This is a very short step by step list
Other articles in the Client Server area in knowledge base should be read before reading this article and referred back to if required for additional details
This is a short checklist when updating SapphireOne’s builds by replacing the Server Database folder. The Folder Server Database is an exact folder name in an exact location on your server’s drive. Its path and name must not be changed.
For the above reason when the zip file is extracted, the folder name inside is always named Server Database. This makes it impossible to identify the version number once it has been unpacked from the zip file, so be careful when working with it. It is also why the renaming of this folder is required when doing an upgrade using the procedure documented below.
- Download Files – Download the required files from the SapphireOne file server.
- Move the files into the correct location and unpack them as required
- Sapphire Version or Build Number – While the required files are downloading, use the Client application and check the current Version you are running.
- It is the last group of numbers in the Version number. It will be from 0 to 100 or more.
- Verifying Data File – Also while the files are downloading, use the server application and select the Maintenance Tab.
- Then run the Verify Records and Indexes procedure by selecting the appropriate button.
- If any errors are reported, call SapphireOne support staff before proceeding any further.
- Shut Server Down – Shut the server down and do a manual backup to a zip file.
- Don’t forget to move the backup zip file to the required permanent storage location.
- Server Database Folder name – Remember that this folder always has the same name when unpacked and it is very easy to pick the wrong one up and install it.
- Server Database Folder Replacement – Now we will replace the Server Database folder.
- Drill in and find the old Server Database folder and rename it.
- A suggestion is to add the build number, I.e., Server Database 100.
- Installing New Build – Copy the freshly downloaded Server Database folder, into the same location on the server as above.
- Be careful as it may not be the top folder in the unzipped archive.
- The new Server Database folder should sit immediately above or below the old renamed Server Database folder, which confirms that you have copied it into the correct location.
- Restart The Server – Next restart the server and immediately connect to the server with a Client Application.
- If the Client application is on the server it may be used to connect to the server.
- Verify that the SapphireOne build or version number is as expected!
- If this is correct, you may now allow users back in.
- Incorrect Version or Build – If the version or build number is incorrect, it just means that the 4D server has picked up the wrong Server Database folder.
- Do not perform any data entry, and shut the server down immediately.
- Then repeat the procedure above. If that does not work, ring SapphireOne’s support staff immediately.
- Cleaning Up – The reason that mistakes are made is that no one has cleaned up after doing an upgrade of some type and the wrong Server Database folder is selected and installed.
- Clean up the folder that you unpacked the files into!
- Clean up the folder that the files were downloaded to!
- You do not need these file and folders as all they will do is to cause trouble eventually!
- ONLY Critical File – ALL files except the CompanyID.4DD file can be replaced! Once this CompanyID.4DD file is installed and accessed, SapphireOne will rebuild all other files. That’s the .4DD file, your live data file. This file is your company’s life, and the importance of backing it up and maintaining its security is absolutely critical!