Order Vendor Invoice Overview
The Order Vendor Invoice screen is the first item in the Job Projects Costs Data Entry menu. The Order Vendor Invoice is a formal order for goods and services you provide to your Vendor in order to complete a transaction. It is also where SapphireOne users formalise payment and shipping terms.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? symbols. The system will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters K@ the system will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. The system will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter information in the Order Vendor Invoice details area:
- Vendor ID – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard ( @ or ? ) options to replace part of the ID to search for the Vendor ID.
- Contact – Select the default contact person or select the contact person you wish to attach to this vendor invoice.
- Address – This field is the mailing address which automatically populates from the vendor record.
- Delivery address from defaults – If you have alternative delivery addresses saved in the vendor address page you can select them from a drop-down list.
- Copy Mailing address to the delivery address – Copy the mailing address to the delivery address field by using the icon.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Order Vendor Invoice.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected the system will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected the system displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected the system will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected the system will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Order Vendor Invoice Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The tabs for this type of transaction include as follows:
- Vendor – Displays Vendor details including ABN, Total Owing, Credit Remaining, Owing + Un-posted, Warning Message, Turnover, Credit terms, Product, Last Transaction Date etc.
- Invoices – Displays a list of recent purchase invoices. A purchase invoice can be copied by using right click and selecting ‘Copy Transaction’. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse clicking you can Copy Invoice, Copy Lines and Open in Inquiry which will open the selected transaction in the new inquiry screen.
- Lines – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays history of the Inventory item. Included in each transaction is the Qty ordered and Amount, Sequence N°, any Discount Code and percentage allocated, Date and Type.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default Vendor.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
- Allocation – This Tab displays any allocation of the Invoice to a Vendor Payment or Credit.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
The Order Vendor Invoice Tracking Details area stores tracking details relating to the current Date, Delivery Date, Invoice No, Sales Rep and Carrier.
How to enter information in the Order Vendor Invoice Tracking Details area:
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on the system (usually the system date).
- Arrival – When converted from an Order Vendor Invoice (OVI) to a Vendor Purchase (PVI), the Arrival Date will automatically become the Date In for the PVI.
- Order No. – External reference number.
- Invoice No. – Internal reference number and automatically generated.
- Rep ID – Sales representative ID.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
- Bay Swap – This button allows the user in warehouse management to swap bays of where the Inventory is located.
- ETA – This button allows the user to update the Estimated Time of Arrival, ETA, on an individual line basis when the delivery date is the same as the arrival date. This will be automatically reflected in the Arrival field. A pop-up ETA Mass Update screen will be displayed.
Transaction Lines Area
As you enter a transaction, a summary of the transaction appears in a single line. You can view or modify a line by selecting it, then proceed to view or modify in the data entry area above.
How to enter information in the Order Vendor Invoice Transaction Lines area:
- Inventory – Is a linked field and the user can use the Wildcard ( @ or ? ) options, to replace part of the Inventory ID to search for the correct ID.
- Inventory Details – Once the ID is entered the system will display the Inventory name.
- Ordered – Enter the quantity being ordered.
- B/O – If necessary, enter the quantity to be back ordered. For you to be able to access the back order function, stock type will need to be set to Normal.
- Arrival – This is the number ordered minus the number on back ordered. Ordered minus B/O.
- Rate – This is the Line Item default rate. You can enter in a new rate but note this is the rate excluding tax.
- Discount – Enter any Discount percentage allocated.
- Tax Code – You may accept the default code or enter in a new tax code.
- Tax % – For example Australia, USA, New Zealand and other countries, the Vendor Tax Code controls the rate. In Australia, the Inventory file will override on GST free or exempt items as required.
- Tax Amount – This will automatically populate with the total amount of tax for each individual line.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- Arrival Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax. There are two locations within a Order Vendor Invoice where the Ex-Tax value is displayed. In the Line Entry area where it is displayed on a line by line basis, and in the Totals area at the bottom of the screen as a value for the entire order. This is for users who are arriving orders and need to be able to view the Ex-Tax pricing within the Order.
- Weight/Area – This field displays the total weight or area x order quantity. The user may enter the total weight required which will automatically update the order quantity.
- Carton – Displays the total cartons (quantity multiplied by the carton quantity set in Inventory details).
- Pallet – Displays the pallet quantity (quantity multiplied by the pallet quantity set in Inventory details).
- 2nd Unit – Displays total 2nd unit (quantity multiplied by 2nd unit quantity set in Inventory details).
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. The system will display the Project Name.
- Don’t Print – Select Don’t Print to stop the line below from printing on the Order Vendor Invoice. The amount from this line is still included in the total value of the Order Vendor Invoice.
- Tariff – The Tariff ID number will display in this field. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- Duty – This is the Duty amount that may be either a fixed dollar amount or a percentage. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- Duty % – Is the duty amount as a percentage.
- On Cost Factor – The On Cost Factor is calculated as (Cost of Goods and services + On Costs) / Cost of Goods and services. This is automatically populated or you can insert the amount manually.
- Final Cost – Is the Final Cost of Inventory ordered including Tariff, Duties and On Cost Factors.
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). The system will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Order Vendor Invoice Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Amount – Total Amount is the Tax free amount of the order.
- Arr Ex-Tax – This is the cost before Tax.
- Ordered Weight – Is the Total Weight of the Order Vendor Invoice.
- Weight/Area – Weight/Area is the total weight or area of all lines entered on the order. (Inventory Items must have weights entered)
- Carton – Is the calculated total quantity of Cartons.
- Pallets – Is the calculated total quantity of Pallets.
- Discount – This Discount box allows the user to apply an overall discount percentage to the order.
- Tags – The user can mark this transaction with a tag by selecting a saved Tag from the Tag drop-down menu.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
The Order Vendor Invoice ‘More Details’ Page
The More Details Page has provision for the conversion of this Order Vendor Invoice to a Purchase Order, as well as data entry fields which allow the user to immediately enter in the payment details.
There are five data entry fields where notes or instructions may be entered. Some of these are populated from text entered into the Vendors Master record. These five data entry text fields are as follows.
- Text Details – The text entered here is for in house use only and will not be printed on any Order Vendor Invoices.
- Instructions – Any delivery instructions may be entered here and they will be printed on the Invoice.
- Signature – If provision for digital signatures has been set up the signatures will be displayed/stored in this Signature data entry field. a Vendor Signature is a digital signature for mobile proof on smartphones or tablets.
- Footer Details – Any notes or comments entered into this area will be printed in the footer of the order.
- Order Message – Any messages unique to the Order may be entered here and will be printed on the Invoice.
Standing Transactions Area
Standing Transactions may set up on the More Details Page of a Order Vendor Invoice as in other types of transactions.
Transaction Details Area
The user must first enter an arrived quantity on the Details Page. For this example, 100 items were ordered and we entered 30 as received or arrived. This is to help document the procedure here when a partial order is processed through the system.
There are a number of items in the transaction details are and these are documented as follows.
- Date Due – This is entered by the system based on settings either in the Vendors Master file or master defaults. This may be altered by the user if required.
- PAYG – If you are required to record a Pay As You Go amount, the percentage for this may be entered in this data entry field.
- Split –When the Split checkbox is selected, and the transaction saved using the , the system will split it into 2 OVI’s. One for the arrived quantities and another for the quantities still to be received. One order is created for the 30 as received, and another order for the 70 still to be received and on backorder. This keeps all of the orders as two separate orders in the system.
- Convert to Purchase (PVI) –When this checkbox is selected and the the is selected, the system will check that all lines are marked as arrived. If they are, the Order Vendor Invoice will immediately be converted to a Vendor Purchase, and the original Order will be deleted.
- When an incomplete Order is converted to a Purchase, the system splits the order re saving the order with the incomplete items as still on back order as an OVI but with appropriately reduced quantities
- It will also create a new Purchase Order for the arrived items, a (PVI).
- Auto Allocate to Project –When a Project has been entered on the Details Page, and this checkbox is selected , SapphireOne will automatically create a JGJ (Job General Journal) when the order is converted to a PVI and posted. Note that the JGJ will only be created with the posting of the new PVI.
When this transaction is converted and posted, the transaction values will be updated through to your GL account.
Payment Details Area
This area has the following data entry fields for the entry of a payment of some type:
- Paid From – A default Bank account is normally entered by the system. To change the default bank account, use the Wildcard ( @ or ? ) options and select from a list of general ledger bank accounts.
- Various types of payment, Card, Cheque, Cash or on Account may be selected by entering in the amount in the selected type of payment.
- If cash is to be paid the Cash Details should be entered instead as there is provision in this area to dispense change.
Once the Process Payment Details box is ticked a Vendor Invoice will be created.
- Payment Details Processed –If this checkbox is not ticked, an Invoice will be generated when the order is posted. If it is ticked the system will commence processing the Invoice immediately.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell the system to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction the system will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. The system will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.