General Ledger Journal Overview
General Ledger Journal is the only item in the General Ledger ‘Data Entry’ menu. It is mainly used to make adjustments to General Ledger account balances.
The General Ledger Journal number is automatically allocated by SapphireOne Accounting Software, and the remainder of the data entry process is similar to the Client and Vendor Data Entry screens. This function also has additional drop-down Pages that are identical to those in a Client and Vendor Invoice – Custom, Action, Documents and Workflow.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter General Ledger Journal details in the Transaction area:
- Folio Reference – Enter your reference number.
- Journal No. – The sequentially generated number which you can elect to have a suffix or preference specified in Master Defaults.
- There is also the option to over type with your unique ID code if required.
- Date In – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in today’s date.
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne Accounting Software will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. reason for General Ledger Journal entry.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to this General Ledger Journal.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The General Ledger Journal Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed.
The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. These tabs include:
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Trans. – is tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
The General Ledger Journal Standing Transactions function may be used to set up recurring transactions, and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A Standing Transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Transaction Destination Area
How to enter General Ledger Journal details in the Destination area:
- Account – This is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard search options to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, SapphireOne will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Tax Code – Tax codes should NOT normally be altered by a user. SapphireOne will offer a default tax code and this should be used unless there is a specific reason for not doing so.
- Additional documentation has been added further down this screen, how to manage tax codes!
- Debit – The debit amount to be entered for the General Ledger Journal.
- Credit – The credit amount to be entered for the General Ledger Journal.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the search options to search for the Project ID.
- A retention can be set by the project, which will automatically apply a retention. The percentage retained is displayed, and this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Company – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
The user may accept the default tax or over-type the tax code to alter it. They may also use the wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] options to search for a Code. The % data entry field will automatically populate with the appropriate tax percentage based on the tax code selected.
- These Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- The Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and selecting Utilities mode.
- In the top tool bar under Controls item select Company.
- If necessary Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code for.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Periods and Taxes.
- Then select the Tax code that you want to modify. The is also provision for the addition and deletion of tax codes here.
Transaction Footer Area
The General Ledger Journal Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows you to easily check critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a unique sequence number.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this General Ledger Journal transaction with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
How to bulk import General Ledger Journal information (Drag & Drop)
SapphireOne gives you the ability to Bulk important information into a single General Ledger Journal through the Drag & Drop feature. When creating a new General Ledger Journal Entry, simply:
- Drag & Drop the Excel Spreadsheet in a Text File format, from your computer into Destination lines (.csv or .txt files).
- Nominate the header fields and select the columns you would like to import and Press the ‘Import’ button.
View a demonstration on how to use this feature in the video below.