For ease and convenience General Ledger accounts can be divided into different classes. You have the ability with SapphireOne class structures to consolidate the financial reporting of many General Ledger accounts into a single class, dramatically simplifying your financial reporting. A class will automatically create the default for the income statement P&L and Balance Sheet. Examples of different classes can include Class, Group and Report categories i.e. Income, Gross Profit and Income Statement.
Class Inquiry Overview
The SapphireOne General Ledger Class Inquiry screen drives the position of General Ledger accounts on financial reports and allow the user to group them as applicable to the business.
This expands the sorting or grouping of the data in the production of reports generated from SapphireOne, and can be used for analysis and printing purposes. For example, Cost of Sales is a Class and may consist of Opening Stock, Purchases, Closing Stock, Freight and On Costs.
The screenshot above shows a complete list of Classes set up in the SapphireOne Bondi Blue Demonstration data file.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected the system will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
How to Create a New Class
SapphireOne recommends working out a set of Classes prior to entering any Ledger accounts so that each area of the Ledger will relate correctly to the others.
To create a new class, simply go to the main toolbar and select the icon, or type shortcut ‘command/ctrl N’, and enter your new class details. To save a completed class go to the main toolbar and select the save icon.
General Ledger Class Inquiry Details Page
GL Class Area
- ID and Name – Enter a unique ID and a Name for the Class.
- Company – SapphireOne will enter the company that the user is currently logged into.
- Preferred Side – Using the radio buttons select the preferred side of the ledger that this account is to be on, Debit or Credit.
- Project Settings – If required select the Project Settings from the drop down menu. If linking to a project is not required move directly to the next area the Reporting Groups area.
Reporting Groups Area
This area allows you to position your class, and your account within the class, inside your financial reporting. This follows the accounting standard for financial reports. There are three main criteria driving this process which include Class, Group and Report.
Select your reporting position from Class, Group and Report:
Class – Select from Income, Cost of Goods, Other Income, Expenses, Appropriation, Current Assets, Bank Assets, Non-Current Assets, Current Liabilities, Non-Current Liabilities, Bank Liabilities, Equity.
Group – Select from Gross Profit, Operating Profit, Net Profit, Total Assets, Total Liabilities, Total Equity
Report – Select from Income Statement, Balance Sheet
Any Classes required for Custom class reports from your General Ledger are created here. You will need to create the Class before linking it from the second More Details Page in a General Ledger Inquiry.
You can use the Time and Date stamp to add the Time and date and make notes about your action. You can also highlight the text in the notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
General Ledger Class Inquiry Budgets Page
The Budgets Page display the accumulated budgets from all General Ledger accounts assigned to this class.