Allocation Inquiry Overview
The SapphireOne Allocation Inquiry data entry screen allocates transactions for Open Item Clients against their unallocated respective transactions. The Allocation Inquiry screen is very similar to the Transaction Inquiry screen, however this function only displays the records that have not yet been fully allocated.
Normally when a transaction is created, the selected, and SapphireOne Accounting Software determines that an allocation should be made, it will immediately display the allocation screen limited to the Client for whom the transaction has been actioned against. The Allocation Inquiry screen is usually used to make an immediate allocation for the Client.
The main purpose of the Allocation Inquiry screen is to allocate transactions for Open Item Clients against their respective transactions that have not yet had an allocation made against them, e.g. a Receipt against the appropriate Invoice.
By default, when this function is selected, any transactions for all Clients that SapphireOne determines have not been fully allocated will be displayed.
How to Search for Allocated Transactions in the Allocation Inquiry Screen
If the user wants to check on a transaction that has already had an allocation made against it, or wants to un-allocate an un-posted transaction, they will have to tell SapphireOne to display all transactions with Allocations.
There are two ways to do so:
1. Use (Command F) keyboard shortcut to display the ‘find’ pop-up and search for the transaction manually. By default SapphireOne will display the find pop-up with the ‘All Records’ display option already selected.
2. Alternatively, select the ‘Options’ menu on the main toolbar and select ‘Find’.
In both cases, you then have the option to search transactions that are ‘Allocated Less Than 100%’ or to search all transactions from ‘All Records’.
How to Allocate a Transaction
- Firstly, highlight a transaction from your list of transactions.
- Then go to the main toolbar and select the arrow just to the right of the Tools icon. The Tools drop-down menu will be displayed, and you can select the very first option ‘Allocation’. Selecting the icon allows the Allocation Screen to appear as a pop-up screen.
The Allocation Screen window allows the allocation of the selected receipts to any other transaction for the selected Client.
To allocate amounts, you have the two below options:
- Manually select each line in turn and allocate them. This is done by clicking any anywhere in the line with the mouse.
- Select the ‘Apply To’ drop-down menu option from the Activity area and get SapphireOne Accounting Software to automatically allocate based on the selection made from the drop-down menu.
The Allocation Screen Has Five Areas
The Allocation Screen is split into four screen areas which have been outlined below. These include:
1. The Transaction area contains basic details about the Client that the Allocation is being made for. The amount left to be allocated Remainder, and the Total Allocated so far are both displayed on the right hand side.
2. The Position area displays the the Remainder that is still available for allocation and the Total Allocated amount allocated so far.
3. The Allocation Lines area displays the lines that are available for allocation. This may change with a selection made from the activity area. The drop-down menu to the right-hand end of the Allocation Lines heading has two options. By default it is set at All. Display All and previously applied discounts. If the second option is selected, ‘Discount only the Current discounts will be displayed.
4. The Activity area has four drop-down menus, a check box and a button for the management of discounts. These drop-down menus in the Activity area enable the performing of certain activities. From each menu, you make your selection. Below is a brief description of what each of these options offer.
Activity Area ‘Apply To’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Apply To’ menu is the first drop-down menu in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu manages the manner in which the allocation is applied to transactions. The options on the Apply To menu are as follows:
|Bottom Up:||This spreads the transaction to be allocated from the Bottom Transaction Upwards fully allocating until there is no more to allocate.|
|Top Down:||This spreads the transaction to be allocated from the Top Transaction Downwards fully allocating until there is no more to allocate.|
|Same Amount:||This searches for transaction of the same Value.|
|Same Internal Reference:||This searches for the transaction with the same Internal Reference Nº.|
|Run No:||This allows you to search for transactions by the Run Number. A dialog screen will then ask you to enter the run number.|
Activity Area ‘Look At’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Look At’ menu is the second drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This option enables you to look at the currently selected transaction.
|Transaction:||This allows you to look at the Client Invoice (CI) of the selected Transaction which is being allocated.|
|Source:||This allows you to look at the Sales Client Invoice (SCI) of the selected Transaction which is being allocated.|
Activity Area ‘Display’ Menu Options
The ‘Display’ menu is the third drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu gives you the ability to display records based on pre-defined criteria.
|Still to be Allocated:||This will display only Transactions that still have Allocations to be made to them.|
|Run No:||This allows you to search for and display Transactions by the Run Number. A dialog screen will allow you to enter the run number.|
|Remove Hold Records:||This removes from the currently displayed screen Transactions that have a Hold status on them. It does NOT remove the hold status from any of the Transactions.|
|Load To Top/O:||This brings up the Query editor so that you may perform a detailed search and find the transaction or transactions that you are looking for.|
Activity Area ‘Actions’ Menu Display Options
The ‘Actions’ menu is the fourth drop-down menu option in the Activity Area of the Allocation screen. This menu allows you to perform certain actions. These include:
|Reload:||This will reset the window to how it was when you first entered it.|
|Split:||This allows you to split a transaction into two parts and is used for cases such as retentions.|
|Retrieve:||This allows a transaction to be brought back to the current list even if it has been 100% allocated and transferred to History.|
|Hold/Release:||This allows Transactions to be placed on hold or released from hold. Note that this does change the Transaction status.|
5. The fifth area of the Allocation screen is the Line Summary area at the bottom of the screen which displays details of the current line that is highlighted.
How to Distribute Allocation Amounts
Begin by selecting and highlighting the required line, and from there you can follow either of the below two options:
1. Once the line is selected, the full amount for the transaction will be immediately allocated.
2. To use the Allocation dialog screen, first select the transaction you wish to allocate, then right mouse click (for both Mac and Windows) and select the button to display the ‘Allocation Dialog’ pop-up, and type in the amount you are allocating.
In both cases if the amount remaining is less than the amount to be allocated, only the remaining balance will be allocated to the transaction.
How to Apply Allocation Discounts
Usually when a Prompt Payment Discount is selected on an invoice, SapphireOne will automatically apply the discount only if payment is made in full within the specified time frame.
If overdue, SapphireOne Accounting Software does not apply the discount and requires you to select the checkbox on the ‘Allocation Amount’ screen to override SapphireOne and apply the discount.
The full discount will then be taken and allocated to the record concerned. If there is a Credit Memo, the Invoice should be recreated for the correct amount and the discount applied.
How to Split a Transaction
This function is part of the Actions Menu within the Activity area of the Allocation screen, as documented above. Selecting the ‘Split’ option allows the user to create retention retained records. The transaction will be split in two, with the second part being a retention record. The split may be entered as a dollar amount or as a percentage.
How to Create an Allocation Inquiry Report
- To create an Allocation Inquiry report, the Vendor Allocation Inquiry screen must first be displayed.
- Next select the Print icon to bring up the print dialog pop-up screen.
- From here you are able to select options to print an Allocation Report. This enables you to print different levels of reports showing the linkage of records to the payment. The Report Type Options are listed below.
Report Type Options
|Transaction||Shows the linked transactions allocated.|
|General Ledger||This shows the linked General Ledger allocations.|
|Invoices:||This shows the linked Invoices being paid.|
|Invoice Lines||This shows the Invoice line item allocations.|
|Wide Invoice Lines||This shows the Invoice line detail and project details.|