Downloading 4D version upgrade or installation files
The need for a dedicated installer for SapphireOne has been eliminated, as the internet speeds have increased and the zipped files can be downloaded directly from SapphireOne’s file Station, using any web browser. Therefore, there is no need for a separate FTP Client to download the files.
The 4D version at the time of writing this article is 19.6. These zip files are in the Download folder in the Upgrade 4D Server folder on the file station. For each platform these files are named as follows.
- Mac OSX – It is named 19.6MacServer.zip, and is currently 664 Mb in size.
- Windows – It is named 19.6WinServer.zip and is currently 360 Mb in size.
Unzipping the 4D Version Upgrade files.
- Mac OSX – After downloading and unzipping the files, the top folders for a Mac will be named as seen here. .
- Note that the characters Mac does not currently appear in the name.
- Windows – After downloading and unzipping the files, the top folders for Windows the top folder will be named as seen here. .
- Currently this folder may not the top folder in the unpacked folders. Copy and paste the next folder down in the tree with exactly the same name in to the required location.
File and data Locations on your server.
4D folder contents
The unzipped folders will include several files and sub folders, including a Server Database folder that stores the existing build or compilation of SapphireOne. It’s worth noting that the current 4D version stands at 18.4, and SapphireOne is currently testing version 19.6, which is expected to be released in the next few days.
Documentation and Recording Software and data locations
To ensure consistency and easy access to the required folders, SapphireOne recommends creating a designated SapphireOne folder in a standard location on the server’s hard drive, such as the Applications folder on a Mac or the Program Files folder on a Windows machine.
It’s crucial for customers to establish a consistent and well-documented location for the SapphireOne 4D folders on their server, including the Server Database folder and the Live Data File. Since the installer is no longer used, these folders are being placed in different locations on various servers, making it difficult for new users or IT support personnel to locate them quickly. By adopting a standard location and documenting it, users can save time and avoid frustration in the future.
By maintaining a standardized folder structure, IT managers can easily locate the necessary files and ensure they are correctly backed up. Furthermore, it simplifies troubleshooting in case of any SapphireOne issues.
Not Installing C drive.
Note that installing SapphireOne onto a drive other than the C drive is possible but not recommended, as the drive selected for the installation must be a permanent fixture to the computer and not a removable drive. It is essential to create a SapphireOne folder directly off the root of the drive, no matter what drive the software is installed on.
If you choose to install SapphireOne on a drive other than the C drive, please note that the C:/ drive in the screenshots presented later in this article should be substituted with the letter of the selected drive for the installation, such as D:/, E:/, F:/, and so on.
It’s crucial to choose a secure location on the server’s hard drive for storing the Live Data File. Storing it on the desktop or a removable drive is not recommended, as it can lead to accidental deletion or movement. After deciding on a location, it’s advisable to document it and take a screenshot for future reference.
The screenshot presented later in this article demonstrates one approach to organizing folders and files on a Mac or a Windows-based machine. The primary goal of creating the SapphireOne folder and adding folders below it is to keep all the SapphireOne files and folders in one place on the hard drive.
Create a common folder for critical data
Creating a common folder for critical data is essential to keep your SapphireOne files organized. The recommended folder name is SapphireOne Constants, but it can have any name that the user prefers. It should be placed in the same location as in the screen shot below. The sub folders below it can also have any name that the user deems appropriate.
SapphireOne Constants Sub Folder.
- A Live Data File Name – To keep your company’s live working data file folder organized, SapphireOne recommends naming it as ALiveDataFile or A Live Data Fileo keep your company’s live working data file folder o
- Preceding the folder name with the letter A will place it at the top of the list of folders alphabetically.
- The actual name of the data file can be any name you prefer, but it usually follows the naming convention of your company name followed by .4D.
- Other File Storage Folders –If the SapphireOne Constants folder is created directly below the common SapphireOne folder and is used to store the live data file, it should not need to be moved during upgrades. However, the following items must be stored in a location where the path to the common folder is never changed:
- A Live data file – Your company’s live data file can be stored in any location the user prefers, but it’s recommended to store it in the SapphireOne Constants folder located directly below the common SapphireOne folder. This location provides a centralized and organized approach to storing your data file, ensuring it’s easy to locate and access.
- Documents – If you choose to store documents separately from the data file, it’s crucial to ensure that the path to this folder remains consistent and is never changed. This ensures that SapphireOne can locate the documents whenever they’re needed. Additional documentation will be added at the end of this article to provide further guidance on managing the pictures folder.
- Pictures – If you choose to store pictures separately from the data file, it’s crucial to ensure that the path to this folder remains consistent and is never changed. This ensures that SapphireOne can locate the pictures whenever they’re needed. Additional documentation will be added at the end of this article to provide further guidance on managing the pictures folder.ion will be added at the end of this article.
Mac & Windows File & Folder sorting.
It should be noted that by default, Windows sorts folders one way, and Mac sorts them in the opposite direction. In the screenshot presented below, we will use the Windows default sort, which is more logical.
4D Application Folder Layout.
It’s crucial to organize the SapphireOne files and folders in one location. The recommended approach is to create a SapphireOne folder and add sub-folders to it. When a significant upgrade is extracted from a zip file, it creates a folder with the name SapphireOne XX.Y server (e.g., from 18.4 to 18.6 and the 19.6 as seen above). As newer versions are added, they will be displayed numerically in the list, and the older versions can be deleted if necessary
File and Folder Removal
As you upgrade the application, place the Server application in the SapphireOne folder as shown above. It is important to delete the previous Server application folder after running the new version to avoid any future issues in case it is accidentally executed.
Windows Run As administrator Shortcut
On the Windows Platform it is critical that the shortcut is always executed as Administrator. It is recommended that the shortcut properties are modified by right clicking on the shortcut, selecting properties, then selecting the Advanced Properties tab. While the Advanced tab is open select the Run as Administrator checkbox.
Storing Documents & Pictures outside the data file.
As more documents and pictures are being stored as a part of the data file, they’re becoming larger and larger. To address this size issue, SapphireOne has decided to allow users to store these documents and pictures in a separate folders instead of within the data file.
For this reason, the file and folder structure documented in the earlier part of this article should be implemented to enable the application to access both the documents and/or pictures in the folders as documented. This approach helps keep your data file size manageable while ensuring your documents and pictures which are still easily accessible within the SapphireOne application.
It’s crucial that the path to the documents and pictures folders never changes when upgrading the SapphireOne software. Any alteration to the path will result in the application being unable to access these folders. This can lead to issues with locating and accessing your documents and pictures, causing unnecessary delays and frustrations.
Document Setup Procedure
To commence the setup procedure the will have create a folder to store these documents. Please refer to the earlier sections in this article for details on how and where to create this folder.
Next we will have to turn on the functionality.
To do this go to: Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page (The first Page).
Next select the Store as Files radio button.
The alert as seen to the right will be displayed.
Select No as we want to specify where these documents will be stored
Navigation – .
You can review our Blog and YouTube channel for additional information and resources on SapphireOne ERP, CRM and Business Accounting software.