Money Payment Overview
The Money Payment screen is the last item on the Accounts Payable’s ‘Data Entry’ drop-down menu. Money Payment can be used when Vendor details are not required or available for entry into the transaction, and allows the user to process paid income directly using the Order or Receipt number.
The Money Payment data entry screen is very similar to the Money Receipt function in Accounts Receivables. Money Payment does not have provision for the entry of any Vendor information – only Order and Receipt numbers are entered within this data entry screen.
Selection of the relevant Bank account will determine what type of payment is used. For example, Cheque, Credit Card or Cash accounts which are set up in the General Ledger.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
Transaction Area in Money Payment
There are no Vendor details for a Money Payment, so we immediately start with entering the Invoice number as seen below:
- Invoice No. – Enter the Invoice Number (External Reference Number in lists).
- Payment No. – This number is entered automatically by SapphireOne. This may be altered by the user if required. (Internal Reference number in lists).
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date . To select an alternative date, click on the underlined ‘Date In’ for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax in the local currency. If the Bank account used is in an FX currency of some type, SapphireOne will automatically create the Money Payment in the FX currency of the Bank account as selected.
- Paid From – The default General Ledger bank account will automatically be displayed. To select an alternative bank account, type in the code or use the Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option for a list of other bank accounts.
- Payee – A text field to enter any payee details.
- Memo – Enter any data.
- Payment Finalised – Tick if a payment of cash has been processed for this transaction.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Money Payment.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
Documents Area within Document Management System (DMS)
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
Notes Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
History Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button . When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
Links Area within Document Management System (DMS)
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Updating a Document within Document Management
The procedure for updating a document is as follows.
- When the update button is selected the user will be asked to confirm they would like to import a new version.
- Upon confirmation the user will then be asked to choose the updated document to open.
- Upon selection a secondary dialogue will prompt the user for the entry of an alphanumeric value for the new version.
- Select OK.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Document Control within Document Management
As an example, we have an inventory item with documents attached (installation instructions and a packing checklist amongst others). We add this inventory item to a sales order, manufacture, ship, completely finish the job. One year later we might have a revision of this inventory item along with all the Documents (DMS). Understandably, we don’t want to have to make a whole new inventory item for the revision, just update the DMS that are attached. We update the inventory item with all the new documents, ready for the next sale. When we refer back to the original completed Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice, we will we see the documentation as it was when the Job Project, Sales Client Invoice or Job Projects Client Invoice was completed, or the documents as they are now. In the example above where we have elected to produce an Order Client Invoice (OCI) with the current installation instructions and packing checklist. This will automatically flow into the finished Sales Client Invoice once the OCI has been delivered.
In the example above we have both the current and historical documents attached. As a SapphireOne user has the ability to edit the list and if they choose not to store the historical document and simply select the Minus button and they can delete the historical document. We also have the ability to modify the existing dociument keeping a log file of each and every time the document has been revised.
SapphireOne’s implementation of both Dictation (MacOS) and Speech to Text (Windows) is a game changer for data entry. Any data entry field you can type into using a keyboard can use this feature.
You can also use this functionality on all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. For example, the user is in a Contact within a Client. They may have made a phone call to that particular client using the Softphone technology. Consequently, this will automatically date and time stamp both the contact and the phone number you called.
As soon as the call is completed, the user has the ability to use Speech to Text (Windows) or Dictation (MacOS). They can dictate into the memo field of the CRM contact, adding as much description as they require.
Dictation and Speech to Text Procedure
This functionality applies across every single Data Entry screen. For example, the SapphireOne user is entering a Vendor Invoice (VI). Additionally, you may want to add a memo within the Vendor Invoice (VI). The user can utilise the tool and simply dictate the memo.
Another example is if the user wants to add additional lines to the General Ledger account, within each General Ledger account. When the user is completing data entry using a General Ledger, there’s always a unique memo field for each GL account line. The user can then utilise this feature to quickly add the information they need to add. Alternatively, you may have an interview with an employee. After the interview process is completed, the user can then make notes about the employee.
Speech to Text or Dictation is an extremely powerful tool. It is something that we at SapphireOne, as well as our clients, utilise daily. It is a massive timesaver.
Information Tab Area in Money Payment
The Money Payment Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The five Information Tabs for this type of transaction are:
- Bank – This tab displays details about the Bank account that has been selected.
- Controls – This tab lists the details of when the transaction was entered, created, posted and by whom. It shows the % that has been allocated, if it has been modified and by whom, and any errors and discounts used.
- GL – This tab displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the receipt.
- Transaction – This tab displays the last 20 transactions.
- Error Code – Error information is displayed under the Controls Tab. Additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is linked to the relevant documentation. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction. For example, a WF error is Workflow error.
Standing Transactions Area in Money Payment
Standing Transactions are used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the transaction is to be created for each period. A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to be created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Standing Transactions will only be created if the previous periods Standing Transactions have been posted.
If the Stop Date is set as 00/00/00 the standing transaction will continue to be automatically created by SapphireOne until the user deletes it.
The Money Payment Destination area is where the lines are stored that go to make up this transaction. Depending on the transaction, this can be from a single line in accounts mode to a hundred or more in Inventory mode. How to enter details in the Destination area:
All of the lines in the Destination area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines. From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
- Account – Account is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Net Amount – Type in the Net Amount. This is the amount minus tax or TAB though and enter in Total Amount. SapphireOne will either forward or reverse calculate the Net or Total amount as last entered. It will also automatically calculate the tax to be applied.
- Tax Code – Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] options to search for the appropriate Tax Code or accept the default code. % field will automatically populate with the appropriate tax percentage based on the tax code selected and under normal circumstances this should NOT be altered. If you would like to change the tax code, simply over-type it. The Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- Go to Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and select ‘Utilities’.
- In the top tool bar under Controls select ‘Company’.
- Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner.
- Select ‘Periods & Taxes’ to set up the Tax Codes.
- Amount – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field with the appropriate tax amount based on the tax amount selected.
- Total – If the User has entered in the Net Amount, SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field of the total amount based on the amount and tax amount.
- Project – The project data entry field and the User can use the Wildcard search function option to search for the Project ID. A retention can be set by the project, which will automatically apply a retention. The percentage retained is displayed, and this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required. If retention’s are enabled in master defaults.
- Project Name – Once the Project ID is selected, SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically populate this field with the Project Name.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Transaction List – All of the lines in the transaction are displayed here. It is a convenient list which displays only the basic details of each transaction. You cannot edit from this list. To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area- select the line, the details will then be displayed for you to view or modify in the other relevant areas.
Transaction Footer Area
The Money Payment Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of critical details in the transaction. This includes information such as:
- Sequence – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – SapphireOne automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the client invoice that have been entered at any given time.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. For this type of transaction the Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this Money Payment with a tag. To add a new Tag category, type the name of new tag into the tag box on the screen and then hit the tab key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm. Alternatively, if you wish to remove a Tag from the list, simply select the drop-down menu and click on the name of the Tag you wish to remove whilst simultaneously holding down the Command (MacOS) or Control (Windows) key. Then select ‘Yes’ from the pop-up window to confirm the deletion from your current list.
Note that a tag with the name of HOLD is built into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- Initially all of the tag menus are blank. This means that the user is able to create customised tag drop down menus as required.
- These drop-down menus are created by entering an item that is not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select the tag that you want to remove. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.