A backorder, or backlog, is an order for goods or services that cannot be fulfilled due to limited supply. Back Orders are an indication that demand for a product outweighs supply. This may be due to limited inventory or constraints at a particular point in the supply chain. the number of items on backorder will exponentially impact the amount of time the custom must wait for a product. Successful management of backorders is critical to maintaining good customer relations.
This function has been provided for the management and updating of Back Orders that are in SapphireOne. It will display all Transactions that have Back Orders attached to them and Transactions that have items yet to be delivered. Once an Order is created SapphireOne looks at Available stock. If the order is in excess of Available stock the Balance shortfall is placed on Back Order.
This feature is located at Inventory > Sales > Back Orders.
If the conversion of OVI’s for deliveries to SCI’s is to be made, the user is advised to use the Delivery function instead.
- Initial Screen – On initial opening the posting screen the list will be empty waiting for input from the user.
- Limited number – If the number of Back Orders is not to large say less than 20 or 30, the procedure would be to immediately select the Load button to view all of the back orders in SapphireOne and proceed from there.
- Larger Number – However, if the number of Back Orders is large the user may immediately go and use the Selection button. This will cause SapphireOne to display the selection pop up as seen below.
When the OK button is selected SapphireOne will use the options selected in the Selection alert to filter the list of Back Orders as set up in the selection alert. The Back Orders as selected will be displayed in the upper section of the screen as a list. When a Back Order is highlighted in the list all of the line items for the highlighted order will be displayed in the lower area as seen below
Existing Client Orders – By highlighting an order then selecting the OVI button SapphireOne will look at the OCI that has been selected and offer to create an OVI for the stock that is currently not in stock.
Multiple lines in a Back Order
SapphireOne by default will set the Date Deliver to the same date for the entire invoice. The user now has the ability to alter these Date Deliver dates on a line by line basis if necessary from within this Back-Order function only.
- Setting Delivery Date options – Now let’s got to: Inventory \ Sales \ Delivery
- Select Order – From within that screen highlight the order as above and select Modify.
- Set Delivery Date – While the main function of this Modify Qty option is to enter in quantities the use has the ability to alter the Delivery Date on a line by line basis.
- For this reason, an Up To date entry field is now displayed when the Selection pop up is on screen. The user is now able to set any Date for immediate delivery.
This is the options menu area on the bottom of the Back Orders screen. The line entry area will be blank until you select the Load or Selection button from this area. Detailed descriptions of each button or option is in the list below.
|Up Down & Remove:||By using these Up and Down buttons you can change which Line Item is selected. The Remove button removes a line Item. You may also click on most of the column headings and sort according to that column.|
|Undo:||If you have proceeded through to the print screen you can re-open the Back Order screen, undo your print action and display the transactions again.|
|Zero:||Will reset all current records to zero delivery values. This should only be done when a new delivery schedule is being done as any picking lists currently being used will be cleared.|
|Packing Printed:||This will only load the orders that have picking slips already printed. (This toggles with All OCI’s immediately below).|
|Exclude Packing Printed:||Selecting this radio button to exclude OCI’s with the Packing printed flag raised to be excluded from the list.|
|All OCI’s:||This will tell SapphireOne to load ALL the current OCI’s that are on SapphireOne. (This toggles with Packing Printed above).|
|Split:||When part of the order has arrived the split button modify’s the original order to reflect the arrived items. E.g 100 Ordered 20 arrived. A new SCI is created for 20, Back Order is reduced to 80 and the actual order is also reduced to 80.|
|Load:||You will be first presented with no transactions on the screen. You have to first set your Preferences in the lower section of the screen and then load the transactions using the button. You can of course use the defaults as presented to you if you wish.|
|Recalc:||This button tells SapphireOne to re-process the current list. Doing calculations for what can be delivered based upon your current stock levels. It also clears the Packing Printed flag on all OCI’s.|
|OVI:||Creates a Vendor Order OVI for the stock that is short for the selected Client Order OCI.|
|Look:||When you select a transaction this will allow you to Look at or View it. Ther is also provision for attaching a document to it.|
|Modify:||When you select a transaction this allows you to Modify the quantities if it has not been posted.|
|Selection:||Allows for the control of the selection of orders for processing. Selecting the Preferences button will bring up a Dialog box named Selection with various options available.|
|OK:||This takes you to the Order Reports screen of which details are on the next page.|
This alert is available from the Selection button on the Back Order screen.
Client and Invoice Queries
Queries for both Clients and Invoices share the same format. They allow you to use a data base style of query with numerous options available for you to find particular Client/s or Transaction/s quickly and easily.
Order Reports Procedure
We now start the procedure of processing these back Orders.
After you have selected the required Back Order Transactions you will then select OK. SapphireOne will display the Order Dialog alert.
Alternatively you can go directly to the Order Reports screen by selecting Orders from the Sales menu at Inventory > Sales > Orders
A number of drop-down menus are available and a combination of these will print the report that you require.
The menus are Print Destination, Report Type, Report Sort Order, Report Selection and Paper Type.
- Print Destination – Options are Custom Report & Labels.
- Report Type – This menu enables you to select the type of report that is required.
- Report Sort Order – With this menu you can organise the way yourBback Order is sorted when it is printed. Numerous sort options are available.
- Paper Type – This menu allows you to select various types of paper. The first one Printed Plain Paper will print all lines images etc on to a plain sheet of paper. The second paper type Pre-printed Paper is designed to be used with customised paper the graphics and lines are already printed on it.
- Report Selection –This menu enables you to select what to include in the report from Marked Records through to Run Number.