Tax Scale Overview
SapphireOne supports various tax jurisdictions for Payroll/HR. We establish these as tax rates within a tax jurisdiction. Typically, a tax rate for Payroll/HR is a ratio expressed as a percentage at which a person is taxed. A number of similar tax rates are merged together into a tax scale. For PayRoll/HR this is personal taxation.
SapphireOne Tax Scales represent a percentage turned into a formula (y = ax – b). The purpose of the Tax Scale function is to give SapphireOne users the ability to easily import various tax rates and automatically apply the tax rates to employees based on the tax scale.
Each financial year a new set of tax rates and scales can be released by Taxation Offices worldwide. The appropriate Tax Scales must be imported into SapphireOne before any PayRuns are completed for the NEW financial year.
When a Payrun is executed SapphireOne will look for the most recent set of Tax Scales and apply those for the Payrun. If the current Financial years Tax Scales have not been imported, SapphireOne will use last years Tax Scales which may be incorrect if updates have not been made.
As each year’s Tax Scales are imported the old Tax Scales should be deleted. Select the Date From column heading to sort by Date and the list will be sorted accordingly. This will enable a simple bulk select of the Tax scales to be removed by highlighting the scales and selecting the Delete button.
You may also create your own custom Tax Scales for different countries by selecting the New button and creating new Tax Scales as outlined below.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate below, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logs in they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
Tax Scale Area
- Date Active From – Enter the date that the Tax Scale is active from.
- Scale – Enter the ID used to refer to this specific Tax Scale.
Any notes that are required may be entered here. You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line. The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
The Rates Area gives you the ability to enter your own custom Tax Rates for your selected tax jurisdiction. Select the + icon to add a new tax rate, and the – icon to remove the Tax Rate when no longer required.
To enter a flat tax rate, use 0 for dollar and enter the percentage as cents in a dollar, i.e. 48% is 0.48.
Please note that the amounts entered into the Tax Rate are on a weekly basis.
How to Import Tax Scales into SapphireOne
To import Tax Scales into SapphireOne, navigate to Utilities > Utilities > Sapphire Functions.
From there you may select the PayRoll/HR tab, and then select ‘ImportTaxRates TCP’ to automatically import Tax Scales directly from SapphireOne FTP server.
You may also select ‘ImportTaxRatesText‘ to manually import the Tax Scales from a text file.
Select OK to complete the process.