Stock Adjustment Journal Overview
The Stock Adjustment Journal data entry screen has been designed for the adjustment of stock levels and/or actual costs per unit, and allows for control of the stock and automatic entry of the opposing adjustments within the General Ledger.
The General Ledger account is the Debit or Credit side to be adjusted against the Inventory Asset Account.
To note before entering a Stock Adjustment Journal Overview:
- If the Stock Adjustment Journal involves negative stock, there is no cost change.
- When Stocktake adjustments are done, they must be posted immediately as these entries are based upon a snapshot of the current stock levels at the time of entry.
- The General Ledger Account cannot be the same as the Inventory Asset Account as the Inventory items will be re-valued. Therefore, you will have to create a Stock Variance Account within the Cost of Sales section of your Income Statement.
- For any Inventory Items with an Inventory Type of “Hire” selected you have to use this Stock Adjustment Journal function to get hire stock into SapphireOne. These items will also not be displayed in any Sales or Purchase lists. (The Hire function is part of the POS drop-down menu.)
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter information in the Stock Adjustment Journal Details area:
- Notes – Type in any notes.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Stock Adjustment Journal.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Stock Adjustment Journal Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The tabs for this type of transaction include as follows:
- Lines – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays history of the Inventory item. Included in each transaction is the Quantity and Amount, Sequence N°, Date and Type.
- Create Line – Is for creating a new line and Copy Pricing.
- Inventory – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays inventory details such as ID, Name, Available Stock, Allocated Stock, Stock on Order, Stock on Back Order and Standard Price.
- Items – When a transaction line is selected, this tab displays additional inventory details.
- Controls – This tab displays information about the transaction such as the date it was created and who created it.
- Error Code – Displays any error code such as negative stock, batch error and period error.
Hiring Inventory Items
- Any Inventory stock that has its Type set as Hire is treated differently to all other stock.
- It is not displayed in any Sales or Purchase lists so that the user is unable to directly Purchase Hire items directly into Stock. This also means that accidental Selling or Purchasing of these items is also eliminated.
- Once the stock has been purchased as a normal Inventory item this Stock Entry function is used to transfer normal stock into the Hire Stock.
- Before transferring any Inventory items that are to be hired a second Inventory item with a type set as Hire has to be created. That means that for any Inventory item that hiring is planned for will have Two ID’s, One for normal Purchasing and Selling, and another for Hiring.
- Inventory valuations should also be considered when transferring stock as the new stock that has never been purchased or sold, will have no Last Cost or Price. These will have to be entered manually.
The Stock Adjustment Journal Tracking Details area stores tracking details about the transaction. These details include:
- Date In – Is the date that this Stock Adjustment Journal has been entered on SapphireOne (usually SapphireOne date).
- External Reference – External reference number.
- Ref No – Internal reference number.
- Period – Period matching the date, set in company controls.
Transaction Lines Area
The Stock Adjustment Journal Transaction Lines area contains three data entry lines and a transaction summary area. The three data entry lines consist of:
- The 1st line is for the Inventory ID, Inventory Details, GL ID.
- The 2nd line has Stocktake quantities, difference, rate, new cost, total and project
- The 3rd line has weight area, pallet and 2nd unit details.
As you enter a transaction, a summary of the transaction appears in a single line in the transaction summary area. You can view or modify a line by selecting it, then proceed to view or modify in the data entry area above.
How to enter details in the Stock Adjustment Journal Transaction Lines area:
- Inventory ID – is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard options to search for the Inventory ID.
- Stock Quantity – Allows for the changing of the stock quantity.
- Difference – is the difference between current stock and the stock take. Either positive or Negative –minus.
- Inventory Details – Once the ID is entered SapphireOne will display the Inventory description or name.
- Rate – Is the current actual cost per item.
- New Cost – Field allows for the changing of the current cost per item.
- Total – This is the total cost for each individual line item including any tax.
- GL ID – Is a general ledger (GL) ID.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard options to search for the Project ID. SapphireOne will display the Project Name once a valid Project ID has been entered.
- Weight Area – This field displays the total weight or area x order quantity. The user may enter the total weight required which will automatically update the order quantity.
- Pallet – Displays the pallet quantity: quantity multiplied by the pallet quantity set in Inventory details.
- 2nd Unit – Displays total 2nd unit: quantity multiplied by 2nd unit quantity set in Inventory details.
All of the lines in the Transaction Lines area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
Transaction Footer Area
The Stock Adjustment Journal Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows the user to easily check critical details of the transaction.
These details include:
- Sequence – SapphireOne will generate a unique sequence number for this Stock Adjustment Journal.
- Tag – The user may mark this transaction using a Tag if required.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.