Accounts Payables – Vendor Journal
Vendor Journal Overview
The Vendor Journal screen is the fourth drop-down in the Accounts Payables ‘Data Entry’ menu. The Vendor Journal data-entry screen is used to make adjustments to Vendor balances.
A Journal number is necessary for the entry of Vendor details, and the rest is very similar to all other SapphireOne Vendor data entry screens. This function also has additional ‘Pages’ options available that are identical to those in a Vendor Invoice – Custom, Action, Documents and Workflow.
There are five main areas of the Vendor Journal screen
1. Transaction Area
How to enter Vendor Journal details in the Transaction Area
- Vendor ID – Enter Vendor ID.
- Ext Ref – External reference is an additional field to record any reference that the Vendor may provide.
- Journal No – The sequentially generated number which you can elect to have a suffix or preference specified in Master Defaults. There is also the option to overtype with your unique ID code if required.
- Total – Enter the Total Cost of the transaction including Tax.
- Date In – SapphireOne will automatically enter in today’s date.
To select an alternative date, click on the underlined Date In for a pop-up calendar or manually type in the date.
- Period – SapphireOne will automatically enter in the current Period or the Period relating to the manual Date you entered.
- To select a different period, click on the underlined Period for a pop-up period list.
- Some Periods may not appear on the list as they may be locked (i.e. Transactions for the period are complete).
- Memo – Enter any notes to assist with inquiries in the future. i.e. Warranty claims.
- Document Paperclip – Scan and attach any documents relating to the Client Invoice.
Click here to see how to attach documents to the transaction using the paper clip:
- Click on the red paper clip in the top right side of the Transactions area to attach the first document. A pop up document List will be displayed.
- From the pop up Document List select the green (+) button to add a document. Navigate to the documents location on your computer and select it by clicking on the Open button down the bottom of the screen.
- Then click on the green tick on the main toolbar to attach the document. The paperclip will turn green indicating that there is now a document attached.
- If the paper clip is green document/s have already been attached to the transaction. To add more documents click on the green paperclip and follow the exact same procedure as above to attach additional document/s. Remember to save the document list each time by selecting the green tick on the main toolbar.
- To delete a record or document, click on the Green paperclip, then select/highlight the document to be removed and select the Minus (-) button. A pop up will ask for confirmation of the deletion. Green tick on the main toolbar out when you are done.
2. Information Tab Area
The Information area is used to display extra information about the current entry. You may only view information here, not alter it.
The Information tabs change automatically for the different transactions being viewed. There are seven main tabs in the Vendor Journal Information area. These tabs include:
- Vendor – This Tab displays details about the Vendor ie Total Due displayed by the relevant terms, Credit Remaining and Warning Message.
- Controls – This lists the details of when the transaction was entered, posted and by whom. This Tab also displays the total value of the allocation.
- Allocation – This Tab displays linked data records when there has been an allocation.
- G.L. – This displays the General Ledger details for the account entered in the current invoice.
- Project – If a project has been entered, the project details will be displayed under this tab i.e. Project Name.
- Trans – This tab displays the last 20 transactions. By selecting a historical transaction and then right mouse click you can: Copy Transaction, Copy Lines, Open In Inquiry.
- Error Code – Normally any error information is displayed under the controls Tab. However, the information displayed there is concise and any additional information on an error in a transaction is displayed under this Error Code tab. This is especially useful when there are multiple errors within the one transaction.
3. Standing Transaction Area
How to enter Standing Transaction details: Click here:
The Standing Transactions area is used to set up recurring transactions and controls how often the record is to be created for each period.
A standing transaction is usually given a start date and a finish date.
Click here to see how to set up Standing Transactions:
- Scheduled – You may select Monthly, 30 Days, Fortnightly, Weekly, Yearly, Other or None. By default, the system will not set any dates. These must be entered by the user. If you select ‘Other’ you will be asked to specify the period in days.
- Start/Next Date – The date in field at the top is the Start date. Once you select the frequency from the Scheduled drop-down menu, the system automatically creates the next date of your scheduling. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Start/Next Date.
- Stop Date – A pop-up calendar will appear automatically for you to enter in a Stop date as required. You can also manually enter in a date by clicking on the Stop Date.
4. Transaction Destination Area
The Destination Area is where the lines that go to make up this transaction are entered and if necessary at a later date modified. (Before Posting).
The quickest and easiest method of entering a line is with the keyboard shortcut Command forward slash (/). The system will place the cursor in the Account ID data entry field ready for the entry of a new line.
Lines may be also added to this area by clicking on the green Plus (+) to add a new line, and Minus (-) to delete the currently selected record.
How to enter details in the Destination area:
- Account – This is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Account ID.
- Account Name – Once the Account ID is selected, the system will automatically populate this field with the account name.
- Net Amount – Type in the Net Amount. This is the amount minus tax OR TAB though and enter in Total Amount. The system will either forward or reverse calculate the tax as required.
- Tax Code – Use the Wildcard [( @ or ? ) and TAB ] options to search for the appropriate Tax Code or accept the default code. The % field will automatically populate with the appropriate tax percentage based on the tax code selected. If you would like to change the tax code, simply over-type. The Tax Codes are set up on a Company by Company basis and may be viewed or set up by going to:
- Go to Mode drop-down menu in the top left corner.
- Select Utilities.
- In the top tool bar under Controls select Company.
- Click on the company you would like to set up the tax code.
- Go to Page drop-down menu in the top left corner.
- Select Periods & Taxes to set up the Tax Codes.
- Amount – The system will automatically populate this field with the appropriate tax amount based on the tax amount selected.
- Total – If the User has entered in the Net Amount, the system will automatically populate this field of the total amount based on the amount and tax amount.
- Project – Is a linked field and the User can use the Wildcard [ (@ or ? ) and TAB ] option to search for the Project ID. Please note that a retention can be set by the project and will automatically apply a retention amount. The percentage retained is displayed in the % Applied field which appears, this may be altered on an invoice by invoice basis if required.
- Project Name – Once the Project ID is selected, the system will automatically populate this field with the Project Name.
- Notes – Any additional information relating to each transaction line can be inserted here.
- Transaction List – All of the lines in the transaction are displayed here. It is a convenient list which displays only the basic details of each transaction. You cannot edit from this list. To view or modify any line in this Line Listing area- select the line, the details will then be displayed for you to view or modify in the other relevant areas.
5. Transaction Footer Area
The Transaction Footer is the information bar along the bottom of the screen, and allows for easy checking of the critical details of a transaction. These details include:
- Sequence – The system automatically generates a sequence number.
- Batch – The system automatically generates the batch total. This is the total of all the client invoice that have been entered at any given time.
- Out of Balance – The system automatically generates the Out of Balance Total. The Out of Balance amount must be 0.00 to enable the saving of a record.
- Rules Level – This is a linked field. The User can click on the Rules Level and a pop-up Organisation Chart will appear. Select the Level you would like to apply and hit OK.
- Tag – A drop-down menu allows the User to mark this Vendor Journal with a tag.
Click here to see how to Create, Delete or Manage Tags:
- Note that a tag of HOLD is hardwired into the system. When it is selected the transaction may not be posted until the tag status of HOLD is removed or altered to something other than HOLD.
- Many of the tag headings are user configurable. All of the items in the tag drop down lists may be created by the user.
- To add in a new tag to the list simply type it in and move the focus away, (tab away). The system will ask if you want to add the new tag to the list.
- To remove a tag, select it, then re-select it while holding the Control or Command key down. You will be asked if you want to remove it from the list.
How to save a Vendor Journal
It is important to note that the Out of Balance must always equal to 0.00 before the transaction can be saved.
SapphireOne checks that each transaction entry is complete and balanced before allowing any saving operation. When the Out of Balance is 0.00, the Save button will activate in the top tool bar, and a Blue Arrow will also be displayed which denotes the next record.
You can save your Vendor Journal by:
- Clicking on the green tick, saving the current transaction and returns the user to the list.
- Clicking on the blue arrow, saving the current transaction and opens the next transaction in the list.
- Hitting the ENTER key on the keypad, saving the current transaction and returns the user to the list.