Vendor Credit Overview
The Vendor Credit screen is the third item on the Accounts Payable’s ‘Data Entry’ drop-down menu. This screen allows the user to allocate credits to a Vendor and is normally is used when goods are returned to the Vendor.
A Vendor ID is needed for the entry of details and the rest is very similar to all other SapphireOne Vendor Data Entry screens.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter details in the Vendor Credit Transaction area:
- Vendor ID – Enter the Vendor ID.
- Ext Ref – External reference is an additional field to record any reference that the vendor may provide.
- Credit No. – Is a sequentially generated number which you can elect to have a suffix or preference specified in Master Defaults. There is also the option to over type with your unique ID code if required.
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax.
- Date In – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in today’s date.
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. Warranty claims.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Vendor Credit.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Vendor Credit Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. These tabs include:
- Vendor – This Tab displays details about the Vendor ie Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Transaction – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions are used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
The Vendor Credit Destination area is where the lines are stored that go to make up this transaction. Depending on the transaction, this can be from a single line in accounts mode to a hundred or more in Inventory mode.
All of the lines in the Destination area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
How to enter Destination line details:
- Account ID – Is a linked field and the user can simply type part or all of the product name and use the Wildcard search options to find the correct account.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is entered SapphireOne will automatically display the Account Items name.
- Net Amount – Enter in the amount excluding tax.
- Tax Code – These should not normally be altered by the user and are entered by SapphireOne as they are setup elsewhere in SapphireOne. The user can also select a Tax Code from the drop-down menu or enter in manually if required.
- Tax % – SapphireOne will automatically populate this field once the code is selected. To overwrite, simply type in.
- Tax Amount – SapphireOne will automatically calculate the amount of tax in each line in the transaction.
- Total – This displays the line total Including tax. Net Amount and Total are linked fields. The last entered will re-calculate the other.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard search options to search for the Project ID.
- Project Name – Once the Projects ID has been entered SapphireOne will then display the Projects Name.
- % Applied – If a retention amount has been set up in the selected project, this will be displayed here on a line by line basis.
- Notes – May be entered here on a line by line basis.
- Company Button – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
The Vendor Credit Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction. This includes information such as:
- Sequence – SapphireOne Accounting Software automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – SapphireOne automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the client invoice that have been entered at any given time.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. For this type of transaction the Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this Vendor Credit with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.