Vendor Invoice Overview
The Vendor Invoice screen is the second drop-down item on the Accounts Payable’s ‘Data Entry’ menu. The Vendor Invoice (VI) is the function used when entering Vendor Invoices to the General Ledger. By entering a valid Vendor ID, all Vendor details are automatically populated within the screen from the Vendor’s Master File.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? symbols. The system will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters K@ the system will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. The system will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter details in the Vendor Invoice Transaction area:
- Vendor ID – Enter the Vendor ID.
- Invoice No. – Enter the Vendor Invoice Nº.
- Order Number – Enter the Vendor Order Nº if applicable. This is a external reference field that is alpha numeric.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date. To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period heading for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax. If the Vendor is dealing in a foreign currency, the appropriate currency and tax will be displayed. These are set up in the Vendor Master File.
- Due – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the due date according to the Vendors terms which are set up in the Vendor Master File. This may be altered if required by clicking on the underlined Due Date for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Discount – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a discount for the Vendor which are set up in the Vendor’s Master File.
- If there are no terms for a Vendor – the Discount area will appear as 0.00%. Once a Discount has been entered, the amount will be displayed as a percentage in the Discount field.
- How to set up a Client Discount:
- Go to Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Accounts.
- In the top tool bar under Receivables select Client Inquiry.
- Open on the Client you would like to modify.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Terms.
- Enter the Discount Details in the Section provided.
- How to apply a discount the current Invoice only:
- By percentage – Simply type over the new percentage for the discount. SapphireOne will re-calculate the dollar amount.
- By dollar amount – Select the button and manually type in the dollar amount (minus the $ sign) for the discount. SapphireOne will re-calculate the percentage.
- Days – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the number of days for prompt payment discount which are set up in the Vendor’s Master File.
- Memo – Enter any details relating to this transaction.
- Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Vendor Invoice.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected the system will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected the system displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected the system will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected the system will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Vendor Invoice Information area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You may only view information here, not alter it. The Information tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
There are seven main tabs in the Vendor Invoice Information area. These tabs include:
- Vendor – This Tab displays details about the Vendor i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and a Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Trans – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
The Vendor Invoice Standing Transactions area is used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A Standing Transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- The system will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Transaction Destination Area
The Vendor Invoice Destination area is where the lines are stored that go to make up this transaction. Depending on the transaction, this can be from a single line in accounts mode to a hundred or more in Inventory mode.
All of the lines in the Destination area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). The system will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
How to enter details in the Destination area:
- Account – is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard search option to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Code is entered the system will display the Account name.
- Net Amount – Type in the Net Amount. This is the amount minus tax OR TAB though and enter in Total Amount. The system will either forward or reverse calculate the tax as required.
- Tax Code – These should not normally be altered by the user and are entered by the system as they are setup elsewhere in the system. The user can also select a Tax Code from the drop-down menu or enter in manually if required. If you would like to change the tax code, simply over-type. The Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- The Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Utilities.
- From the main tool bar under Controls select Company.
- Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner.
- Select ‘Periods & Taxes’ to set up the Tax Codes.
- Amount – The system will automatically populate this field with the appropriate tax amount based on the tax amount selected.
- Total – If the User has entered in the Net Amount, the system will automatically populate this field of the total amount based on the amount and tax amount.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard search options to search for the Project ID.
- Project Name – Once the Project ID is selected, the system will automatically populate this field with the Project Name.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Company – This button is only visible if you have multiple companies set up in your SapphireOne data file. It will direct you to a new screen where you can manage and allocate percentages or fixed amounts across the various companies.
Transaction Footer Area
The Vendor Invoice Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – The system automatically generates a unique sequence number.
- Batch – The system automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the client invoice that have been entered at any given time.
- Out of Balance – The system automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this Vendor Invoice with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell the system to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction the system will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. The system will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.