General Ledger Overview
In accounting, the General Ledger is synonymous with accounting and bookkeeping. The General Ledger can also be referred to as the GL, the Ledger and Nominal Ledger. The transaction types that commonly update the Ledger are General Ledger Journals, and sub-ledgers such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Fixed Assets, Inventory, Job Projects and PayRoll/HR.
A Ledger account is created for each account in the Chart of Accounts, and are classified into account categories such as Income, Expenses, Assets, Liabilities and Equity, and the collection of these accounts is referred to as the General Ledger. An organisations Income Statement (Profit and Loss P&L) and Balance Sheet are both derived from income and expense account categories in the General Ledger.
SapphireOne Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software will update sub-ledgers and the General Ledger, with entries drawn from the SapphireOne data file that is shared with other processes managed through the SapphireOne ERP.
General Ledger Inquiry Overview
This General Ledger Inquiry forms the backbone of your organisation and gives the SapphireOne user the ability to view information contained in each individual General Ledger account.
This General Ledger Inquiry screen will only display General Ledger accounts in the Master or local currency. For the Foreign Exchange General Ledger details please refer to the SapphireOne FX General Ledger Inquiry screen.
Listed above are General Ledger Account ID’s with Names that are assigned to them. When read in conjunction with the Class of the account these explain the purpose of the General Ledger account and the type of information it will contain.
The second last ‘Side’ column shows the default side of the General Ledger that these accounts operate on – either Credit ‘Cr’ or Debit ‘Dr’. This helps indicate what financial information each account will contain.
The last ‘Balance’ column displays the current balance for that General Ledger account.
Once a General Ledger account has been highlighted and either Viewed or Modified , the Page menu will be available so you can then access additional information on each account.
How to Customise the Inquiry Screen
The General Ledger Inquiry window lists all General Ledger accounts for the Company the user is currently logged into, by default in the order of the General Ledger ID in ascending order. You can change the sort order by simply clicking on any of the column headings. You can also change the selected column by re-clicking the column heading to change it from ascending to descending, or vice versa.
You can adjust the order of the columns by clicking on the column and dragging to the left or right. Like other List Windows, you can re-organise the information displayed by highlighting and using functions from the Options Menu.
You also have the ability to swap to a Custom Inquiry Screen as detailed below.
All inquiry screens have the option to Customise the list of items that are displayed on screen. The Custom Inquiry Option allows you to select the data fields that are displayed, and the order in which the columns of data are displayed across the screen. While a list of Sales Invoices has been used to demonstrate this here, any type of inquiry may be customised within SapphireOne.
The list below is the Standard Inquiry list.
When the ‘Swap to Custom Inquiry‘ button in the lower left hand corner of the screen is selected SapphireOne will display the default Custom Screen as seen below. This Custom List screen gives the user user two main options when organising the order that the data is displayed:
- To add or remove the data field columns that are displayed on screen. To add or remove a column, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
- To change the order in which the data field Columns are displayed. To change the order of the columns, go to the ‘Setup’ button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Within the Setup screen you can right click on the column lines and select from Delete, Move Left or Move Right. Further information on the Setup screen is documented below.
Once the user has customised the Custom Inquiry screen, the screen view will become unique to the user and each time the user logins they will be shown the same custom view. The user also has the option to select and save unlimited custom views. This can be done in the ‘Setup’ screen as documented below.
The Inquiry screen below is the initial Custom Inquiry screen which may be modified by the user.
Custom Inquiry Screen ‘Setup’ Function
To commence setting up your Customised List screen, select the Setup button as seen above. The Setup screen will be displayed as seen below.
From this screen the user is able to add and remove columns of data as required. Almost every field within the SapphireOne data tables is able to be included in the Custom List screen if the user is authorised.
There are a number of menu items across the top of the screen. These are as follows:
- Reset to Default – Selecting this button will set the display back to default as determined by SapphireOne. When a new data field is selected SapphireOne will add it to the right hand side of the columns of data. You can then click on the field heading and drag it to wherever you want across the screen.
- Show Related Record – You can also add related fields from other tables. Clicking on the checkbox at the top of the screen, allows you to choose a related record and a mini view of the related record for the chosen record will be displayed for the currently selected record. You will need to select the fields displayed.
- Favourite Set – You can use this option at the top left of the screen to save a custom created screen for later use. For example, you can have a simplistic Inquiry screen for general use, and a more complex screen view when auditing certain information.
General Ledger Inquiry Details Page
General Ledger Area
Enter the Account ID, Account Name, and Department ID.
The Company is listed as 0 as an example. This ID is drawn from the set up of your Company in Utilities > Controls > Company.
SapphireOne appends the Department ID to the end of the Account ID to determine the Full Account ID. For example as 1000-0.
It also sets the Active check box. General Ledger accounts may be made inactive if the user wishes. SapphireOne will not allow any General Ledger account to be set to inactivate if it determines that they are essential to the correct operation of SapphireOne. A pop-up will warn the user of this.
Care should be exercised when General Accounts are de-activated as once they have been made inactive SapphireOne will not be able to access these accounts for data entry purposes until they have been re-activated again.
Even if the accounts are inactive, the user still has several options when printing reports from Sapphire Standard Financials. These are to ‘Include In-active without nil balances‘ or to ‘Include All‘ General Ledger accounts which will include all active and in-active General Ledger accounts.
Reporting Groups Area
Enter the Class ID.
From the Class file the Group and Report positions are read. They control the structure of your Income Statement and Balance Sheet.
Please note that General Ledger Classes should be established before General Ledger accounts are set up. You can create these classes by navigating to Accounts > General Ledger > Class.
Data Entry Controls Area
This is where you place the entry on either the Debit or Credit side of the account.
Selecting the Debit or Credit side here is only a preference for the trial balance and entering payments and receipts.
You can use the Time and Date stamp to add the Time and Date and make notes about your action. You can also highlight the text in the notes area and right mouse click to customise the Font, Style, Colour and Background Colour to your preference.
General Ledger Inquiry More Details Page
The More Details Page gives further access to additional areas of account information.
The General Ledger Inquiry Custom area allows for the entry of custom classes and works the same as other Custom Pages within SapphireOne. It contains a set of data fields that the user is able to customise to their liking and keep unique information in for a particular record.
You can customise the names of any field by navigating to Utilities > Controls > Change Names.
User Defined Area
The User Defined area allows for the entry of user defined information.
General Ledger Inquiry Balances Page
The General Ledger Inquiry Balances page tracks the current year General Ledger balances for an account which can have up to 30 accounting periods within one year. It also includes the balances for the previous year.
Selecting the ‘Find Period Audit Line‘ button allows you to select a period. It will then display a breakdown to all audit lines used to make up the balance for that period.
General Ledger Inquiry Budgets Page
The General Ledger Inquiry Budgets page allows you to create budgets for a General Ledger account.
The dropdown ‘Fill Next Years Budget To Revised‘ allows you to select different actions. Use the ‘Budget Fill‘ button to complete the action you have chosen.
General Ledger Inquiry Loan Page
The General Ledger Inquiry Loan page allows you to set up a loan associated to this General Ledger account. Once set up it will generate a journal periodically based on the instalment dates.
General Ledger Inquiry Analysis Page
The General Ledger Inquiry Analysis page gives you the ability to examine a line graph of your Current, Last and Next balances.
General Ledger Inquiry Audit Lines Page
The Audit Lines page provides a breakdown of all audit lines that make a General Ledger account balance. By default this will include all un-posted transactions.
- Exclude Unposted – This excludes un-posted transactions from the display.
- Look Transaction – You may select an Audit line and look at the transaction that created them.
- Open in Inquiry – This open an inquiry window for all audit lines currently displayed.
- Complete History Checkbox – Displays all audit lines for this General Ledger account.
- Recent History Checkbox – Displays the last 12 month audit lines for this General Ledger account.
The Documents Page is used to store and record documents and information relating to data entry, transactions and master tables.
Any type of document can be attached to the Documents area. Examples of types of documents include Adobe Acrobat, Spreadsheet Documents, Word Processor Documents, Photo Files, JPEG, CSV, HEIF, MP4 files and more.
Documents can be attached using Drag & Drop functionality. To use this functionality, simply drag a document or file from the local computer into the Document List screen and it will append automatically.
Please note that when creating a new record in SapphireOne, you are unable to attach a document until the record has an entered ID.
There are eight buttons and icons on the Document List screen. These are as follows:
- When the button is selected SapphireOne will open the currently highlighted document for viewing. (The appropriate software must be installed on the local computer or device).
- When the button is selected SapphireOne displays a popup which asks the user if they want to Import a New Version of the currently highlighted document. (The new version will still be linked to any transactions as was the old version).
- When the Scan button is selected SapphireOne will access a scanner, and following the usual prompts allows the user to Scan a Document Directly into the data file and link it to this transaction. (The appropriate scanner with software must be installed on the local computer, device or network).
- The Save button allows the user to save the currently highlighted document.
- The Link Document button allows the user to link the currently highlighted document to other transaction or transactions in the data file. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection.
- The Link Existing document button allows the user to link an existing document in the data file to this transaction or record. A popup will be displayed allowing the user to make their selection from a list of documents.
- The Delete button when selected will delete the currently highlighted transaction or record.
- When the Add button is selected SapphireOne will display a search function allowing the user to select a document that is currently on the local computer or device.
The Title and Type of the document are displayed in the Details Area.
Last Modified Area
The documents area keeps a record of the Time and Date of when the document was last modified in addition to who initially added it.
The links area allows you to record links to other places this document has been attached to. You can add and remove Links using (+) and (-) .
The history area records changes made to the document.
Any relevant notes which relate to the document may be recorded here. Clicking the green clock icon will add a date/time stamp.