Purchase Money Payment Overview
The Purchase Money Payment, also commonly referred to as a Cash Purchase, is the sixth item on the Inventory Purchases Data Entry menu. The Purchase Money Payment is used to enter cash purchases of stock from suppliers not set up as a Vendor within the SapphireOne system.
The remainder of the data-entry process for Purchase Money Payment is exactly the same as a Vendor Invoice, except that there is not a requirement to enter in a Vendor ID.
- Memo – Type in memo/notes as required.
- Address – This field is for recording a mailing address if supplied (for warranty, insurance, etc.)
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the transaction.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
Information Tab Area
The Purchase Money Payment Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed.
- Bank – Displays banking details including Account ID, Department, Class, Type, Group, Project etc.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default Vendor.
- Pricing – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays any Price Book entries that have been set up for this Inventory item.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
- Add/Deduct – This tab displays additions and deductions details.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
The Purchase Money Payment Tracking Details area stores tracking details such as the current Date, Delivery Date, Invoice No, Sales Rep and Carrier.
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- Arrival – When converted from a Vendor Order (OVI) to a Vendor Purchase (PVI), the Arrival Date will automatically become the Date In for the PVI.
- Cheque No – Enter cheque number.
- Invoice No – Internal reference number and automatically generated.
- Rep ID – Sales representative ID.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
Transaction Lines Area
As you enter a transaction a summary of the transaction appears in a single line.
- Inventory – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option, or simply type part or all of the product name to search for the Inventory code.
- Unit – Populates the unit details as set in the inventory item, for example Set, Each, Ctn, Kg, etc.
- Quantity – Enter the quantity requested.
- Rate – This is the Line Item default rate. You can enter in a new rate but note this is the rate excluding tax.
- Discount – Enter any Discount percent age allocated.
- Tax Code – You may accept the default code or enter in a new tax code.
- Tax % – For example Australia, USA, New Zealand and other countries, the Vendor Tax Code controls the rate. In Australia, the Inventory file will override on GST free or exempt items as required.
- Tax Amount – This will automatically populate with the total amount of tax for each individual line.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax. There are two locations where the Ex-Tax value is displayed. In the Line Entry area where it is displayed on a line by line basis, and in the Totals area at the bottom of the screen as a value for the entire order. This is for users who are arriving orders and need to be able to view the Ex-Tax pricing within the Order.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will display the Project Name.
- Don’t Print – Select Don’t Print to stop the line below from printing on the vendor order. The amount from this line is still included in the total value of the vendor order.
- Weight/Area – This field displays the total weight or area x order quantity. The user may enter the total weight required which will automatically update the order quantity.
- Carton – Displays the total cartons: quantity multiplied by the carton quantity set in Inventory details.
- Pallet – Displays the pallet quantity (quantity multiplied by the pallet quantity set in Inventory details).
- 2nd Unit – Displays total 2nd unit (quantity multiplied by 2nd unit quantity set in Inventory details).
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Purchase Money Payment Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Amount – Total Amount is the Tax free amount of the order.
- Ordered Weight – Is the Total Weight of the Vendor Order.
- Weight/Area – Weight/Area is the total weight or area of all lines entered on the order.
- Carton – Is the calculated total quantity of Cartons.
- Pallets – Is the calculated total quantity of Pallets.
- Tags – The user can select a saved Tag from this Drop down or add a custom tag.
- Add/Remove – The user can click on the + to add a line or – to remove a transaction line.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
More Details Page
Text Details Area
The SapphireOne Text Details area is for adding additional unlimited text information regarding the quote.
Delivery Instructions Area
The SapphireOne Delivery Instructions area is for adding additional unlimited Delivery Instructions regarding the quote.
Banking Details Area
- Bank Account Paid From – Enter the Bank Account the transaction is being paid from. Enter the ‘@’ or ‘?’ symbols to select from a list of entered Bank Accounts.
- Payee – Enter the name of the Payee.
- Footer Details Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional fields or information to the Footer of the transaction.
- Order Message Text Box – This is an additional information box for the user to include any additional messages or information related to the transaction.
This Custom Page is where the user is able to customise both the Custom and Transaction Lines area. This Custom Page is available in nearly every major function in SapphireOne, including Clients, Vendors, Inventory, Job Projects, Assets and Employee inquiries.
There are various numbers of Alpha, Numeric, Date and text field headings that are available for the user to customise. When the user edits these headings it is important to consider the number of characters that will fit into the space provided on the Custom page itself. A second consideration is how the headings will fit into any reports that are produced from this Custom Page.
For the existing default names as entered by SapphireOne, the first number indicates the order that it is in the group, and the second number denotes how long the actual data entry field is for the entry of user data. For example, IVAlpha1_20 denotes that the Data Entry Field is the 1st data entry field in the group, and it will allow up to 20 characters. IVAlpha4_30 denotes that is is the 4th data entry field in the group with a maxim limit of 30 Characters.
Link to Sequence
The ‘Link to Sequence’ function allows the user to link a Sale and a Purchase to each other. This is done through the SapphireOne Back to Back function. The SapphireOne Back to Back function links each inventory item on a Quote to it’s unique Vendor or Vendors. When the user converts a Quote to an Order Client Invoice (OCI), the Back to Back function will simultaneously generate an Order Vendor Invoice (OVI). Both the OCI and OVI will have their respective sequence numbers linked through the ‘Link To Sequence’ found on the Custom Page.
The same applies to a Sales Client Invoice (SCI) linking to a Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). For example, when an OVI arrives into stock and is converted to a PVI, the user will be able to identify which client order the goods are to be applied to by using the sequence number in the ‘Linked To Sequence’ function.
By clicking on the ‘Linked to Sequence’ headline SapphireOne will automatically display the linked transaction.
Transaction Lines Area
In the Transaction Lines area of the Custom Page, each transaction line can have it’s own unique set of custom fields. This includes Notes, five Alpha based custom headings, numeric field and date field per transaction line.
While the screen shot above is from a Sales Transaction, the procedure for the user to customise this page is exactly the same no matter what function the Custom Page resides in. All of the data entry fields in these Custom Pages may be used in reports in the same manner that other data entry fields are reported on in SapphireOne.