Client Invoice Overview
When you enter a valid Client ID into the invoice, the client details are automatically populated from the Client’s Master File. If prices and discounts have been set up in the Client’s Master File or Price Book they will be displayed on screen.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter details in the Client Invoice Transactions area:
- Client ID – The Client ID is a linked field where the Wildcard characters may be used ( @ or ? ) options.
- Order Number – Enter the Client Order Nº if applicable. In SapphireOne this is called an External Reference Nº that is alpha numeric.
- Invoice N° – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically generate an Invoice Nº sequentially based on a sequential number from the Internal Numbers page as set up in Company Inquiry. You can overwrite this when required.
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax. If the Client is dealing in a foreign currency, the appropriate currency and tax will be displayed. These are set up in the Client’s Master File.
- Date In – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in today’s date . To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete and have been locked by a user in master defaults).
- Due Date – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the due date according to the Clients terms which are set up in the Client’s Master File. This may be altered if required by clicking on the underlined Due Date for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Discount – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in a discount for the Client which are set up in the respective Client’s Master File.
If there are no discount terms set up for the Client in their master default file, the Discount area will appear as 0.00%. If a discount is manually entered by a user, the amount will be displayed as a percentage in the Discount field.
- How to set up a Client Discount:
- Go to Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Accounts.
- In the top tool bar under Receivables select Client Inquiry.
- Open on the Client you would like to modify.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Terms.
- Enter the Discount Details in the Section provided.
- How to alter the discount in the current Invoice ONLY:
- By percentage – Simply type over the new percentage for the discount. SapphireOne will re-calculate the dollar amount.
- By dollar amount – Select the button and manually type in the dollar amount (minus the $ sign) for the discount. SapphireOne will re-calculate the percentage.
- How to set up a Client Discount:
- Days – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the number of days for prompt payment discount which are set up in the Client Master File.
- Memo – Enter any data or notes.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Client Invoice.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for anybody doing data entry within SapphireOne. Any data entry field that the user can type into using a keyboard, they can use this feature.
They can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client and they have just made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology, this will automatically date and time stamp the contact and the phone number you called to. As soon as the call is completed or finished, the user has the ability to use the Speech to Text (Windows) function or Dictation (MacOS) function and dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, if the user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI) and they want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI), the user can simply dictate the memo. Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account when the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each General Ledger account line, the user can utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Additionally, if you’ve got an interview with an employee and after the interview process is completed the user is able to make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool and it’s something that we at SapphireOne as well as our clients utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
Information Tab Area
The Client Invoice Information area is used to display additional information about the current transaction. You may only view information here, not alter it. Click on the different Information tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information tabs will change automatically and display the data relevant to the tab.
- Client – This Tab displays details about the Client i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value and percentage of the allocation.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation. It shows the allocated dollar amount and the allocated percentage.
- General Ledger – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Transaction – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
The Client Invoice Standing Transactions are used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A Standing Transaction is usually given a Start Date and a Finish Date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Standing Transactions will only be created if the previous periods Standing Transactions have been posted.
If a Standing transactions Stop Date is left as 00/00/00 SapphireOne will keep creating the transaction until it is manually altered or deleted by a user.
The Client Invoice Destination area is where the lines are stored that go to make up this transaction. Depending on the transaction, this can be from a single line in accounts mode to a hundred or more in Inventory mode.
All of the lines in the Destination area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
How to enter details in the Destination area:
- Account – This is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard ( @ or ? ) options to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Net Amount – Type in the Net Amount. This is the amount minus tax OR TAB though and enter in Total Amount. SapphireOne will either forward or reverse calculate the tax as required.
- Tax Code – These should not normally be altered by the user and are entered by SapphireOne as they are setup elsewhere in SapphireOne. The user can select a Tax Code from the drop-down menu or enter in manually if required.
- Amount – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field with the appropriate tax as a dollar amount based on the tax code selected.
- Total – If the User has entered in the Net Amount, SapphireOne will automatically populate this field of the total amount based on the amount and tax amount. The user may also enter the total including tax and SapphireOne will re-calculate the amount.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. A retention can be set by the project, which will automatically apply a retention. The percentage retained is displayed, and this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required. View Project ID
- Project Name – Once the Project ID is selected, SapphireOne will automatically populate this field with the Project Name.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Transaction List – All of the lines in the transaction are displayed here. It is a convenient list which displays only the basic details of each transaction. You cannot edit from this list. To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area- select the line, the details will then be displayed for you to view or modify in the other relevant areas.
- Company – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
Transaction Footer Area
The Client Invoice Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows you to check the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – SapphireOne automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the client invoice that have been entered at any given time.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit ok.
- Tag – A drop down menu allows the User to mark the record with a tag.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.