the user creating this action, though it can be modified if necessary.
- Private – If this checkbox is selected, SapphireOne will only permit the specified user to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options: Open, Hold, and Completed.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active, but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and won’t be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – Users may attach a tag to an action, which will create a permanent tag within the drop-down. To add a new tag, type the name of the new tag into the tag box and press the tab key. Select “Yes” from the pop-up window to confirm. To remove a tag from the list, click on the tag name while holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Select “Yes” from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion.
- Link – When created within a transaction or record, SapphireOne automatically generates a link to the transaction or record. When created from the Options Menu, Palette, or Workbook, users must select an item or function from the drop-down menu to link the action. There are 12 items on this list, ranging from Clients to Manager.
Check List Area
SapphireOne offers a user-friendly checklist tool to create and track actions, allowing users to check off completed items as they progress.
Dates and Times Area
- Start/Finish – Set a Start and Finish time for the action, or select the checkbox for an all-day option.
- Completed – Entering a completion date for an action deactivates it, and it will no longer appear in action lists.
Never forget a task again – set up alarms to send reminders via email at specific dates and times. Users can also receive email notifications with the provided email address.
If necessary, the alarm can be set to recur at intervals selected from the Type drop-down menu. Additionally, the recurring period can be defined by date.
Click the green clock button to add time and date stamps to your notes. You can also customize the font, style, color, and background color of the text in the Notes area by highlighting it and right-clicking.
Invite Attendees Area
In the event module, you can invite multiple attendees to your event and track their acceptance or rejection of the invitation. You can also send them an email notification if their email addresses are provided. Additionally, you can manage and track attendees’ RSVP status in real-time.
Documents Page Overview
The Documents Page centralises document and information storage for transactions and master tables, streamlining organisation and management for easy access and improved efficiency.
The Documents Page simplifies file management by allowing various document types to be attached via drag and drop, including PDFs, spreadsheets, photos, and more. It provides a centralised location for document and information storage for transactions and master tables, streamlining organisation and management for easy access and improved efficiency.
Documents can only be attached once the corresponding record has an assigned ID.
Documents List Screen Options
There are eight buttons on the Document List screen, as follows:
- Open – Allows viewing of the currently selected document.
- Update – Prompts the user to import a new version of the selected document while maintaining links to any associated transactions.
- Scan – Accesses a scanner for scanning documents directly into the data file and linking them to the current transaction (requires a compatible scanner with software).
- Save – Saves the currently selected document.
- Link Document: Enables linking of the selected document to other transactions in the data file, presenting a popup for user selection.
- Link Document – Allows linking of an existing document in the data file to the current transaction or record, displaying a popup with a list of documents to choose from.
- Link Existing Document – Allows linking of an existing document in the data file to the current transaction or record, displaying a popup with a list of documents to choose from.
- Delete – Deletes the currently selected transaction or record.
- Add – Displays a search function for selecting a document from the local computer or device.
The Details area allows users to add a custom name, description, and tags to each document, enabling easy search and location of specific documents. These details can be customised to meet the specific needs of the user or organisation, further improving the efficiency and organisation of the Documents Page.
Last Modified Area
The Last Modified section displays the date and time when the document was last modified, as well as the user who made the changes. This feature helps maintain accountability and enables efficient tracking of document modifications.
The History area records changes made to the document, including the date, time, and user who made the changes. This provides a valuable tool for tracking and managing document revisions.
The Links area allows users to record links to other places where the document has been attached. Links can be added or removed using the (+) and (-) buttons, providing an efficient way to manage and organise related documents.
The Notes area allows users to add any relevant notes related to the document. Clicking the green clock button will add a date/time stamp, further improving document tracking and management.