Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Overview
Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) functionality, also referred to as Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) involves the welfare, health and safety of personnel at their occupation. The main goal of OHS is to create and develop a safe and healthy occupational work environment.
The SapphireOne Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) functionality within SapphireOne PayRoll/HR allows the user to record and keep track of all WHS Incidents, Outcomes, Trainings and Certificates for employees. The function is directly linked by an Employee ID to the Work Health and Safety Page within an Employee Inquiry. The user will create all WHS records within the WHS Inquiry screen.
When the WHS function is selected SapphireOne will display a list of all active WHS entries as seen below. These WHS records may be linked to any single employee or all of your employees.
Within SapphireOne WHS function you have the ability to record Workplace Incidents, Risk Register and Management plans, names of key WHS people (e.g. WHS Representative, Trained Safety Advisor (TSA), First Aid Attendant), Chemical Storage Records, First Aid Incident Register, Workplace Assessments, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and more. Electronic copies of medical certificates can also be attached for easy access within the employee record.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
Work Health & Safety Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically generate a unique sequence number for the WHS entry.
- Inactive Checkbox – A entry will be automatically active when a new WHS entry is created. Select the inactive checkbox when you would like the entry to be removed from the active WHS list.
- Title – Enter a title for the WHS entry.
- Status – Enter the status of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Reference – Enter a reference for the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, type in the name and press Enter. To remove an item, highlight the item and press Delete.
- Created – SapphireOne will automatically record the SapphireOne User, Date and Time the record was created.
- Modified – SapphireOne will automatically record the SapphireOne User, Date and Time the record was most recently modified.
- Type – Enter the Type of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Priority – Enter the Priority of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Location – Enter the Location of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Component – Enter the Component of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Document – Enter the Document of the WHS entry here. This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Custom – This drop-down menu is user customisable. To add a new item to the list, click on the symbol to the right of the menu. To remove an item, hold the shift key down and click on the symbol.
- Custom Text – This field is user customisable and the user may enter data as they require.
- Custom Text B – This field is user customisable and the user may enter data as they require.
- Inventory – Enter the Inventory ID the WHS Inquiry is linked to. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to search for the required Inventory ID.
- Job Project – Enter the Job Project ID the WHS Inquiry is linked to. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to search for the required Project ID.
- Required By – Enter the date the WHS Inquiry is due by. Select on the underlined heading to bring up the SapphireOne calendar.
- Email when Event Closed – Enter the email of the recipient for the close notification of the WHS entry.
- Risk Level – Click on the Risk area to select the level of risk related to the WHS Inquiry from 1 (Green) to 25 (Red).
- Document Paperclip – Select on the paperclip icon to attach any documents related to the WHS Inquiry,
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
In the lower half of the screen there are 4 tabs – Summary, Details, Persons and History. The area below these Tabs will alter as each Tab is selected allowing the user to enter data as required. Data entry or modifications must be made by selecting the Details and Persons tabs.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
SapphireOne defaults to the Summary tab as seen above when the WHS record is first created. This tab displays a summary of the foundational information that is entered into the Details, Persons and History tabs.
- SapphireOne will enter the current date for the creation of this record but it may be altered if required.
- The user may enter in a description of the WHS event record.
- The notes area is where any additional notes and documentation about this WHS event may be entered.
This tab is where the personnel or employee that this record is to be linked to are selected.
- The and buttons allow the user to Add or Delete personnel or employees linked to this WHS record.
- The Employee data entry field has a light blue background for the use of the ‘@’ or ‘?’ wild card to search for the correct Employee ID.
- The user may directly enter data into the Line entry area or use the Relationship and Type drop down menus. These are both user creatable and are directly linked to their respective fields that display the data in the line entry area at the top of the screen. Once a selection is made it is written into the appropriate data entry field in the line entry area.
The History Tab keeps a record of all changes to the WHS record. To view a particular event the user can highlight it and extended details will be displayed in the area below.
The Action Page is a seperate table that can be added to the major record and transaction tables. This includes actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps plus All Day Notifications. The Action Page can be viewed as the equivalent to CRM functionality for every major Table within SapphireOne Accounting Software.
You can Add or Delete Actions . If you double click on an existing Action it will zoom in ready to modify.
- Diary Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a unique sequence number.
- Title – Enter in a title for this action.
- Type – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in a type. This will then form a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in an Action. This will then form a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne will enter in the user who is creating this action although this may be altered if required.
- Private – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will only allow the User as entered to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and will not be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – A tag may be attached to an action. This will then form a permanent tag within the drop-down.
- Link – When created from a function a link to the function is automatically created by SapphireOne.
- Check List area – A user created check list for creating actions. A check box is provided so that a user can selected them off as they progress.
- Dates and Times Area:
- Start/Finish – You can set an action to have a Start and a Finish time, or select the check box for an all Day option.
- Completed – Once an action has a completed date entered it will no longer be active and displayed in any lists of actions.
- Alarm Area – An alarm can be set to email someone at a certain date and time, or send your user a reminder and/or email if the email has been entered.
- Recurring Area – If necessary the alarm may be set to at set periods established by the Type drop down menu. The recurring period may also be set by date if required.
- Notes Area – You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
- Invite Attendees Area – You can invite multiple attendees to your event and keep track of if they have accepted or rejected your invite. These attendees can be notified by email if the email has been entered.
The Documents Page is used to store and record documents and information relating to data entry, transactions and master tables.
Any type of document can be attached to the Documents area. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files and more.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document or file from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
Please note that when creating a new record in SapphireOne, you are unable to attach a document until the record has an entered ID.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. (The appropriate software must be installed on the local computer or device).
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a popup which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. (The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version).
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to this transaction. (The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local computer, device or network).
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted transaction or record.
- When the Add button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer or device.
The Title and Type of the document are displayed in the Details Area.
Last Modified Area
The documents area keeps a record of the Time and Date of when the document was last modified in addition to who initially added it.