Resource Inquiry Overview
SapphireOne Resource Inquiry screen displays a list of all Resource based records. A Resource may be anything that is used to achieve the completion of a Job Project and has a costing value.
A resource may include Employees, Machinery or anything that requires tracking for Job Projects. The Resource then has Activities that they perform. For example, an Employee may perform activities such as Installations, Professional Fees, Auditing etc. Machinery on the other hand will perform different activities.
To create a new Resource, click onto the New record icon on the main Toolbar. To Modify or Look at existing records select the record first then select the required icon on the Main Toolbar. The sub-classification of Resources is through Activities which are defined in the Details Page of a Resource Inquiry.
While the deletion of a Resource is not permitted, the Resource may be made Inactive by selecting the Inactive checkbox in the Details Page. The Resource will then not appear in any lists unless specifically asked for.
To find inactive Resources, go to the Options menu and then select the Find option at the top of the drop-down menu. When the Find pop up is on screen from the top drop-down menu select the All Records option.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on page. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of clients has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
How to Print Resource Inquiry Reports
Selecting the Print icon on the main toolbar brings up a print dialog box which allows the user to create various reports based on information in the data file.
- Print Destination – Allows the user to select between Printer, creating a Sapphire Custom Report, Quick Report or Labels.
- Report Type – The user may select the type of report that they want to print.
- The Report Sort Order – Allows the user to sort data in different sequences and criteria while still using the same fundamental report format. The user can sort by Current Sort, by ID and by Class.
Resource Inquiry Details Page
The Resource Inquiry Details Page below displays information about the selected Resource.
Main Information Area
- Resource ID – Enter in a unique ID for the resource.
- Name – Enter in a name for the resource.
- Company – SapphireOne will enter the company that the user is logged into when creating this Resource record.
- Class – If required, select the Class that this Resource is to be linked to. Please note that a Resource Class is set up through the Resource Class Inquiry screen. These classes should be set up before Resources are created so that the Resources here may be linked to them as you go.
- General Ledger – Enter the General Ledger account that this Resource is to be linked to.
- Employee ID – Enter the Employees ID. The Resource ID and Employee ID can be the same.
- Default Payroll Allowance – The default Payroll allowance should be entered here with the provisions below.
- Paperclip – Documents may be stored within this Resource by selecting the Paperclip.
- Inactive – When a new resource is created this checkbox is not selected. If the resource is not needed further, this Inactive checkbox may be selected and the resource will not be listed in any lists or transaction from this point on.
- Staff Member – There is also a checkbox to mark if this Resource is also an employee.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of the System Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button. When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
The History area displays a summarised history of all costs and billings against this Resource to date. This includes Period Hours, Period Cost, Period Billing, TTD Hours, TTD Cost and TTD Billing.
Any notes that are required for this class may be entered here. You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
The Rates area is a complete list of Activities for the selected Resource, and displays internal costing and billing information such as the Standard Charge Rate and Standard Cost.
- Default Activity – The Default activity must be selected after all activities have been entered for the resource. The data entry field has a light blue background so it is searchable and will only search for activities that have already been entered for the Resource. When a time sheet is raised, SapphireOne will enter this Default Activity, each and every time a timesheet is created. If the standard or Default Activity is not the one required when this Resource is used in a timesheet, simply enter any other Activity code listed as required into the Timesheet. The same applies when the one Resource performs several Activities. Enter additional lines into the line entry area with the associated Activity ID codes.
- Cost FX – Data entry into this field may only be done when a new activity is being created. The FX currency type, for example USD, is entered and once the save button is selected this FX data entry field will be locked.
From now on SapphireOne will take the resource cost as FX, and it will then flow directly through to PayRoll/HR.
- Code – Enter the activity ID or code.
- Description – SapphireOne will enter the name or description from the Activity as entered.
- Allowance – Enter in the allowance if required. This data entry field is directly linked to the allowances in PayRoll/HR.
- Cost / Unit – SapphireOne will enter the cost as entered to the selected activity. This may be altered if required.
- Charge / Unit – SapphireOne will enter the Charge cost as entered into the activity. This may be altered as required.
- Charge FX – If the activity is being processed using an FX currency the charge will be displayed in that FX currency here.
- Units – SapphireOne will display the units as set up in the activity. i.e. Hours, Days, Weeks, Minutes etc.
- There is a checkbox at the end of each activity line and the user will note that it is not selected. This is SapphireOne default and when time sheets are imported into a pay slip SapphireOne will use the pay rates as set up in an Employee Inquiry.
- Use Activities from Inventory List – As documented above the one resource may perform several activities. There are two methods of setting this up and these are selected with the Use Activities from Inventory List checkbox.
- When it is unticked, and the user is entering a time sheet, the only items to be displayed when a selection is being made for the activity will be limited to the activities as entered into this resource inquiry.
- Once the Use Activities from Inventory list has been selected, SapphireOne will then display all inventory items that have their type set as Activity enabling a selection to be made from all items listed as activities in the Inventory.
- Transfer – When any of the Transfer checkboxes are selected, SapphireOne will use the Cost/Unit entered into this resource Inquiry as the actual pay rate, and use the pay rate when calculating the working transaction in SapphireOne PayRoll/HR. Also note that this may be done on an activity by activity basis.
Resource Inquiry Times Page
This screen displays a list of Activities that have been allocated to this Resource. The basic details for each Activity are displayed in a single line and are for viewing data already entered. Select and double click the line to view additional details.
The screen will alter slightly as a Resource based Time sheet will be different to a Job Project based time sheet.
This area displays the Resource ID and the Type.
- Period – This area displays the accounting Period number.
- Date In – This area displays the Date In of the entry.
- Ref – This displays the reference number for this transaction.
- Total – This displays the total dollar amount for this transaction.
- Resource / Project – This displays a a combination of the resource with the Job Project ID directly under it.
- Qty – This displays the quantity of resources.
- Rate – This displays the billable rate of the resource.
- Cost – This displays the actual cost of the resource.
- Amount – This displays the total amount of the resource.
- Activity – This displays the activity linked to this resource.
- Client Allocation – Any Client allocations are displayed here.
- Vendor Allocation – Any Vendor allocations are displayed here.
- Client Write Off – Any Client Write Offs are displayed here.
- Vendor Write Off – Any Vendor Write Offs are displayed here.
- Sequence – This displays the uniquely generated SapphireOne sequence number.
Resource Inquiry Custom Page
For the existing default names as entered by SapphireOne, the first number indicates the order that it is in the group, and the second number denotes how long the actual data entry field is for the entry of user data. For example, ASAlpha_1_20 denotes that the Data Entry Field is the 1st data entry field in the group, and it will allow up to 20 characters. ASAlpha_8_80 denotes that is is the 8th data entry field in the group with a maxim limit of 80 Characters.
Resource Inquiry Action Page
The Action Page is a seperate table that can be added to the major record and transaction tables. This includes actionable items such as Calendar Reminders, Meeting Invites, Alarms, Emails, To-Do Lists, General Notes, Private Notes, Meeting Notes with Date and Time, Start and Finish stamps plus All Day Notifications. The Action Page can be viewed as the equivalent to CRM functionality for every major Table within SapphireOne Accounting Software.
You can Add or Delete Actions . If you double click on an existing Action it will zoom in ready to modify.
- Diary Area
- Sequence – SapphireOne will automatically enter in a unique sequence number.
- Title – Enter in a title for this action.
- Type – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in a type. This will then form a permanent type within the drop-down.
- Action – Use the user customisable drop down menu to enter in an Action. This will then form a permanent action within the drop-down.
- User – SapphireOne will enter in the user who is creating this action although this may be altered if required.
- Private – If this check box is selected SapphireOne will only allow the User as entered to view or modify this action.
- Status – The user has three options.
- Open – Action is open and active.
- Hold – Action is active but no alarms will be active.
- Completed – Action is now Inactive and will not be displayed in any list of actions.
- Tag – A tag may be attached to an action. This will then form a permanent tag within the drop-down.
- Link – When created from a function a link to the function is automatically created by SapphireOne.
- Check List area – A user created check list for creating actions. A check box is provided so that a user can selected them off as they progress.
- Dates and Times Area:
- Start/Finish – You can set an action to have a Start and a Finish time, or select the check box for an all Day option.
- Completed – Once an action has a completed date entered it will no longer be active and displayed in any lists of actions.
- Alarm Area – An alarm can be set to email someone at a certain date and time, or send your user a reminder and/or email if the email has been entered.
- Recurring Area – If necessary the alarm may be set to at set periods established by the Type drop down menu. The recurring period may also be set by date if required.
- Notes Area – You can select the Green clock icon to add Time and Date stamps to your notes. You can also highlight the text in the Notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
- Invite Attendees Area – You can invite multiple attendees to your event and keep track of if they have accepted or rejected your invite. These attendees can be notified by email if the email has been entered.
Resource Inquiry Documents Page
The Documents Page is used to store and record documents and information relating to data entry, transactions and master tables.
Any type of document can be attached to the Documents area. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files and more.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document or file from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
Please note that when creating a new record in SapphireOne, you are unable to attach a document until the record has an entered ID.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. (The appropriate software must be installed on the local computer or device).
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a popup which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. (The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version).
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to this transaction. (The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local computer, device or network).
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted transaction or record.
- When the Add button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer or device.
The Title and Type of the document are displayed in the Details Area.
Last Modified Area
The documents area keeps a record of the Time and Date of when the document was last modified in addition to who initially added it.
Resource Inquiry Pictures Page
The Digital Assets Page allows the user to attach unlimited media to any major table record in SapphireOne.
Selecting the Digital Assets option from the Page menu within a major table record will display a list of digital assets currently in the data file.
This screen and all ensuing screens will overlay any current screen displayed in your major table. The feature allows you to attach digital assets to your master record.
- To add a picture simply select the button.
- To delete a picture select the button.