Tax Scale Overview
SapphireOne supports various tax jurisdictions for Payroll/HR. We establish these as tax rates within a tax jurisdiction. Typically, a tax rate for Payroll/HR is a ratio expressed as a percentage at which a person is taxed. A number of similar tax rates are merged together into a tax scale. For PayRoll/HR this is personal taxation.
SapphireOne Tax Scales represent a percentage turned into a formula (y = ax – b). The purpose of the Tax Scale function is to give SapphireOne users the ability to easily import various tax rates and automatically apply the tax rates to employees based on the tax scale.
As each year’s Tax Scales are imported the old Tax Scales should be deleted. Select the Date From column heading to sort by Date and the list will be sorted accordingly. This will enable a simple bulk select of the Tax scales to be removed by highlighting the scales and selecting the Delete button.
You may also create your own custom Tax Scales for different countries by selecting the New button and creating new Tax Scales as outlined below.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on screen. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected the system will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
Tax Scale Area
- Date Active From – Enter the date that the Tax Scale is active from.
- Scale – Enter the ID used to refer to this specific Tax Scale.
Any notes that are required may be entered here. You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
The Rates Area gives you the ability to enter your own custom Tax Rates for your selected tax jurisdiction. Select the + icon to add a new tax rate, and the – icon to remove the Tax Rate when no longer required.
To enter a flat tax rate, use 0 for dollar and enter the percentage as cents in a dollar, i.e. 48% is 0.48.
How to Import Tax Scales into SapphireOne
To import Tax Scales into SapphireOne, navigate to Utilities > Utilities > Sapphire Functions.
From there you may select the PayRoll/HR tab, and then select ‘ImportTaxRates TCP’ to automatically import Tax Scales directly from SapphireOne FTP server.
You may also select ‘ImportTaxRatesText‘ to manually import the Tax Scales from a text file.
Select OK to complete the process.