Accounts – General Ledger – General Ledger Journal
General Ledger Journal Overview
A General Ledger General Ledger Journal is the only item in the General Ledger ‘Data Entry’ menu. A General Ledger Journal is used to make adjustments to General Ledger account balances.
A General Ledger Journal number is automatically allocated by SapphireOne, and the remainder of the data entry process is similar to the Client and Vendor Data Entry screens. This function also has additional drop-down Pages that are identical to those in a Client and Vendor Invoice – Custom, Action, Documents and Workflow.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? symbols. The system will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters K@ the system will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. The system will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
There are five main areas of the General Ledger Journal screen
1. Transaction Area
How to enter General Ledger Journal details in the Transaction area
- Folio Reference – Enter your reference number.
- Journal No. – The sequentially generated number which you can elect to have a suffix or preference specified in Master Defaults.
- There is also the option to over type with your unique ID code if required.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date.
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. reason for General Ledger Journal entry.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to this General Ledger Journal.
The user will note that initially there is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of this area with the words 0 Items after it. The colour of this paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction.
When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction.
Within reason any number of documents may be attached to a transaction!
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop up will be displayed.
Note: While the screenshot below is from Mac, for Windows users the Document List pop up is identical!
There are eight buttons or icons on this Document List pop up.
- When the button is selected the system will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. (The appropriate software must be installed on the local machine or workstation)
- When the button is selected the system display a popup which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. (The new version will still be linked to any transaction’s as was the old version).
- When the Scan button is selected the system will access a scanner and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to this transaction. (The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or workstation).
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected, will delete the currently highlighted transaction or record.
- When the Add button is selected the system will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local machine or workstation.
2. Information Tab Area
The Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
These tabs include:
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Trans. – is tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
3. Standing Transactions Area
How to enter Standing Transactions details
Standing Transactions function may be used to set up recurring transactions, and controls how often the record is to be created for each period.
A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
4. Transaction Destination Area
All of the lines in the Destination area listed here. The list only displays the basic details of each Line.
You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). The system will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
ID data entry filed ready for the user to enter in an ID for the first line in the transaction. (Or add another line to the Destination area).
Alternatively they may use the button to add a new line into the destination area. (Same result as above).
The user may use the button to remove the currently highlighted line in the destination area.
How to enter details in the Destination area
- Account – is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard search options to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, the system will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Tax Code – Tax codes should NOT normally be altered by a user. The system will offer a default tax code and this should be used unless there is a specific reason for not doing so.
- Additional documentation has been added further down this screen, how to manage tax codes!
- Debit – The debit amount to be entered for the General Ledger Journal.
- Credit – The credit amount to be entered for the General Ledger Journal.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the search options to search for the Project ID.
- A retention can be set by the project, which will automatically apply a retention. The percentage retained is displayed, and this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Company – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
The user may accept the default tax or over-type the tax code to alter it. They may also use the wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] options to search for a Code. The % data entry field will automatically populate with the appropriate tax percentage based on the tax code selected.
- These Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- The Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and selecting Utilities mode.
- In the top tool bar under Controls item select Company.
- If necessary Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code for.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Periods and Taxes.
- Then select the Tax code that you want to modify. The is also provision for the addition and deletion of tax codes here.
5. Transaction Footer Area
The Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows you to easily check the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – The system automatically generates a unique sequence number.
- Out of Balance – The system automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this General Ledger Journal transaction with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
How to bulk import General Ledger Journal information (Drag & Drop)
SapphireOne gives you the ability to Bulk important information into a single General Ledger Journal through the Drag & Drop feature.
When creating a new General Ledger Journal Entry, simply:
- Drag & Drop the Excel Spreadsheet in a Text File format, from your computer into Destination lines (.csv or .txt files).
- Nominate the header fields and select the columns you would like to import and Press the ‘Import’ button.
View a demonstration on how to use this feature in the video below.