Tariff Inquiry Overview
A tariff is a tax imposed by a government on imports or exports of goods and services. The primary benefit of tariffs is to produce revenue on goods and services brought into the country, as well as for regulation of foreign trade and policy to encourage or protect the domestic industry. By placing fixed or variable tariffs on foreign imports, people are encouraged to develop production and buy local products in order to boost the countries economy. Tariffs can also serve as an opening point for negotiations between countries.
The SapphireOne Tariff Inquiry function in the Inventory Manager Menu allows the user to create the applicable Tariffs for any goods being imported and exported.
The user is required to create the Tariff codes prior to commencing the SapphireOne Importer Inquiry function. If Tariffs are to be used the Importer function will require the use of an existing Tariff number which specifies the GST, VAT or Duty as a percentage. It important to create a non-diminishing item in your Base Inventory as a Tariff Item if you require SapphireOne to automatically generate the incoming GST/DUTY PVI. Further information on this can be found below.
When first opening the Tariff Importer Inquiry screen the Tariffs are initially listed in order of entry with the most recently dated at the top. You can change the sort order by simply clicking on any of the column headings. You can also change the selected column by re-clicking the column heading to change it from ascending to descending, or vice versa.
You can also adjust the order of the columns by clicking on the column and dragging to the left or right. Like other List Windows in SapphireOne, you can re-organise the information displayed by highlighting and using functions from the Options Menu.
To obtain full details for the Tariff you can Look by selecting a single line or a group and then selecting the Look icon. To Modify a Tariff you can double click on the Inventory item or you can click on the Tariff once and select the Modify icon or use the keyboard shortcut. Both screens look the same but only by selecting Modify can you amend the data. To create a new Tariff, click on the New icon.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate below, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logs in they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
Tariff Details Page
- ID – Enter the Tariff ID. This is the unique Tariff Reference ID to assist with tracking. This can be made up of alpha numeric characters.
- Name – Enter the chosen Tariff Name.
- Company – Select the Company the Tariff is linked to. SapphireOne will automatically input the Company that the user is logged into.
- Tax Code – Enter the applicable Tax Code.
- Last Update – Enter the date of the last time the Tariff was updated.
- Duty % – Set the Duty as the % that is to be applied.
- Minimum – Enter the minimum dollar amount of of the Tariff.
The Settings Area allows you to apply additional rules to the Duty calculation as required.
- Rules Dropdown Menu – Within SapphireOne you have the ability to set up various rules based on the Tax Jurisdiction. Select the required Rule here.
- Rounding Dropdown Menu – Here you have the option to round the Tariff to the nearest cent, or down or up to the nearest dollar amount.
- Formula – Enter any formula that is required here.
Any notes that are required for this class may be entered here. You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
SapphireOne Importer Function
SapphireOne’s Importer Inquiry function in the Inventory Manager menu is the single repository for all Importer information. This includes tracking details, container information, costing, shipping details and any recorded transactions associated with the import process. The user has the power to manage the various functionalities and processes associated with importing goods, including applying all necessary Tariffs.
The user will be required to create the Tariff codes prior to creating an Importer. If Tariffs are to be used the Importer function will require the use of an existing Tariff number which specifies the GST, VAT or Duty as a percentage.
Please note that it is important to create a non-diminishing item in your Base Inventory as a Tariff Item if you require SapphireOne to automatically generate the incoming GST/VAT/DUTY Purchase Vendor Invoice (PVI). This can be created within the Inventory Inquiry function within SapphireOne Inventory Mode. The Inventory item must be created with the Class = DUTY, Type = Non-Diminishing, Tax Code = Z and the Use Checkbox selected.
Within the Transaction Line Entry area on the Purchase Vendor Invoice SapphireOne will look in your Base Inventory for an item with the exact same name as the Tariff and create the line for the matching Inventory ID. SapphireOne will then use the percentage figure in the Tariff to calculate a dollar amount for the line based on the total value of any items in the importer record that has a class set as Product.
To display the additional Importer Line on Purchase transactions, the Purchase On Cost check-box needs to be selected in the Invoice Settings Screen of Master Defaults in Utilities Mode. This can be found in Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > Invoices. This will then allow the entry of duty information and other on-cost data in the Purchase Transaction Screens.
The Action Page is a separate table that can be added to the major records and transaction tables. This includes actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps plus All Day Notifications.
You can Add or Delete Actions . If you double click on an existing Action it will open, ready to be modified.
- Diary Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a unique sequence number.
- Title – Enter in a title for this action.
- Type – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in a type. This will then form a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in an Action. This will then form a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne will enter in the user who is creating this action although, this may be altered if required.
- Private – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will only allow the User as entered to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and will not be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – A tag may be attached to an action. This will then form a permanent tag within the drop-down. To add a new Tag category, type the name of new tag into the tag box on the screen and then hit the tab key. Then select Yes from the pop-up window to confirm. Alternatively, if you wish to remove a Tag from the list, select the drop-down menu and click on the name of the Tag you wish to remove whilst simultaneously holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Then select Yes from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion from your current list.
- Link – When created from within a transaction or a record, a link to the transaction or record is automatically created by SapphireOne. When created from the Options Menu, Palette or Workbook, the user will have to select from the drop down menu if the action is to be linked to an item or function. There are 12 items on this list from Clients to Manager.
- Check List area – A user created check list for creating actions. A check box is provided so that a user can selected them off as they progress.
- Dates and Times Area:
- Start/Finish – You can set an action to have a Start and a Finish time, or select the check box for an all Day option.
- Completed – Once an action has a completed date entered it will no longer be active and displayed in any lists of actions.
- Alarm Area – An alarm can be set to email someone at a certain date and time, or send your user a reminder and/or email if the email has been entered.
- Recurring Area – If necessary the alarm may be set to at set periods established by the Type drop down menu. The recurring period may also be set by date if required.
- Notes Area – You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
- Invite Attendees Area – You can invite multiple attendees to your event and keep track of if they have accepted or rejected your invite. These attendees can be notified by email if the email has been entered.