SapphireOne no longer provides an installer as the internet is now fast enough to download the zipped files directly from SapphireOne’s file Station, which may be accessed using any Web browser. This eliminates the need for a dedicated ftp client on a local computer to download our files.
The 4D version at the time of writing this article is 18.4
From 18.4 the zip file names for a Mac and a Windows based computer are as follows.
- MacOSX – It is named 188.8.131.52MacServer.
- Windows – It is named 184.108.40.206WinServer.
These files will unpack and display the following main top folders for a Mac and a Windows machine as seen below. These main or top folders will contain other files and folders, as well as a Server Database folder which is where the current build or compile for SapphireOne is located.
Since an installer for SapphireOne is no longer used, we have discovered that the locations where the above folders are copied to is becoming many and varied on every SapphireOne server. This makes it difficult for anyone who is not immediately familiar with your server as lot of time con be wasted checking for the location of these folders otherwise known as the structure file. Also, the location of where the actual live data file is located on the hard drive, can be found in some interesting locations.
Installing on to Other than C drive
While installation to C:\ drive is highly recommended, any other drive selected for the installation must be a permanent fixture to the MacOSX or Windows computer and not a drive that can be removed.
No matter what drive the SapphireOne software is installed on, there should always be a SapphireOne folder created directly off the root of the drive as seen later in this article.
The C:/ in the screenshots below could be replaced with D:/, E:/, F:/ and so on, but it must be permanently attached to the computer. The Application and Program folders are dispensed with and the SapphireOne folder created directly off the root of the selected drive.
Folder locations on both Mac and Windows
The file and folder layouts on both Mac and Windows is the same. Whereas on a Windows machine the user is allowed to see the files and folders, on a Mac they are listed as Name.app. The user has to select this name.app file and right click. From the mouse context menu select the Show Contents option.
Live data file location
It is imperative that a decision is made to create a folder where your Live Data File is to be stored, and this should not be on the desktop of the server. For example, if the server is not running, it could be accidentally deleted or moved. Once this decision is made and implemented, its location should be recorded and a screen shot taken, so that it may be located easily and reliably at a later date.
The screen shot below is one method of organising your folders and file on a Mac or a Windows based machine. The main purpose of creating the SapphireOne folder and then adding folders below it, is to keep all of the SapphireOne files and folders in the one place on your hard drive.
When an initial major upgrade is extracted from a zip file there will be a folder with the name SapphireOne XX.Y server as seen below from 17.2 to 18.2. As these are added to the SapphireOne folder they will be displayed numerically in the list. The previous versions can then be deleted as required.
The SapphireOne Constants folder can be any name that you want, but because of the name used below it will always sit below the SapphireOnexx.xx Server folders in the same place. The folders below this can also have any name that is required by the user, as the ones in the screen shot are just a recommendation.
Folder Name Suggestions
- Live Data File Name – The name used above is ALiveDataFile. For us at SapphireOne will mean that your company’s live working data file should be within that folder.
- Preceding the folder name with the letter A, will simply place the folder alphabetically at the top of the list of folders.
- The actual name of the data file itself in the folder can have any name that is required and it usually is the name of your company followed by .4D.
- Other File Storage Folders – If the SapphireOne Constants folder is created directly below the common SapphireOne folders and used to hold the live data file it should never have to be moved when an upgrade is completed.
Mac folder SapphireOne locations:
- Mac Applications Folder – For a Mac the Applications folder is where the SapphireOne folder above should be created.
- Mac App Folder – The user should be aware that on a Mac it will name the server file SapphireOne xx.xServer.app and proceed to hide the contents.
- Displaying Contents – The user will have to right click on the app and select show contents.
PC folder locations 64bit Applications:
- PC 64 bit – For a windows please note that SapphireOne is now 64bit application.
- 32 bit Folder – On a windows we have the “Program Files (x86)” folder for legacy 32bit applications.
- 64 bit Folder – We also have “Program Files” folder for 64bit applications.
- Which folder – For a windows the Program Files folder is where the SapphireOne should be installed. Although if it is installed correctly in the “Program Files (x86)” folder we would probably leave it as it was.
On a windows it is critical that the shortcut is always executed as Administrator. It is recommended that the shortcut properties are modified by right clicking on the shortcut, selecting properties, then selecting the Advanced tab. While the Advanced tab is open select the Run as Administrator checkbox.