Purchase Money Receipt Overview
The Purchase Money Receipt is the seventh item on the Inventory Purchases Data Entry menu. The Purchase Money Receipt function allows for the return of goods and/or the receiving of credit for services. It acts in the opposite way to a Purchase Money Payment.
- Memo – Type in memo/notes.
- Address – This field is the mailing address which automatically populates from the Vendor record.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the transaction.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Updating a Document
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
Information Tab Area
The Purchase Money Receipt Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed.
- Bank – Displays banking details including Account ID, Department, Class, Type, Group, Project etc.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default Vendor.
- Pricing – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays any Price Book entries that have been set up for this Inventory item.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
- Add/Deduct – This tab displays additions and deductions details.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
The Purchase Money Receipt Tracking Details area stores tracking details such as the current Date, Delivery Date, Invoice No, Sales Rep and Carrier.
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- Arrival – When converted from a Vendor Order (OVI) to a Vendor Purchase (PVI), the Arrival Date will automatically become the Date In for the PVI.
- Invoice No – Internal reference number and automatically generated.
- Order No – External reference number.
- Rep ID – Sales representative ID.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
Transaction Lines Area
As you enter a transaction a summary of the transaction appears in a single line.
- Inventory – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wild card options to replace part of the ID with wild cards. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to search through for the Inventory code.
- Inventory Name – Once a Valid ID has been entered SapphireOne will display the Inventory Name just below the Inventory ID data entry field.
- Unit – Populates the unit details as set in the inventory item, for example Set, Each, Ctn, Kg, etc
- Quantity – Enter the quantity requested.
- Rate – This is the Line Item default rate. You can enter in a new rate but note this is the rate excluding tax.
- Discount – Enter any Discount percentage allocated.
- Tax Code – You may accept the default code or enter in a new tax code.
- Tax % – For example Australia, USA, New Zealand and other countries, the Vendor Tax Code controls the rate. In Australia, the Inventory file will override on GST free or exempt items as required.
- Tax Amount – This will automatically populate with the total amount of tax for each individual line.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax. There are two locations where the Ex-Tax value is displayed. In the Line Listing where it is displayed on a line by line basis, and in the Totals area at the bottom of the screen as a value for the entire order. This is for users who are arriving orders and need to be able to view the Ex-Tax pricing within the Order.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard “@” or “?” option to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will display the Project Name.
- Don’t Print – Select Don’t Print to stop the line below from printing on the vendor order. The amount from this line is still included in the total value of the vendor order.
- System automatic data entry – All of the following items details must first be entered into each Inventory Item. The user will note that these data fields are a mixture of grey and white. Grey indicates that it is entered by SapphireOne and the user is not allowed to alter it. The white background indicates that if a quantity is entered into these data entry fields by a user, SapphireOne will then re-calculate the quantity.
- Weight / Area – Is white and indicates that this field is modifiable by the user. It displays the total weight or area x order quantity. The user may enter the total weight required, which will automatically update the order quantity.
- Carton – Is grey and displays the total cartons: quantity multiplied by the carton quantity set in Inventory details and is not user modifiable.
- Pallet – Is white and indicates that this field is modifiable by the user. It displays thepallet quantity which is the number of pallets that will will be used for the quantity the second decimal place. The user may enter the total pallets required, which will automatically update the order quantity.
- 2nd Unit – Displays total 2nd unit (quantity multiplied by 2nd unit quantity set in Inventory details).
- Ex Tax – See above Ex Tax. This is for users who are arriving orders and need to be able to view the Ex-Tax pricing within the entire Order.
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Purchase Money Receipt Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Amount – Total Amount is the Tax free amount of the order.
- Ordered Weight – Is the Total Weight of the Vendor Order.
- Weight/Area – Weight/Area is the total weight or area of all lines entered on the order.
- Carton – Is the calculated total quantity of Cartons.
- Pallets – Is the calculated total quantity of Pallets.
- Tags – The user can select a saved Tag from this Drop down or add a custom tag.
- Access to More Functions Button –
- Export Lines – Export Lines allows the user to export the lines from any inventory or job project base transactions. This allows the user to export lines, then the client or vendor receives an email with a text file attachment, which they can then import into their SapphireOne ERP.
- Discount – Allows for the generation of an overall discount on the transaction based on either a fixed dollar value or a percentage.
- Zoom for Current Linked Record Button – Clicking on the icon once minimises the header for a reduced screen view showing only transaction lines. The icon will then change to maximise, and by clicking on it again it will return the screen to the standard view.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
More Details Page
Text Details Area
The SapphireOne Text Details area is for adding additional unlimited text information regarding the quote.
Delivery Instructions Area
The SapphireOne Delivery Instructions area is for adding additional unlimited Delivery Instructions regarding the quote.
Banking Details Area
- Bank Account Paid To – Enter the Bank Account the transaction is being paid to. Enter the Wildcard “@” or “?” symbols to select from a list of entered Bank Accounts.
- Drawer – Enter the name of the Drawer.
- Footer Details Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional fields or information to the Footer of the transaction.
- Order Message Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional messages or information related to the transaction.
This Custom Page is where the user is able to customise both the Custom and Transaction Lines area. This Custom Page is available in nearly every major function in SapphireOne, including Clients, Vendors, Inventory, Job Projects, Assets and Employee inquiries.
There are various numbers of Alpha, Numeric, Date and text field headings that are available for the user to customise. When the user edits these headings it is important to consider the number of characters that will fit into the space provided on the Custom page itself. A second consideration is how the headings will fit into any reports that are produced from this Custom Page.
For the existing default names as entered by SapphireOne, the first number indicates the order that it is in the group, and the second number denotes how long the actual data entry field is for the entry of user data. For example, IVAlpha1_20 denotes that the Data Entry Field is the 1st data entry field in the group, and it will allow up to 20 characters. IVAlpha4_30 denotes that is is the 4th data entry field in the group with a maxim limit of 30 Characters.
Link to Sequence
The ‘Link to Sequence’ function allows the user to link a Sale and a Purchase to each other. This is done through the SapphireOne Back to Back function. The SapphireOne Back to Back function links each inventory item on a Quote to it’s unique Vendor or Vendors. When the user converts a Quote to an Order Client Invoice (OCI), the Back to Back function will simultaneously generate an Order Vendor Invoice (OVI). Both the OCI and OVI will have their respective sequence numbers linked through the ‘Link To Sequence’ found on the Custom Page.
The same applies to a Sales Client Invoice (SCI) linking to a Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). For example, when an OVI arrives into stock and is converted to a PVI, the user will be able to identify which client order the goods are to be applied to by using the sequence number in the ‘Linked To Sequence’ function.
By clicking on the ‘Linked to Sequence’ headline SapphireOne will automatically display the linked transaction.
Transaction Lines Area
In the Transaction Lines area of the Custom Page, each transaction line can have it’s own unique set of custom fields. This includes Notes, five Alpha based custom headings, numeric field and date field per transaction line.
While the screen shot above is from a Sales Transaction, the procedure for the user to customise this page is exactly the same no matter what function the Custom Page resides in. All of the data entry fields in these Custom Pages may be used in reports in the same manner that other data entry fields are reported on in SapphireOne.