Vendor Payment Overview
Vendor Payment is the first item in the Accounts Payable’s ‘Data Entry’ drop-down menu. The Vendor Payment screen is used to make payments to Vendor’s. Data entry for this function is very similar to the Money Payment screen.
The External Reference (Ext Ref.) number is the Vendor Payment Number, once entered the remaining fields will automatically populate with the Vendor details and amount due. If there are no Bank Charges or discounts, then simply green tick to process the payment.
Any data entry field that has a light blue background is a linked data entry field. If you do not know the exact ID to enter, the user may replace some or all of the characters with the “@” or “?” characters. SapphireOne will then display a much shorter list for the user to select the correct ID from. For example,if the user enters “K@” SapphireOne will display all records beginning with K.
When a data entry field heading is underlined this indicates that once an ID has been entered the user may then click on the underlined heading. SapphireOne will then do a specific query for the ID as entered and display a list with just the single item in it. The user may then view or modify the item as normal.
How to enter Vendor Payment details in the Transaction area:
- Vendor ID – Enter the Vendor ID.
- Ext Ref. – The External reference number is the Vendors Invoice Number. SapphireOne will then look for this number and when it finds it, the remaining fields will automatically populate with the Vendor details and amount due.
- Payment No. – Is an additional field to record any Internal Reference you may have for the transaction.
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax. If the Vendor is dealing in a foreign currency, the appropriate currency and tax will be displayed. These are set up in the Vendor Master File.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date .
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Paid From – The default General Ledger bank account will be displayed. To select an alternative bank account, type in the code or use the Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option for a list of other bank accounts.
- Payee – A text field to enter any payee details.
- Memo – Enter any data or notes into the Memo text box.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to this Money Payment.
SapphireOne Document Management System (DMS) includes a Paper Clip icon on all data entry and inquiry screens and allows users to attach relevant documents or files to every transaction or record. Additionally, every data entry and inquiry screen within SapphireOne also contains a separate Page specifically for managing documents related to the transaction i.e. version control.
The red colour of the paper clip indicates that there are currently no documents attached to this transaction. When a document has been attached, the paperclip will turn green and the word Items will be prefixed by the number of documents currently attached to this transaction or record.
SapphireOne Document Management functionality can store any type of file or document, and an infinite number of documents may be stored for an unlimited amount of time. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files.
Within SapphireOne Master Defaults, there are settings available for the user to restrict the size of each individual document, and also to select where the documents are to be stored – within the data file itself or in a seperate folder. These options may be altered by going to Utilities > Controls > Master Defaults > System Page. Within the Documents area in the right hand corner of SapphireOne Page, there is a provision for the user to set the ‘Document Size Limit’ (the default size is 10Mb). There are also two radio buttons where the user can select ‘Store with Data File’ as part of the data file, and ‘Store as Files’ seperate to the data file.
To attach a document to a transaction, select either the or Paperclip icon and the following Document List window will be displayed.
How to Attach Documents Using SapphireOne Paperclip
Documents can be attached using SapphireOne Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically. If SapphireOne detects that the document name already exists, a pop-up will be displayed alerting the user. Alternatively, the user can also select the Plus icon to select a document to upload from the local computer.
Once a document has been attached, the user has the ability to rename any document by right clicking on the file and selecting Rename as seen above. Renaming documents will ensure that document names remain consistent across all records.
- Open – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will open the currently selected document for viewing.
- Update – When the button is selected, SapphireOne will display a pop-up which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. This functionality allows users to update and keep records of different versions of the same document. When the new version has been selected, the user will be asked to enter in a new version number. The new version will now be the document available, and all previous versions will be recorded and available within the History area of Document List screen. The new version of the document will still be linked to any transactions that the old version was.
- Scan – When the Scan button is selected, SapphireOne will access a local or network scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to scan a document directly into the data file and link it to the transaction. The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local machine or network.
- Save – The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document to the disk.
- Link Documents – The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to another transaction or multiple transactions in the data file. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Link Existing Documents – The Link Existing Documents button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A pop-up will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents. You can learn more about Linked Documents in the Links Area documented below.
- Delete – The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted document.
- Plus – When the Plus button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer.
When a document is selected within the Documents area, the Details area will automatically populate to display additional information about the document, including the Title of the document and the Type of file.
The Notes area is for entering any notes related to the document. The user can select the green clock icon to create a time and date stamp for every note added.
The Notes area will also keep an automatic user log when any changes are made to the document. For example, if the document is renamed or new links are created. SapphireOne will record the date, time and user that made the modifications.
Document Details Area
The Document Details area contains additional information relating to the selected document, and will automatically populate when a document is selected from the list. This includes the date and time the document was appended, the document number and the user who added the document.
The History area displays a record of the complete version history of the selected document. SapphireOne keeps track of all version changes and will automatically display the documents history within this area.
The History area will automatically update as new versions of the document are imported when selecting the Update button. When a new document version is imported, all previous versions of the document will be recorded and available to view within the History area. This enables the user to always view the most recently updated version of the document, however still keep a complete record of the document history.
The Links area is used to link documents to particular areas or transactions within SapphireOne. The links area can also be used to view all linking information related to the document. For example, if the document was imported using a function with SapphireOne, the links area will have a line containing this linking information.
To add in additional links to a document, select the document and then select the Link Document icon. The Files pop up window will be displayed. From the File drop down menu, select what you want to link this document to. Then within the Value data entry field, enter in the details (ID). As this data entry field has a blue background, it is user searchable by entering the wildcard ‘?’ or ‘@’ symbols.
Document Management using SapphireOne Documents Inquiry
As well as SapphireOne Document Management Paperclip functionality, SapphireOne Documents Inquiry function within SapphireOne Workbook Mode gives users the ability to view a repository of all documents and files stored within the SapphireOne data file. Users have the ability to add New documents, Modify, View or Delete existing documents from within the Documents Inquiry screen.
Any revisions made to a document within the Documents Inquiry screen will be updated across all areas that the document is linked to across SapphireOne, and similarly any modifications made to documents within the SapphireOne Paperclip Document List window will be reflected within the Documents Inquiry window. For example, if a document is renamed within a transaction Paperclip Document List screen, the document name will also be reflected when viewing the document in the Document Inquiry screen.
You can learn more about SapphireOne Documents Inquiry functionality within the Documents Inquiry article.
Information Tab Area
The Vendor Payment Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it. Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. The Information Tabs currently include:
- Vendor – This Tab displays details about the Vendor i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Debit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of any allocations that have been made.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- General Ledger – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Transaction – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
Standing Transactions Area
Standing Transactions are used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period. A Standing Transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
- Scheduled – For the frequency that this transaction is to created you may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly or Other.
- SapphireOne will by default not set any Start/Next or Stop dates as they must be user selected from the date picking calendar provided or entered manually.
Payment Details Area
How to enter Payment details:
- Bank Charges – Bank Charges are incurred with overseas bank accounts. If bank Charges are to be entered the user must select the checkbox ‘Bank Charge’.
- Expense – Enter the General Ledger account or use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to select the account.
- Int. Ref – If supplied, enter the reference number given from the bank.
- Total – Enter the Bank Charge amount.
- Tax Code – If necessary, enter the Tax code relating to this Bank Charge.
- Payment Finalised – Once the payment is finalised, tick the Payment Finalised Box.
Transaction Footer Area
The Vendor Payment Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction. This includes information such as:
- Sequence – SapphireOne automatically generates a unique sequence number.
- Batch – SapphireOne automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the Vendor invoice’s that have been entered at any given time.
- Amount – Total Amount of this Vendor Receipt.
- Tax – A system automatically generates the correct tax on the amount.
- Out of Balance – SapphireOne automatically generates a Balanced Total. For this type of transaction the Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 before the user is able to save the transaction.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark the transaction with a tag.
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into SapphireOne. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Most of the Tag Headings are user configurable.
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
Utilities \ Controls \ Master Defaults \ then select the appropriate functions Page
- The Tag Headings may be re-named by going to:
- All of the items in the Tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- The drop-down menus are created by entering in an item not on the list, then (tab away). SapphireOne will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, hold the Control or Command key down and then select it. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00 the tick, will activate in the top tool bar indicating to the user that the transaction is ready to be saved. When more than a single transaction is selected, Blue will also be displayed on the main toolbar. See below for additional details.
You can save your Transaction in one of three methods:
Select the Tick when it is activated. This will save the current transaction and return the user to the main tool bar or the list.
When multiple transactions have been selected the user may click on the tick on the tool bar with the results as seen as above.
Click on either of the the Arrows. This will tell SapphireOne to save the current transaction and open the next transaction in the list ready for data entry or modification. Also note that for what ever page is open in the transaction SapphireOne will move to the next transaction displaying the exact same page. I.e. Terms page to Terms page. Very handy when checking the same data in multiple items.
Selecting the Enter Key on the keypad. SapphireOne will then save the current transaction and opens another transaction of the same type ready for data entry. Very handy when entering multiple transactions of the same type. I.e. Client Receipt, Client Receipt.