Client Journal Overview
The Client Journal screen is the fourth item on the Accounts Receivables ‘Data Entry’ drop down menu. A Client Journal is used to make adjustments to Client balances when a mistake or error of some type has occurred.
The adjustment made to Client balances may be positive or negative, however in SapphireOne negative amounts are entered by prefixing the amount with a dash. If a negative amount is entered SapphireOne Accounting Software will display it as follows in brackets ($100.00).
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter details in the Client Journal Transaction area:
- Client ID – Entering a valid Client ID will cause SapphireOne Accounting Software to load the remainder of the Client details from the Client’s master file. This allows for on screen checking ensuring that you are selecting the correct Client for the transaction.
- External Ref – Enter the External Reference No if required.
- Journal – Enter the Journal Nº. SapphireOne Accounting Software will normally automatically generate these numbers in sequence but they can be altered if required.
- Date In – Accept today’s Date or alter as required. (A date picking calendar is provided).
- Period – Accept the Period as offered by SapphireOne or alter as required. (A Period picking pop up is provided).
ο To select different period, click on the underlined Period for a
pop-up period list.
ο Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Date Due – The Date Due will be entered automatically by SapphireOne as per the Clients terms if set up, but this may be altered if required.
- Memo – Enter any details for this client journal.
There is a paper clip in the top right hand corner of the first page of all data entry and all inquiry screens within SapphireOne. Within all data entry and inquiry screens there is also a separate page just for managing documents i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or relevant record. An infinate number of documents may be attached to a transaction or record at any time.
In either case to add a document, select either the or paperclip, and the following Document List pop-up will be displayed.
Please note, the Document List screenshot below is identical for both Mac and Windows users.
Any type of document can be attached using the Paperclip. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. The appropriate software must be installed on the computer or device before opening.
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version.
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
Information Tab Area
The Client Journal Information area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You may only view information here, not alter it. The Information tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. There are seven tabs in the Client Journal Information area. These tabs include:
- Client Tab – This Tab displays various details about the Client, i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and any Warning Message.
- Controls Tab – This Tab lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the any allocation made.
- Allocation Tab – This Tab displays any linked data records when there has been an allocation against the current invoice.
- G.L Tab – This Tab displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project Tab – If a Project ID has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name etc.
- Trans. Tab – This Tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse clicking you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code Tab – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
The Client Journal Standing Transactions area is used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A Standing Transaction is usually be given a Start Date and a Finish Date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
The Client Journal Destination area is where the lines are stored that go to make up this transaction. Depending on the transaction, this can be from a single line in accounts mode to a hundred or more in Inventory mode.
All of the lines in the Destination area, are listed here. The list itself, only displays the basic details of each Line. You cannot directly edit from this list.
To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area, select or highlight a line.
All of the additional data entry fields will then be displayed for you immediately above the list of lines.
From there the user is able to view or modify all of the data entry fields for the line as required.
The easiest way to add a line is with the keyboard shortcut. Hold the (Command or Control key down and select forward slash (/). SapphireOne will then place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line. Alternatively, selecting the button will also place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field, ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may also be added to the transaction by clicking on the button or selecting the button to delete the currently highlighted line.
- Account – Enter the General Ledger Account ID. Once the ID is entered SapphireOne will display the Account name. The User can also use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Account ID.
- Net Amount – Next enter in the Net Amount or tab through and enter the full amount including Tax in the Total field. SapphireOne will either forward or reverse calculate as required using the last used entry field as a reference. SapphireOne will then automatically calculate the remaining fields including the Tax. This is used mainly in Australia, New Zealand and USA.
- Tax Code – You may accept the default Tax Code or change it by over-typing (not recommended). This will allow you to bring in another tax code. The Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to: Utilities \ Controls \ Company Inquiry \ Periods & Taxes to set up the Tax Codes.
- Project – The Project data entry field is used if this journal is part of a Project so that the Project ID may be entered here and linked to the Client Journal.
- % Applied – The % Applied will be entered by SapphireOne when the Project ID is entered, however the user may over ride this if necessary.
- Notes – The Notes data entry field is for the entry of any notes for this Client Journal transaction.
Transaction Footer Area
The Client Journal Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows you to easily check the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence and Batch – Sequence and Batch numbers that SapphireOne automatically generates for the transaction are displayed.
- Out of Balance – Saving of the transaction will not be allowed until the Out of Balance value is 0.00.
- Rules Level – If a rule is attached by SapphireOne to the transaction it will be displayed here.
- Tag – The transaction may be marked with a tag if required.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.