General Ledger Overview
In accounting, the General Ledger is synonymous with accounting and bookkeeping. The General Ledger can also be referred to as the GL, the Ledger and Nominal Ledger. The transaction types that commonly update the Ledger are General Ledger Journals, and sub-ledgers such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Fixed Assets, Inventory, Job Projects and PayRoll/HR.
A Ledger account is created for each account in the Chart of Accounts, and are classified into account categories such as Income, Expenses, Assets, Liabilities and Equity, and the collection of these accounts is referred to as the General Ledger. An organisations Income Statement (Profit and Loss P&L) and Balance Sheet are both derived from income and expense account categories in the General Ledger.
SapphireOne Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software will update sub-ledgers and the General Ledger, with entries drawn from the SapphireOne data file that is shared with other processes managed through the SapphireOne ERP.
This is the same General Ledger Inquiry screen that is available within SapphireOne Accounts mode. Please navigate to General Ledger Inquiry for full details on this Inquiry screen.
General Ledger Chart of Accounts details are entered into your SapphireOne Payroll/HR here. This is the same General Ledger Inquiry screen that is available within SapphireOne Accounts mode. Please navigate to General Ledger Inquiry for full details on General Ledger functionality. The purpose of this PayRoll/HR General Ledger Inquiry screen is so that all users who only have access to the PayRoll/HR mode will be able to view all General Ledger accounts and investigate all related PayRoll/HR General Ledger information.
The General Ledger Account ID is used for collating Pay Run figures for period-to-date and year-to-date data. You may take the totals directly into your General Ledger to accrue Payroll/HR for the respective periods. There must be a General Ledger Account ID created for Allowances & Deductions and other Payroll/HR information in the appropriate areas of your General Ledger accounts.
If there are no Payroll/HR General Ledger accounts to view, or you wish to add in a new General Ledger account, you may create new General Ledger Accounts by selecting the New icon.
Please navigate to General Ledger Inquiry for full details on General Ledger functionality.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line. The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate below, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logs in they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.