Workbook – General – Contacts
When Contacts is first selected from the drop down menu SapphireOne displays a complete list of contacts from all areas of the SapphireOne system.
- When Contacts is accessed here in Workbook mode or from the Inquiry Palette, all Contacts in SapphireOne with a status of Active will be listed as may seen in the screenshot below.
- It should be noted that contacts when accessed here in a Contact Inquiry and from the Palette, the Main tool bar operates as normal. The user simply highlights a contact and uses, Look , Modify or New from the main toolbar. When changes are to be Saved use the icon on the main tool bar as well.
- Highlighting a contact and selecting the delete button on the main toolbar will remove the selected contact.
- Selecting the add button on the main toolbar will start the creation of a new contact.
While the screens are the same there are a number of types of contacts, there is one which operates slightly differently to the rest. For example, CLLink Client, VELink Vendor and PRLink for a Project, The first 2 letters indicating where it is from in SapphireOne and the Link part indicating indicating that they are a normal Contact Link.
However, any contact that is created from the Address Page of a Client or Vendor inquiry It will have the Type set as XXAddress. The XX replacing the first two letters, the important part being Address indicating that it is not a normal contact link but an Address link. The difference is in the Lookup data entry field.
Differences in the Lists of Contacts
When the Details Page is displayed from a Client Inquiry, the Contacts area will only list the contacts for the selected Client. And for a Vendor only contacts for the currently selected Vendor will be listed in the Contacts area.
When Contacts is accessed using the the Contacts function from either here in Workbook Mode or from the Inquiry Palette all contacts in SapphireOne are listed as may be seen in the screenshot below.
These differences are apparent when a new contact is created here in Workbook Mode or from the Inquiry Palette where virtually all data entry fields are blank.
Whereas if a new contact is created from a Client or Vendor inquiry for example, a number of the data entry fields are filled in for you as well as some you are not aware of such as the linking to the Client, Vendor or Address . (Lookup Details area).
- ID – This is a number automatically entered by SapphireOne. When creating transactions for Clients or Vendors the first contact in the respective client list will be entered in the Contact field as a number with the name of the Contact following. If a different contact is to be used, entering the @ symbol will display a pick list of all the contacts for that Client or Vendor enabling a selection to be made. (This is linked with the Lookup data entry field just below).
- Mailout Checkbox – Select if this contact is to receive mail outs.
- Active Checkbox – will automatically be selected for a new contact. If a contact is not used deselect it.
- Paperclip – Documents may be linked to a specific contact within either a Client or Vendor record.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
- Name – The normal entry of First name and Surname are entered here.
- Position – This is a user created drop down menu.
- Lookup – This is linked to the data entry field.
- Area – This is a user created drop down menu.
All contacts for any function such as a Client or Vendor are assigned a number as seen on the previous page. If a name such as Ken is entered here, a search may then be done for contact number of 000095 or Ken. SapphireOne in both cases will find the same contact because to it 000095 and Ken is the same contact. Some thought will have to be given to exactly what is the be entered into the lookup field.
- Look Up – Any contact created in the Address Page of a Client or Vendor must have an entry in this field, so as to display it in the first column of the pick list when the button is selected, when changing the address in a transaction. The pick list displays the data entered into the Lookup field in the first column, followed by the address in the second column.
- Code – data entry field is another field which can be manually set and used for extra reporting, e.g., the area the contact works in, Admin, Sales etc.
- The fields Company, Rep, Class and Link are all entered from information in the Client or Vendor master records. If the Contact is created here by accessing the Inquiry Palette they will all have to be entered manually.
- Order – Entering a number in the field specifies where the contact will be in the contact list on the Client or Vendor inquiry screen number 1 being at the top of the list. If you already have a list of contacts, you will have to check the list first then make a decision as to where in the list you want this any new contacts placed. Also SapphireOne will by default enter the contact with the lowest Order number into any transactions for that Client or Vendor.
- Provision is made for the entry of both a Postal and a Physical address. Using the arrow will copy the Postal address details to the Physical address fields.
Lookup Details area
- Of particular interest, here is the Type data entered by SapphireOne. This contact was created while modifying a Client so SapphireOne has automatically set as the Type as CLLink. (CL = Client and Link = link).
Phone Details area
- The details in this area self-explanatory. The headings in the left hand columns are fixed and cannot be altered. However, the heading in the right hand column may be altered as required by the user. To do these go to: Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System. It is in the Contact Phone Titles area on the right hand side.
- Anywhere in SapphireOne that you see this icon next to a telephone number means that if you have the appropriate software installed, SapphireOne will dial the number. The icon will turn red indicating that a call is in progress. Double click on the red icon to hang up the call.
- This area can be used to make permanent notes or reminders when you deal with Contacts. When you click on the button a time stamp will be created at the beginning of the notes section (Command ) places it at the end, and you can input the note straight away.
- Selecting the button will make the notes screen maximise. You can click the same button again to minimise the notes the same as with the list of contacts..
As mentioned at the beginning of the section on contacts the Page Menu below the mode menu in the top left hand corner of the screen has additional items on it.
- Details: The screen just described.
- Actions: Is documented later in this manual and may be accessed from individual functions or directly from the Inquiries Palette.
- Custom: This Page seen below, allows you to set a number of custom fields, these include fields for pictures, numbers and alphanumeric characters.