Accounts General Ledger – Journal
A General Ledger Journal is the only item in the General Ledger ‘Data Entry’ menu. A Journal is used to make adjustments to General Ledger accounts.
A Journal number is automatically allocated by SapphireOne, and the remainder of the data entry process is similar to the Client and Vendor Data Entry screens. This function also has additional drop-down Pages that are identical to those in a Client and Vendor Invoice – Custom, Action, Documents and Workflow.
There are five main areas of the Journal screen
1. Transaction Area
How to enter Journal details in the Transaction area
- Folio Reference – Enter your reference number.
- Journal No. – The sequentially generated number which you can elect to have a suffix or preference specified in Master Defaults. There is also the option to over type with your unique ID code if required.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date.
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. reason for journal entry.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to this General Ledger Journal.
Click here to see how to attach documents to the transaction using the paper clip:
- Click on the red paper clip in the top right side of the Transactions area to attach the first document. A pop up document List will be displayed.
- From the pop up Document List select the green (+) button to add a document. Navigate to the documents location on your computer and select it by clicking on the Open button down the bottom of the screen.
- Then click on the green tick on the main toolbar to attach the document. The paperclip will turn green indicating that there is now a document attached.
- If the paper clip is green document/s have already been attached to the transaction. To add more documents click on the green paperclip and follow the exact same procedure as above to attach additional document/s. Remember to save the document list each time by selecting the green tick on the main toolbar.
- To delete a record or document, click on the Green paperclip, then select/highlight the document to be removed and select the Minus (-) button. A pop up will ask for confirmation of the deletion. Green tick on the main toolbar out when you are done.
2. Information Tab Area
The Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
These tabs include:
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Trans. – is tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
3. Standing Transactions Area
How to enter Standing Transactions details
The Standing Transactions function may be used to set up recurring transactions, and controls how often the record is to be created for each period.
A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
Click here to see how to set up Standing Transactions:
- Scheduled – You may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly, Other or None. By default, the system will not set any dates. These must be entered by the user. If you select ‘Other’ you will be asked to specify the period in days.
- Start/Next Date – The date in field at the top is the Start date. Once you select the frequency from the Scheduled drop-down menu, the system automatically creates the next date of your scheduling. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Start/Next Date.
- Stop Date – A pop-up calendar will appear automatically for you to enter in a Stop date as required. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Stop Date.
4. Transaction Destination Area
The Transaction Destination area is where the lines that go to make up this transaction are entered and stored. If the transaction has been saved but is currently unposted, they can be added to, or modified as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut command forward slash (/). The system will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line.
These lines may also be added to by clicking on the green Plus (+) or the green Minus (-) to delete the currently highlighted line.
How to enter details in the Transaction Destination area
- Account – is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, the system will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Tax Code – Tax codes should NOT normally be altered by a user. The system will offer a default tax code and this should be used unless there is a specific reason for not doing so. Additional documentation has been added further down this screen, how to manage tax codes!
- Debit – The debit amount to be entered for the Journal.
- Credit – The credit amount to be entered for the Journal.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. A retention can be set by the project, which will automatically apply a retention. The percentage retained is displayed, and this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Transaction List – All of the lines in the transaction are displayed here. It is a convenient list which displays only the basic details of each transaction. You cannot edit from this list. To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area- select the line, the details will then be displayed for you to view or modify in the other relevant areas.
- Company – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
Click here to see how to Manage Tax Codes:
The user may accept the default tax or over-type the tax code to alter it. They may also use the wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] options to search for a Code. The % data entry field will automatically populate with the appropriate tax percentage based on the tax code selected.
- These Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- The Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and selecting Utilities mode.
- In the top tool bar under Controls item select Company.
- If necessary Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code for.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Periods and Taxes.
- Then select the Tax code that you want to modify. The is also provision for the addition and deletion of tax codes here.
5. Transaction Footer Area
The Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows you to easily check the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – The system automatically generates a sequence number.
- Out of Balance – The system automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this General Ledger Journal transaction with a tag.
Click here to see how to Create, Delete or Manage Tags:
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
Options for the saving of this Transaction:
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00, the Save button, the Green Tick, will activate in the top tool bar allowing the user to save the transaction. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue arrows will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
- Select the Green Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
- When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the green tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
- Click on either of the the Blue Arrows. This will tell the system to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction the system will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
- Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. The system will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.
How to bulk import Journal information (Drag & Drop)
SapphireOne gives you the ability to Bulk important information into a single General Journal through the Drag & Drop feature.
When creating a new Journal Entry, simply:
- Drag & Drop the Excel Spreadsheet in a Text File format, from your computer into Destination lines (.csv or .txt files).
- Nominate the header fields and select the columns you would like to import and Press the ‘Import’ button.
View a demonstration on how to use this feature in the video below.