Accounts Payables – Vendor Payment
Vendor Payment Overview
Vendor Payment is the fifth drop-down item in the Accounts Payable’s ‘Data Entry’ menu. The Vendor Payment screen is used to make payments to Vendor’s.
Data entry for this function is very similar to the Money Payment screen. The External Reference (Ext Ref.) number is the Vendor Payment Number, once entered the remaining fields will automatically populate with the Vendor details and amount due. If there are no Bank Charges or discounts, then simply green tick to process the payment.
There are five main areas of the Vendor Payment screen
1. Transaction Area
How to enter Vendor Payment details in the Transaction area
- Vendor ID – Enter the Vendor ID.
Ext Ref. – The External reference number is the Vendors Invoice Number. The system will then look for this number and when it finds it the remaining fields will automatically populate with the Vendor details and amount due.
- Payment No. – Is an additional field to record any Internal Reference you may have for the transaction.
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax. If the Vendor is dealing in a foreign currency, the appropriate currency and tax will be displayed. These are set up in the Vendor Master File.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date .
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Paid From – The default General Ledger bank account will be displayed. To select an alternative bank account, type in the code or use the Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option for a list of other bank accounts.
- Payee – A text field to enter any payee details.
- Memo – Enter any data or notes into the Memo text box.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to this Money Payment.
Click here to see how to attach documents to the transaction using the paper clip:
- Click on the red paper clip in the top right side of the Transactions area to attach the first document. A pop up document List will be displayed.
- From the pop up Document List select the green (+) button to add a document. Navigate to the documents location on your computer and select it by clicking on the Open button down the bottom of the screen.
- Then click on the green tick on the main toolbar to attach the document. The paperclip will turn green indicating that there is now a document attached.
- If the paper clip is green document/s have already been attached to the transaction. To add more documents click on the green paperclip and follow the exact same procedure as above to attach additional document/s. Remember to save the document list each time by selecting the green tick on the main toolbar.
- To delete a record or document, click on the Green paperclip, then select/highlight the document to be removed and select the Minus (-) button. A pop up will ask for confirmation of the deletion. Green tick on the main toolbar out when you are done.
2. Information Tab Area
The Information Tab area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You have the ability to view the information here, not alter it.
Click on the Information Tabs to select the details you would like displayed. The Information Tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed.
The Information Tabs Currently include:
- Vendor – This Tab displays details about the Vendor i.e. Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Debit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of any allocations that have been made.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- General Ledger – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Transaction – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
3. Standing Transactions Area
Standing Transactions are used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period.
A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
Click here to see how to set up Standing Transactions:
- Scheduled – You may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly, Other or None. By default, the system will not set any dates. These must be entered by the user. If you select ‘Other’ you will be asked to specify the period in days.
- Start/Next Date – The date in field at the top is the Start date. Once you select the frequency from the Scheduled drop-down menu, the system automatically creates the next date of your scheduling. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Start/Next Date.
- Stop Date – A pop-up calendar will appear automatically for you to enter in a Stop date as required. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Stop Date.
4. Payment Details Area
How to enter Payment details
- Bank Charges – Bank Charges are incurred with overseas bank accounts. If bank Charges are to be entered the user must select the checkbox ‘Bank Charge’.
- Expense- Enter the General Ledger account or use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to select the account.
- Int. Ref – If supplied, enter the reference number given from the bank.
- Total – Enter the Bank Charge amount.
- Tax Code- If necessary, enter the Tax code relating to this Bank Charge.
- Payment Finalised – Once the payment is finalised, tick the Payment Finalised Box.
5. Transaction Footer Area
The Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction.
This includes information such as:
- Sequence – The system automatically generates a unique sequence number.
- Batch – The system automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the Vendor invoice’s that have been entered at any given time.
- Amount – Total Amount of this Vendor Receipt.
- Tax – A system automatically generates the correct tax on the amount.
- Out of Balance – The system automatically generates a Balanced Total. For this type of transaction the Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 before the user is able to save the transaction.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark the transaction with a tag.
Click here to see how to Create, Delete or Manage Tags:
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
How to save a Vendor Payment
It is important to note that the Out of Balance must always equal to 0.00 before the transaction can be saved.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00, the Save button will activate in the top tool bar, and a Blue Arrow will also be displayed which denotes the next record.
You can save your Vendor Payment by:
- Clicking on the green tick, saving the current transaction and returns the user to the list.
- Clicking on the blue arrow, saving the current transaction and opens up a new money payment ready for data entry.
- Hitting the ENTER key on the keypad, saving the current transaction and returns the user to the list.