Transfer Journal Overview
The Transfer Journal screen is the second item on the Inventory Data Entry menu. The Transfer Journal screen allows the transfer of stock between two product codes, such as when moving stock from one location to another.
The Transfer Journal function is mainly used to transfer stock from one location to another without any other adjustments being made to the stock transferred.
How to transfer multiple entries to the same location
You have the ability to transfer multiple entries to the same location using a function directly linked to a setting in Master Defaults.
You can navigate to this master default setting by going to: Utilities/Controls/Master Defaults/Invoices Page.
Within this Master Default setting, selecting the check box ‘Transfer Location Specific’ checkbox will cause two additional fields to be displayed in the Tracking Information stock transfer area, which must be filled in with a location ‘From ID’ and a Location ‘To ID’.
This allows you to transfer large numbers of stock From and To the same location, simplifying and streamlining the data entry process. Mixed location transfers are not allowed within the same transaction when this checkbox is selected.
If the ‘Transfer Location Specific’ option is not selected within Master Defaults, the ‘From and To’ fields are no longer displayed in the Information Tracking area. This enables a mixed group of transfers in a single transaction, and the user will have to enter the data for ‘To ID’ and ‘From ID’ location details for each individual transfer.
How to create additional ID’s for Batch Bay stock identification
For all Inventory items the transferring of stock is not allowed to the same inventory location.
However, if Batch items are selected this limitation is overridden so that batches, or parts of batches, may be moved from Bay to Bay within this Transfer Journal function.
To turn on this additional functionality go to: Utilities/Controls/Master Defaults/Inventory Page. Then select the ‘Batch First In First Out’ check box.
Then if the Bay/Shelf is entered on purchase it will be added to the Batch as an ~ID so each Bay record is stored individually instead of all Bays being combined together with a single Inventory ID. This means that the same Batch number can then be held in different Bays and easily recognised.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the @ or ? symbols. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters K@ SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
The Transfer Journal Details area is used to enter Notes and attach documents relating to the transfer of stock.
How to enter information into the Transfer Journal details area:
- Enter Notes – Select the Green Button to Date and Time Stamp the note and type any additional information and notes relating to the Transfer Journal.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Transfer Journal.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Transfer Journal Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The tabs for this type of transaction include as follows:
- Lines – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays history of the Inventory item. Included in each transaction is the Qty ordered and Amount, Sequence N°, any Discount Code and percentage allocated, Date and Type.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as available stock, stock on order, standard price, next arrival date, default Vendor.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
Tracking Details Area
The Transfer Journal Tracking Details area stores tracking details relating to the transfer.
How to enter information into the Transfer Journal Tracking Details area:
- Date In – Is the date that this Order has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- Ref No. – Internal Reference Number.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
Transaction Lines Area
As you enter a transaction, a summary of the transaction appears in a single line. You can view or modify a line by selecting it, then proceed to view or modify in the data entry area above.
How to enter information in the Transfer Journal Transaction Lines Area:
- From Inventory – Enter the inventory Location ID, SapphireOne will enter the Location names as set up in SapphireOne.
- To Inventory – Enter the inventory Location ID, SapphireOne will enter the Location names as set up in SapphireOne.
- Quantity – The amount of Inventory order.
- Rate – This is the Line Item default rate. You can enter in a new rate but note this is the rate excluding tax.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will display the Project Name.
- Tariff – The Tariff ID number will display in this field. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- Duty – This is the Duty amount that may be either a fixed dollar amount or a percentage. This is set up in the SapphireOne Manager Menu.
- On Cost Factor – The On Cost Factor is calculated as (Cost of Goods and services + On Costs) / Cost of Goods and services. This is automatically populated or you can insert manually the amount.
- Final Cost – Is the Final Cost of Inventory ordered including Tariff, Duties and On Cost Factors.
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Journal Transfer Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – Is the automatically generated unique Sequence number.
- Batch – The Batch field shows the total for all orders entered in the current group.
- Tags – The user can select a saved Tag from this Drop down or add a custom tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.